How good are the Black Library ebooks in terms of format?

blstrmstr

I have 12 WH40K omnibuses in paperback along with a few single paperbacks. Currently I'm looking into doing digital on a Kindle for all my books, and notice the Black Library is the only official place to buy 40K ebooks.

Does anyone have experience with the ebooks sold from the Black Library? How is the formatting on a Kindle?

I ask since I have never bought an ebook not from Amazon.

I have a few and the formatting is good.  Depending on the font size, it would be similar to reading any paperback book.  I like it and it's convienient for travelling, but honestly, I prefer to feel of the book in my hand.  It's the same reason I prefer the physical codices over the digital version.

As per Cormac, found no differences worth commenting on between the ebooks from BL and those from Amazon, on my kindle at least. BL supply the ebooks as either mobi or equivalent format.

I'm a book tragic, but find myself much preferring eBooks for novels. Easier to hold, to carry, always have perfect lighting, don't have to worry about avoiding dog-earring or bending back the spine.

Novels & shorts are very good in all the e-formats BL use (.mobi for kindle & .ePub for other reader types. If you are planning on getting the digital versions of the codexes, etc, then you are better off using ePub (unless you go the extra mile and buy a kindle fire, which has a colour screen). Or use caliber or similar as others have mentioned. I have used all of the above at various times without any issues.

But that is for convenience when travelling - I still prefer a real book available! ;-)

but find myself much preferring eBooks for novels. Easier to hold, to carry, always have perfect lighting, don't have to worry about avoiding dog-earring or bending back the spine.

Not to mention storrage. I once had my a neat order where every BL book and audio drama was shown in the bookshelf. Now there are books behind books and they are all pilled on each other in a dissorder. They would all fit in 1(maybe 2) USB stick(s)tongue.png In my now quite big databas I have them organized Chapter by Chapter.

To answer the OPs question: There is nothing strange with the format. The only problem(for some) is getting used to it, after that it's all good.

You will notice that after purchase, you can select the format for download (.mobi for Kindle).  I downloaded to my laptop then transferred them to my Kindle and phone (I have the Kindle app for my Android phone).  The first thing you will notice is that you will NOT find them in the "Books" tab via the navigation bar at the top of your screen.  Even though placed in the "Books" folder when transferring.  They will be found in the "Docs" tab from the nav bar....I have NO idea why.  Once you open the item, the cover art will appear in your carousel but not before.  You can shortcut it if you like, but that is a personal choice.  Unless the BL decides to offer their products off site and on Amazon, I see no reason to believe it will be any different....PITA.

The BL can be a PITA in other ways at times too.  I bought several titles (mostly shorts) and then a few days later my card was denied at a local business.  Apparently when they ran my transaction in the UK, it showed up in the US days later and just a few hours before it got denied.  Automatic flag by my bank as their computer didn't think I could travel from the UK to the US in less than 3 hours.  GW does in fact have a US headquarters and in this day and age one might think they could figure out a way to run their operations better but that is another (long time) gripe for another thread in another section.

I also got a couple of audio titles....still trying to get used to "storytime with grandpa" but that is my issue.  After doing the same as above in transferring the files to my Kindle (HDX 8.9 BTW), I cannot find the files.  I placed them in the "Audio" folder but have not been able to find much less access them.  Maybe for sh*ts and giggles I'll put them in the "Docs" folder and see what happens.

Other than the exclusivity issues with Amazon and their Kindles creating their own set of "exclusive" hurdles, the book titles read just as easily as a paperback though they do not take up the same amount of physical space nor require a bookmark to remember ones place.

I have a Kindle 3 Keyboard and haven't had any of the issues you're describing. You put stuff in the main folder and they appear there.

Which folder is "the main folder"?  I put the readers in the "Book" folder and the MP3's in the "Audio" folder.

What kind of Kindle you got?

I know the Android one, you just put it in the Kindle folder. Not any of the inner folders, though there is only one with temp files. Just the Kindle folder.

On my actual Kindle, made obsolete by the phone, I again just put it in the main folder like with the Android, unless it's a series or general IP (like all of 40k). Then I created a folder to put it in.

Maybe post a screenshot here, if you are still having trouble. I am sure somebody here has the same version you have, or can explain it to you.

I have a Kindle 3 Keyboard and haven't had any of the issues you're describing. You put stuff in the main folder and they appear there.

Which folder is "the main folder"? I put the readers in the "Book" folder and the MP3's in the "Audio" folder.

I think your one is a couple of generations newer than mine.

Not really except that the Audiobook titles I have from the BL might have to go into the Music folder because they are MP3's, instead of the Audio folder which only recognizes AA and AAX formats.  The eBooks I have from the BL are the .mobi ones and I can read them fine, just that they are accessed from the Docs tab when I put them in the Books folder....quirky....

Archived