Urban Dazzle Camo WIP

our_baz

Hey Guys,

Found this box in the loft in parents house much to my surprise it contained a 18 year old fully assembled (all be it badly) Basilik.

DSC 0145

This has given me the opportunity to try a test camo scheme for my Imperial guard army. I've taken inspiration from the dazzle camo used on warships during WWI and WWII, but I've applied an urban colour scheme. Here are the early results (apologies for poor photo)

Urban Dazzle Camo WIP 1

Be interested to here your thoughts on the early results.

Cheers

Welcome to the Guard! Now that box is old school! I've still got a red Leman Russ box (and the tank still has the awful paint job...) and it never fails to invoke nostalgia whenever I see it. So obviously I hide it away so I don't keep drifting off into yesteryear :P

Your camouflage looks really good. I almost did an urban scheme for my Guard, the blocky pattern is a nice mix of random and order but I'm not quite brave enough to try it out. Not yet at least, I could do a block temperate pattern one day perhaps? It's a very good version of the old naval disruption patterns as that was my first thought when I say the picture, I imagine it took a little while to do but it looks great for it!

Have you thought about how you'll do the infantry?

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I'll keep updating photos on the WIP once a finish that side of the tank. Thinking I might of made a rod for my own back here as I've got Leman Russ and a Sentinel waiting to be painted as well.

Warriorfish: Yeah the pattern has taken a while to get going, about 4 hours at the minute. I've already got my first squad painted, taken a design cue from the Household Cavalry. Red Tunics, white trousers, with silver flak armour, I'll attempt to upload a photo a some point.

That sounds really good, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. Sentinels are quick and easy to paint as they're fairly small, so that might be a good vehicle to do next. It'll give you a bit more to experiment with before you get to the larger surfaces of the Russ.

Although my vehicles are without camouflage currently my infantry isn't, so I know well the troubles of painting an army with a relatively complicated/detailed scheme. However I also know that it's all worth it in the end, so keep the faith and you will be rewarded with a good looking army on the table top :D

#UPDATE#

Took a little longer than expected. However the first side has been finished. The lighter greys need a second coat, plus a fair amount of touching up / highlighting to do. Just started on the main body will update some better photos if I can find my camera and tripod.

DSC 0149

#Update#

Painting speed picking up. The large flat areas were really quick to do. I reckon the larger Russ and Baneblade might be easier still.

Urban dazzle 3rd update

Urban dazzle 3rd update

still one more side to go followed by a lot of touching up and highlights.

Great to hear, I reckon that inspiring someone is the best compliment you can be given and this scheme does just that! We look forward to seeing your vehicle camouflage soon biggrin.png

If I wasn't so busy I'd be stealing this as a base for experimenting with my own vehicle camouflage tongue.png

#UPDATE#

Been granted soem free time, so powered by cups of tea and Flash FM I've managed to finish the final side and lay the metal work and some washes.

P3180068

P3180069

P3180070

Heres an image of what I'm going for with the army. Heavy camo for the armour and big targets the their backs for the grunts.

P3180071

A really nice tank and a lovely old box XD (I think I have 3-4 of that type of boxes laying around somewhere. Nostalgia from ages past!)

The camo scheme works very well and I am looking forward to seeing it finished up with highlights and such. The scheme reminds me a whole lot of the first Cities of Death book (my favourite Games Workshop book of any kind ever) and I have always been in love with it.... Indeed, if I ever reinforce my old guard army I might have to try something similar.

Ohh and a nice scheme on the little Cadiaman next to it^^ Striking in red and white.

• 2 months later...

Been a long time coming this update. Been easily distracted by other projects. Tracks complete and highlights on gun carriage and front armour.

DSC 0166

Not overly happy with the tracks. I used a basecoat of Tin Bitz followed by a dry brush with boltgun metal. What colours / techniques do you guys use when painting tracks?

Archived