Children of Cuth'Vasi: The Skies Bleed Ash

Flint13

The Lineage of Cuth Va'san

"We are what lies at the end of the Crimson Road."

With a screaming wrench of tearing metal, the entire turret assembly of the Chimera carrier deformed and detached. A small grunt of effort, and Tanou Loh'ki strengthened his mind's grasp, sending the weapon cupola spinning off down the side of the mountain.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/827/hjz0.jpg

Tanou's bond-brother, Haekon Jed'daai frowned inside his warhelm. Loh'ki was a brutally powerful telekine, but he lacked finesse. Many crafts require finesse. It took much to craft a pyre.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/593/dewl.jpg

Flexing his mind, Jed'daai slipped through the passages of the racing engine of the laboring troop carrier as it revved frantically, attempting to pull away. "Come to me little fire daemons, I will feed you, make you strong..."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/513/obq8.jpg

From the interior of the troop compartment, flame gusted out of every access point and firing slit in a howling typhoon. The ash remains of what were once soldiers filtered from the smoking cracks of the vehicle's armor.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/534/t7la.jpg

Loh'ki turned to regard his bond brother, eye lenses locked to Jed'daai's MK4 helm. The telekine's right fist clutched his massive bard-lance as his helmet dipped slowly to one side. Left hand extending, one shockwave of telekinetic force skewed the Chimera's burning wreckage far enough to the edge of the roadway, that it fell from the track in a shower of mud to careen down the mountainside.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/845/6vr7.jpg

Haekon Jed'daai turned from the valley, now full of burning ruins and destroyed vehicles. His gaze fell upon the several dozen World Eaters clustered at the roadside around the two psykers. "Children of Cuth'vasi!" His vox amplified cry rang out, "Sons of Vashear, progeny of Furyia and get of Da'Kian. We are the end of the Crimson Road."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/35/mdax.jpg

"And such," His voice boomed as he gestured behind him with his heavy rung-axe, "is the fate of all traitors!"

The assembled World Eaters roared, weapons raised skywards. Haekon Jed'daai smiled. It took much finesse to craft a pyre.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/585/b3i6.jpg

(left) Librarius Telekineticus Tanou Loh'ki (right) Librarious Pyrotechnicus Haekon Jed'daai

**Evening all! This will be the newly minted thread for my rebel World Eaters. Everyone one feel free to comment, constructively criticize and enjoy the (hopefully) cool models and fluff as my little band develops. Just keep it on topic ^_~ **

**A super special thanks also goes out to everyone here on B&C who helped me craft my fluff and initial models, as well as gave me the creative push to get this li'l plog started. These awesome folks include Jaspcat, Vazzy, Kol_Saresk, Noctis Cornix, 1000Heathens, Brother Chaplain Kage, DarkVen, DepthCharge12, Rune_Priest_Rhapsody, Forte, Brother Heinrich, Barabbas Sogalon, Honda, Koriel, Knight of the Raven, KrautScientist, Pyromancer, Mikhail, Recon0321, Redmoon, Wicced, Tanith Ghost, The_Chaplain, Vissah, and Augustus b'Raass. If I have forgotten anybody, please blame my waning mental capacity in my old age, and not my gratitute**

Your painting skills have increased by leaps and bounds in a short period of time. Be proud.

Suggestions: Paint the skulls a bone color. they look very out of place the same shade as the warpaint. A bloody handprint on each would be cool too.

Chipping and damage: Since you're using the same white recipie I use, try this out. Make small chips and thin line gouges with a medium to dark grey, and underline the damage with pure white. After it gets hit with a coating of Matte sealer, you'll get something like this poor Star Phantom...

med_gallery_37532_7179_53118.jpg

I swear, it's easy after a little practice.

The dude with the halberd is very nicely done, the blue is very pleasing and well highlighted. To echo what heathens said, try painting the skulls and bone pieces with a bleached bone color. All I do for mine is paint 3 or so coats of Vallejo Bone to make sure it's nice and smooth, then hit it with a brown wash. simple as that and it really stands out from white armor. As always keep pushing yourself and definitely stick with whatever you did for the blue on halberd guy, it's working.

You're of to a great start with those models and I'd say you got the hang of painting force weapons. You've achieved a nice ripple effect which looks like they are brimming with power and from an angle the halberd almost looks like translucent ice :tu:

For battle damage you can also use a small piece of sponge and a pair of tweezers to apply irregular patters to select areas. More of a pain to highlight though compare to single nicks and scratches.

Personally, I wouldn't use the sponge technique on white, as it's really easy to go overboard, and really tough to fix mistakes without making it obvious you screwed up.

Nicks and scratches are an easy way to control a battered look, while minimizing mistakes.

well tickle me subscribed. those models look great and you're off to a great start. just for the record i'm not great at painting white so i can't offer any advice on it, just simply admire your awesome models and look forward to your next batch. really love the blade and fluff too. 

Personally, I wouldn't use the sponge technique on white, as it's really easy to go overboard, and really tough to fix mistakes without making it obvious you screwed up.

Nicks and scratches are an easy way to control a battered look, while minimizing mistakes.

True enough. Although i only use a very small piece of sponge, almost miniscule, for some added controle but each to his own I suppose.

Edit: and of course one should only apply a new technique (that could possibly ruin a model if going overboard) after trying it out on a scrap model first. :)

How does his new finished backpack (and skull buddies) look?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/69/gzd7.jpg

Replies! (Remembered to multi-quote!)

TheWarmaster, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:01, said:

That power blade is awesome. I knew you'd have to use that Libby model.

