Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Painting a Simple Power Sword

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

BKZer0

BKZer0

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts

Below I outlined steps for painting a simple power weapon. I did not take in-process pictures of the procedure I instead opted for some CG pictures I made. I will take pictures of the steps being performed on an actual model when I paint my next plasma rifle.

What you need:

- Black Primer

- Dark Base Color. (For Green: Snot Green/Warpstone Green   For Blue: Ultramarines Blue/Altdorf Guard Blue)

- Light Highlight Color: (For Green: Scorpion Green/Moot Green   For Blue: Ice Blue/Lothern Blue)

- Skull White/White Scar

- Boltgun Metal/Leadbelcher

- Badab Black/Nulin Oil Wash

- **OPTIONAL** Thrakka Green/Biel-Tan Green Wash

Procedure:

1. Prime the part black.

1.jpg

2. Paint the entire blade of the weapon with the dark base color. Try the get a nice smooth surface.

2.jpg

2b.jpg

3. Paint the top 75% of the blade with the light highlight color. Try to wet blend the color as much as possible. The better the gradient, the more believable the effect will be.

3.jpg

3b.jpg

4. Paint approximately 50% the blade white. Try to wet blend again as much as possible. The gradient effect is very important here. The easiest way to do this is to water the paint down HEAVILY, almost so it is transparent. Then just continue to add layers of white getting closer and closer to the tip with each later, adding less and less paint. Use side to side strokes across the width of the blade, not lengthwise.

4.jpg

4b.jpg

5. Once the tip of the blade is completely white, Paint the metal bits on the blade with a silver metallic.

5.jpg

6. Carefully wash the metal bits, and the edge of the blade where it meets the guard with black wash. This will make the blade appear to glow in comparison to the dark edges.

6.jpg

7. **OPTIONAL** Wash over the black edges and metal bits with green wash. This tones down the black, and blends the whole look together a little better.

7.jpg

That's it, you are done. Here is a picture of a finished power sword with this procedure performed.

8.jpg

ravensbanner.jpg

tomsev

tomsev

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 942 posts

very nice simple and easy tut you got there!!  

good job!!

Edited by tomsev, 21 February 2014 - 09:25 PM.

6954089749a1b00m3.jpg    ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

my grey knights wip:  http://www.bolterand...updated-020713/

Ultrad81

Ultrad81

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts

This is really useful, looks awesome!  Thanks!  

Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gif gallery_29004_6198_9307.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,777 posts
Very good indeed.
I've honestly never tried wet blending.
This looks like a good place to start it.

Argent aquila

Argent aquila

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 885 posts
Lovin it!

Tundaran Knights WIP Thread

http://www.bolterand...d-small-update/

Inquisitor Seylek

Inquisitor Seylek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 68 posts

Thanks, I was wondering how to do this. 

Also, I can use a similar effect for my Grey Knight Force Weapons - maybe going outwards from a dark central line, rather than upwards from the base. B

But thanks again for this really good yet basic and understandable tutorial.

"Tear it down! Tear it all down! Let nothing stand before us, for we are the final destruction, the ending of all constructs, the doom of all plans. Let nothing and no-one stand in our way"

Warmaster Ilskar of The Hadeans

Sanguine_Knight

Sanguine_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts

Very cool... I like this effect better than the lightning. Gonna try it out

Lord Xcapobl

Lord Xcapobl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 81 posts

I, too, will definately have to try this at least once. Clear tutorial, thanks.

There is but one dumb question; the one you never ask. For you will never get an answer to that one either!

SCOTT_FRANCIS

SCOTT_FRANCIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,564 posts

You made that look really simple. Thanks. I am going to try it with reds and oranges going opposite directions either side of the blade.

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei.jpgETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg