Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

UPDATE:

The Liber Astartes article with the warband's full background and writeup can be found by clicking on the following image:

gallery_48988_6285_15265.png

And in Inspirational Friday: Timelines of Treachery you can find all the fluff/fiction I've written about the warband over years of IF entries.

The mere bones of a project at the moment, but I do hope to (slowly, as my IG are my main army and my Scythes of the Emperor is slow enough. This project is likely to be glacial) build up a Slaanesh-themed CSM force (or, if GW ever produce a pure Slaanesh book, then chaos marines and daemons).

Their name will be the Psychopomps.

In Myth 'psychopomps' are creatures, spirits, angels or deities whose responsibility is to guide newly deceased souls to the afterlife. These marines and their followers have decided to start giving souls a bit of a kick start on that journey.

Edited by Kierdale

Don't forget the Neon thing mainly came in with the Noise Marines. Up until then the fluff had always sided with pastel shades often offset with black or metallics.

As for 500points. That's going to depend on wether you want competitive which will be lord and MSU NM with BM. Or more character which I would say those Cultists sound pretty good. Nailed on masks ;)

Thanks, Forte.

I need to spend some time pouring over the Lexicanum, but are the pastels predominantly an Emperor's Children thing?

Had a couple of ideas for basing this morning. Either...

A. Imperial city ruins. Cult posters and defaced Imperial symbols everywhere. The easier option.

B. Eldar world. Wraithbone (and perhaps lush grass), dead Eldar here and there, all new modelling opportunities. The harder option.

Both ideas would be whites/greys, and so I'm leaning away from the alabaster-armour idea (as it would simply blend in) and towards pastels or neon.

And yes, Xenith, I did rather splash out when I bought the sisters/witches. As ten is a rather small unit I may combine them with some ungors. I used a box of ungors to make my IG penal legion and the kit is really nice. A fairer price too. Plus the image of those scantily-clad ladies cavorting with Pan-like mutants... :D

Pastels date back to the original Realms of Chaos books and were used on Fantasy and 40k forces. The pink & black scheme in the current GW books is what one of their painters decided the EC would currently look like. Don't get me wrong, it looks ok but is really restrictive on a force with potential for so much colour use and individuality.

Like the idea of something neutral for the bases. The Eldar ones sound very fitting with the background too.

My advise for the paint scheme is to look at late 70s and 80s rock bands and pull colors form them. Their colors will pull really well into this. I personally am using the pink as the main color scheme but also I'm adding tattoo like symbols all over the armor in neon.

As for bases if you do Eldar themed Micro Art Studios has a whole set of stuff for you. Which I personally like that theme due to the rival of Slaanesh and Eldar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for the comments and input.

I've settled on a colour scheme: black with pink tentacle-like imagery. The basic idea (and I'll do a couple of marines like this at least) is for the pale pink tentacles to be crawling up from their legs, symbolizing their growing corruption. Others might have the tentacles painted as if originating at their head, chest, arms, etc. perhaps indicative of each individual's...tastes ;). Maybe even some with halved or quartered schemes.

The chapter icon will be a white shoulder with a black skull forming the circle of the Slaanesh symbol. I'll be using GW black skull decals and free-handing the rest of the icon.

One thing I'm not sure of is the armour trim...metallic? Same pink as the tentacles?

Bought a CSM box on the cheap and will use that for the basis of two 5-man noise marine squads. Just need to order some blastmasters.

Will take a look at those Eldar bases, though I like making my own bases so will probably just steal ideas :)

And I have edited some 'chapter' background into the first post.

Sounds pretty good. As for trim. Some just paint it the same as the armour.

I would go with Forte's suggestion and paint it the same as the armor.

Chaos Marines have too much baroque like trim all over their legs. If you painted it metallic, then had pink tentacles - the former would detract from the latter. Metallic is too close to pink - it would just look all jumbled.

Maybe just use black trim on the white shoulder to match the rest of the armor.

The fluff behind these Renegades is sound, so I can't fault it. Will the Khorne element be shown as Berserkers when you eventually get around to them.

