Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Pink is a slow colour most of the time anyway.

The pink on my current Noise Marine took three base layers (over white) of Tentacle Pink, a thin wash of Laviathan Purple in the dark areas, then I glazed VMA White for about four layers for the highlights.

Just remember when adding white to a colour that it can take on a chalky look so it may need a thin wash after. Then again, with EC that can give a more pastel look anyway ;)

Just remember when adding white to a colour that it can take on a chalky look so it may need a thin wash after. Then again, with EC that can give a more pastel look anyway :wink:

Thats why you just dont mix plain white in your colours to lighten them. I would either recommend Vallejo Ivory or Icy Yellow instead of white to avoid chalkyness. ;)

Im going to add some Noise Marines to my slowly growing Chaos Marines Force, but after some old school Thousand Sons and some other things.

Just remember when adding white to a colour that it can take on a chalky look so it may need a thin wash after. Then again, with EC that can give a more pastel look anyway :wink:

Thats why you just dont mix plain white in your colours to lighten them. I would either recommend Vallejo Ivory or Icy Yellow instead of white to avoid chalkyness. ;)

Im going to add some Noise Marines to my slowly growing Chaos Marines Force, but after some old school Thousand Sons and some other things.

True but is you want a pastel finish then pure white works well. I'd more recommended a light blue grey otherwise.

You might also be able to mix in some harlequin bits and some ogre kingdoms maneaters for some counts as.

I'd love to add some harlequin bitz but they're so pricey that of I bought any I'd want to use them as-is on the AoP entry.

Maneaters? As some kind of...mutilators? Not sure about them.

On the white issue:

I'm adding white to the pink for highlights along with Lamian to help smooth it, and using a Lamian/Carroburg wash afterwards. It's turning out alright.

Finally got onto highlighting the blue on the pink/blue biker today and did a little freehand (wave/tentacle/hooks) on the blue side. Will do more tomorrow, then glaze it and get onto the purple and green ones.

Is pink such a merciless colour that is requires so much attention? I find it hard to believe it's much worse than white :tongue.: I've got a few ideas for painting my Marines but I'm always looking for tips. Is a lamian wash and/or shade on top always a good idea or is this just because of the more chalky aspect from mixing with white? I do love my washes, but I'd like to say I'm at least using them for a good reason :lol:

Is pink such a merciless colour that is requires so much attention? I find it hard to believe it's much worse than white :tongue.: I've got a few ideas for painting my Marines but I'm always looking for tips. Is a lamian wash and/or shade on top always a good idea or is this just because of the more chalky aspect from mixing with white? I do love my washes, but I'd like to say I'm at least using them for a good reason :lol:

I wouldn't say it is merciless, but I imagine it is one of those colors you have to get just right or it looks weird.

I wouldn't say it is merciless, but I imagine it is one of those colors you have to get just right or it looks weird.

Never a reason not to use washes or glazes.

Pink is one of "those" colours really. Needs to be built up in multiple layers and ideally over white. But it is possible in many ways. Just depends on the finish you want really and how patient you are ;)

As for white. I find a very light grey and white highlights works better :tu:

Is pink such a merciless colour that is requires so much attention? I find it hard to believe it's much worse than white :tongue.:

Its like all "light" colors like yellow, orange, red (if you want to highlight it not looking pink) and some others especially if you work an a black primed miniature.

An airbrush can be a good tool to help someone there but still more work intensiv than Dark Angels or something like that.

I personly never paint plain white, i use some off-white and then use pure white as a highlight.

Cool, I have a good selection of washes so I'll give it some experimentation. Thanks for the tips I'll be trying them out as soon as I can - I added the snap fits to a friend's order but he made the mistake of going with Wayland Games, who seem content to measure order processing in weeks these days :sad.:

Cool, I have a good selection of washes so I'll give it some experimentation. Thanks for the tips I'll be trying them out as soon as I can - I added the snap fits to a friend's order but he made the mistake of going with Wayland Games, who seem content to measure order processing in weeks these days :sad.:

Hahahahahahaha. Sorry, thought you said you went with Wayland. Oh...see that order next month. Or 2015 ;)

No glazing photos for you yet as I'm still layering pink on the noise marines and have been enjoying doing freehand on the bikers, some successfully, some not so...

Pink/blue:

med_gallery_63428_9407_85870.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_5020.jpg

I had originally gone for a kind of tsunami wave on the blue side but it looked awful so I repainted the blue and went with swirls.

Pink/purple:

gallery_63428_9407_12714.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_34289.jpg

Checks still being filled in (and still to do on the rider). I may be a masochist (in which case I'm in the right place) as I'm rather enjoying doing the checks. The lines are deliberately not parallel. I could never do Lamenters.

Will highlight each check once the bikers's also done.

Need to think up some freehand for the pink areas (I did a little doodling on the biker's left shin but will redo it). Perhaps something wavy/mazelike. Curves, to contrast with the sharp lines of the checks.

Pink/green:

The one I'm least happy with. The pink and the freehand on it is fine (not perfect, but it was good practice and I'm happy with that aspect) but I tried for a kind of tiger-stripe camo on the green - the third time I've tried to do such a camo on a model - and I just can't get it right. I plan to redo it as more stereotypical/animal tiger/zebra stripes in a dark green after I've finished the purple checks. The base green colour itself I am happy with.

gallery_63428_9407_15957.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_59590.jpg

And heads and backpacks:

med_gallery_63428_9407_80806.jpg

No rush, still no sign of the models :lol: If this is what we get in exchange though, I'm happy to wait longer :P That's some excellent freehand, looks really good! I was considering something like this for my Marines but I'll definitely give it a go after seeing this. I'll probably fail miserably but you've got to start somewhere. The bikes don't have too much space for something fancy, so we'll have to wait for a tank or something to see your Hokusai impression ;)

The bikers are progressing well. I'm working on the silver trim and leather skin areas now.

Also getting on reasonably with the Noise Marines. Thanks to my wet palette I've got a way to get pinks I like and keep them for at least a couple of sessions.

Must remember to take some before/after shots when it comes to the glazing.

I'm itching to get started on my 'Typhus' lord and/or Ghoul-spawn but I'm also determined not to fail my CoC vow. Other projects will be the reward for completing it. :)

I came all this way for no pictures? :P

So flog me.

And lay it on hard!!!

#ahem#

My next post will have photos.

Today I'll snap some quickies at work of the bikers, and some before/after of the NM as soon as possible. Tonight or tomorrow I hope.

Sounds like progress is good, I even heard that my snap fits are on their way too so I'll be joining in with the fruity colour schemes soon :D

Glad to hear models are enroute!

You may raise your eyebrows at the left arm of the pushfits. It's like one big glove. Ugly but thankfully not particularly noticeable. Throw some freehand on it, for example.

Recently I saw a link to a post on From The Warp about painting pink. I thought you might want to take a look:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.jp/2012/09/the-flawless-host-and-how-to-paint-pink.html?m=1

I have a pink I'm happy with now, but I'm keen to try the 'white basecoat glazed with diluted light pink' that's in the link too.

Ok, I'll borrow your lash we gave you on leaving your position. You've still got it right? :P

Thanks a lot Kier, that link looks really good. I'm eager to start tackling pink so it looks like I'll be able to dedicate some good time over Christmas to this :D I'm not too worried about the push fits as it's just to work on, the actual models will be... whatever I end up deciding on. Still not sure yet :P