Fluff is excellent, and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Especially the rumored armor.

Thanks! Yup, just had to get rid of the weird goatee head and creepy baby first happy.png

Reyner, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:04, said:

How have you done the white armour? Looks great.

Thanks! My armor is super simple. With help from 1000Heathens, I have found the easiest way to paint white is to never actually use pure white. He's Astronomicon gray, badab black in the recesses, then highlighted with 50/50 white scar, then edge highlighted with about 75% white scar.

depthcharge12, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:05, said:

Sweeeeeeeeet

Have you considered trying your hand at painting Maori paint whorls on the armor? I love me some tribal msn-wink.gif

Jungle fever marines indeed

Thought about it. I'll give it a try when I run out of fun ways to paint pointy red dags.

Noserenda, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:13, said:

Superb start! (And good to see you chose World eaters msn-wink.gif )

Thanks!

1000heathens, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:17, said:

Your painting skills have increased by leaps and bounds in a short period of time. Be proud.

Suggestions: Paint the skulls a bone color. they look very out of place the same shade as the warpaint. A bloody handprint on each would be cool too.

Chipping and damage: Since you're using the same white recipie I use, try this out. Make small chips and thin line gouges with a medium to dark grey, and underline the damage with pure white. After it gets hit with a coating of Matte sealer, you'll get something like this poor Star Phantom...

*Snip for space*

I swear, it's easy after a little practice.

I'll give it a try on a rank and file guy. Thanks!

forte, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:22, said:

Damn. Strong start there Flint.

Good to hear!

Brother Heinrich, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:34, said:

The dude with the halberd is very nicely done, the blue is very pleasing and well highlighted. To echo what heathens said, try painting the skulls and bone pieces with a bleached bone color. All I do for mine is paint 3 or so coats of Vallejo Bone to make sure it's nice and smooth, then hit it with a brown wash. simple as that and it really stands out from white armor. As always keep pushing yourself and definitely stick with whatever you did for the blue on halberd guy, it's working.

How do the little skulls look now?

And thanks for the tips. I painted the blue pretty much the same as my Nightlords (Kantor, Altdorf Guard, Edge w/ Ice), but I top coated it with a super thin layer of Tamiya clear blue instead of Drakenhoff Nightshade.

Koriel, on 26 Feb 2014 - 13:51, said:

You're of to a great start with those models and I'd say you got the hang of painting force weapons. You've achieved a nice ripple effect which looks like they are brimming with power and from an angle the halberd almost looks like translucent ice thumbsup.gif

For battle damage you can also use a small piece of sponge and a pair of tweezers to apply irregular patters to select areas. More of a pain to highlight though compare to single nicks and scratches.

Thanks! It took a few tries, but I happened on a technique for it that is *silly* simple. The blade is dark dark blue, highlighted and did those little slashes with ice blue, then edge highlighted with astronomicon. Then I gave it a coat of super thin Tamiya clear blue. *BAM* done.

The sponge technique and I have a really rocky relationship. She killed my best dark eldar paintjob cry.gif

Then I left her for brushes and never looked back!

leinmann, on 26 Feb 2014 - 14:02, said:

well tickle me subscribed. those models look great and you're off to a great start. just for the record i'm not great at painting white so i can't offer any advice on it, just simply admire your awesome models and look forward to your next batch. really love the blade and fluff too.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's why I like posting stuff happy.png

deathspectersgt7, on 26 Feb 2014 - 14:03, said:

The new addition looks great flint the bloody hand print looks cool.thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Glad to hear it paid off. Getting it down was a pain, but seems like I can do them pretty well now.

Knight of the Raven, on 26 Feb 2014 - 14:10, said:

Loyalist World Eaters squeeeeeeeee

Haekon Jed'daai would get along well with the Lion. laugh.png

They look good. I like how you shaded the white; it's certainly better than they way I do it (which can only be summed up as "NULN OIL EVERYWHERE BWAHAHAHA").

Yeah, I've been doing bad guys for too long.

Hah, that's exactly how I started. Then I realized it looks a little better when I was careful with it happy.png

daemonclaw, on 26 Feb 2014 - 14:50, said:

thats a solid start ,for the skulls you could wash a little agrax earthshade on them to give a more organic bone look

the powerblade is good it reminds me of a frost blade might have to yoink that for my wolf boys

I was actually thinking that while I was painting it. "Gosh, I wish I could have painted frosty weapons this well when I was playing Space Wolves back in 2000... Anywho, yoink away happy.png

That libby is looking good, Flint.

True, and if you have an airbrush, the hairspray technique might be another option.

Haekon Jed'daai smiled. It took much finesse to craft a pyre.

tumblr_inline_mycsf0zy7h1qeixlc.gif

Yes... The Fire Rises.

Excellent work Flint, usually I have a great dislike for the World Eaters as I still have trouble seeing them as anything more than 2-dimensional madmen like their 40k counterparts. However, threads like this remind me that behind the bloodcrazed fury there used to be warriors, men of honour who once sought something more than just the next skull. Well done indeed sister.

Lovely job. Nice touch with the chain-links on the hand. One of the main reasons I originally thought about doing World Eaters were the little touches they had in Betrayal, chain-links, scarification marks, nails marks, etc for the armour. A lot of scope of adding little details to the models.

I see that the star phantom that heathens posted had the same reaction I did. That new librarian has to be among your best pieces!

Now I'm even more excited to see your super secret project ;)

P.S. your new avatar is creepy.

Sort of wish I'd read this before royally :cussing my Imperial Fists praetor.

Lovely work Flint, lovely work, gonna follow this one closely.

Archived