And this is just my opinion, but a black and pink scheme sounds like it'll be far too close to the Emperor's Children. However, I have seen black and pink schemes look good and not be too close to that band of misfits.

The fluff behind these Renegades is sound, so I can't fault it. Will the Khorne element be shown as Berserkers when you eventually get around to them.

And this is just my opinion, but a black and pink scheme sounds like it'll be far too close to the Emperor's Children. However, I have seen black and pink schemes look good and not be too close to that band of misfits.

1. Emperor's Children are connoisseurs not misfits

2. There is always room for more pink tentacles

All in good fun. :teehee:

Thanks for the comments.

I was busy with a competition entry until recently but now have time to dedicate to my 'pomps.

Am currently cleaning up bits, and have ordered a couple of blastmasters.

Edit: and yes, if I do feel like expanding beyond mono-Slaanesh then the first company remnants allow me to include Khorne.

At the moment I'm thinking of the following for a 500-point starter:

5 NM w/BM

5 NM w/BM

5 bikers w/melta bomb, 2x melta gun, MoS(?)

Biker lord w/MoS...and whatever else I can afford for him.

Edited by Kierdale

Biker's with MoS are actually pretty good. I know everyone talks about how tough Biker's with MoN are, but if you add Icon of Excess and do the match, MoS Bikers usually do better for the points. With T5 already, MoS Biker's will almost always have FnP and avoid Instant Death. They'll also kill lots of things in CC with HoW and striking first in I5. Just keep that Icon bearer alive.

Also, at 500, you can cut down on points by not giving your NMs Sonic Blasters. Just stick with Blastmaster and Doom Siren.

Also, you could consider doing pink on pink:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff505/nerdfest09/16_zps8752a0f4.jpg

Or purple on black

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/S_BewLyY9uI/AAAAAAAARhM/qOGJduaWKzE/s1600/020.JPG

Or Purple on Purple / Pink on Pink

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/8/12/400614_md-Awesome,%20Pink,%20Purple,%20Rhino,%20Slaanesh.jpg

I actually have one that's Pink on Purple but I'll have to Photog it tomorrow.

Now you're all just showing off :P

But seriously, thanks for posting the images. Inspiring stuff!

I wondered, have any of you used the Edge paint Fulgrim Pink?

Edited by Kierdale

Now you're all just showing off :and

But seriously, thanks for posting the images. Inspiring stuff!

I wondered, have any of you used the Edge paint Fulgrim Pink?

Nope. The old tentacle pink white white added. Emperors Children with white would do the same.

Thanks. Will do.

GW tells me my two NM sets are enroute.

Got some more work done on the basic marines: cut some of the trim from torsos, decided to give one squad horns and one squad topknots (which'll go nicely with the one NM head that also has a topknot). The topknot-squad also have long, long tongues coming out of their helmet grills.

Will be making the noise champ and three regular marines of each squad simply with bolters. Will probably just double-pin the champion's backpacks in place so I can replace them with Doom Sirens as and when necessary when I scale up points-wise.

I'll be buying some push-fit Eldar guardians too for...bitz. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Photos at last!

First up some WIPs of the tongue squad (as opposed to the horn squad. At the moment that's how I differentiate them. No names yet).

All but the blast master-wielder himself.

gallery_63428_9407_17833.jpg

Rotated the backpack vents as I had seen someone else on the B&C do it (who exactly...escapes me, sadly) and I like the look. Added some more spare vents to shoulder pads.

As yet backpackless boy.

gallery_63428_9407_3485.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_23357.jpg

Short tongue grumpyface.

gallery_63428_9407_16511.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_41828.jpg

Other.

gallery_63428_9407_3269.jpggallery_63428_9407_10797.jpggallery_63428_9407_27354.jpg

Champion

gallery_63428_9407_41835.jpggallery_63428_9407_21987.jpggallery_63428_9407_7233.jpg

Still some GS filling to do. Some have bells attached to their backpacks: I need to add them to the backpacks of the other members of this squad (it's likely to be a tongue-squad only feature) and GS some rope around where they attach to the backpack. At the moment the rope simply sprouts from the metalwork.

The champion will have a couple of spiritstones in his left hand. Perhaps one in the curve of his tongue.

Backpack will just be pinned in place.

And the champion of the second squad.

He will have a wounded Eldar guardian kneeling before him. The champion's left arm will be a (GS'd) tentacle holding the guardian's head. The guardian will be bleeding heavily from a inner thigh injury where the champion kneed that spike into him (I figure Eldar have femoral arteries too), and is about to have that kris knife driven into him. Yes, the champion's right hand will be bare skin (he likes to feel the vital fluids...).

The bolter sheath on his left leg will get GS straps going around his leg. I'll try to make it look like stitched skin.

med_gallery_63428_9407_33394.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_16686.jpg

Talking of skinning, I have a nice skin-sheathed knife from the Ungor kit which I intend to give to the champion of my third NM squad. Tongues and bells for one squad, horns for the second, skin for the third.

Aaand I'll be picking up my first two blast master sets this weekend.

• 4 months later...

With my duty to the Imperial Guard in the ETL done, I have just a diorama to finish with them for a local competition, then I'm getting back into this army.

Made an order to GW earlier this week.

On my to-do list/kits bought:

• 2x 5 Noise Marines w/ 1 blast master each. Have also bought a box of three push-fits to work on a colour scheme.
  • 1x 5 Raptors. Bought the Phoenix Lord Baharroth to do as a toppled statue on the champion's base. The champion will be holding Baharroth's left arm (and that holding his sword), standing (or just about to launch off) the broken remains of the statue.
  • Daemonettes. Have decided, inspired by Darth Mustard, to use the Dark Elf witches I bought in a kitbash with Daemonettes for dramatic poses, rather than using them to make cultists.
  • Chaos bikers x 5. Two with melta guns. Also bought Jain Zarr...will be another toppled statue on the champion's base (driving over her....or perhaps have the statue strapped to his bike?). Will have either the champion or another biker armed with her left arm and spear. Am buying WHFB Hellstriders for their crested-helm heads to use. Perhaps give the bikers the Hellstriders whips too.
  • Chaos Lord, Slaanesh mark, bike. Lightning claw? Perhaps magnetise the arm so I have more options. Haven't decided on a head yet (another Hellstrider one? A half-Daemonette/Half-human one? Two heads?). Will have him pulling an Eldar guardian along via chains (hooked into him or wrapped around him) behind his bike.
  • Dark Apostle. Intend to corrupt the SM Master of the Marches. Remove his stick and will have him resting his hand atop the head of one of the two Dark Eldar Slave models. Keep the little Imp. Give the Apostle a forked tongue (perhaps full head replacement). No idea on good armament.
  • Cultists. I have a few Necromunda Goliath gangers to start a couple of cultist squads. Shotgun leaders, one with a heavy stubber. I'm sure I can find a spare flamer. Some with auto/lasguns, others with pistols and hand weapons. Intend to GS over their faces so they have gim- #ahem# tight black leather masks on.
  • Chaos Rhino. Bought a Wood Elf spellsinger to GS up as a captive Eldar/bonnet ornament. She'll be essentially crucified in place via tentacles pouring out of the view slots, hatches, etc.
  • Spawn? Fiends? The remains of the Hellstrider kit will give me a fair bit of human bitz, and five steeds of Slaanesh. I'm thinking of combining them into some Fiends of Slaanesh or Spawn of Slaanesh...though have no idea yet about the rules/which would be best. Good modelling opportunity though. I'm leaning toward the Fiends so I can do something else (more disturbing) for Spawn.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotated the backpack vents as I had seen someone else on the B&C do it (who exactly...escapes me, sadly) and I like the look.

Those would be my guys :wink:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Emperors%20Children/PB075470.jpg

Solid base to the army, looking forward to what you do with the bikers.

Ravenwing bikers have all those nice winged motifs all over them...good for EC, but maybe not for your guys.

Edited by Xenith