"……by my hands shall the false Emperor fall"

No worries Umbra Lynx, looking good bro probably a better idea than mine - I was doing some greenstuff any way and can do basic shapes so just went with that :tu:

@ Kolgrim Deathhowl, cheers buddy I so he has a lot to live up to as it’s my favourite character too ;)

Had a game today, lost 13-8 to my Bro’s 1k Sons. They are not quite finished yet, but these marines were looking moody in the back lines (until his Daemon Princes munched them!)

gallery_46632_15997_59285.jpeg

All the best for 2020 guys :tu:

Did a little bit more work on the Warmaster in the form of his trophy poles, I still have one to add to the back (Sanguinary Guard :P ) and I also have to sort the bullets out trailing from the Talon as they look unnatural atm. Overall though, I am quite happy where he is going.

gallery_46632_15997_793297.jpeg

Thanks for the reply Kolgrim, glad you like :tu:

Valek’s other wing options arrived in the post, Dark Eldar (they are still that to me!) Scourge ones -

gallery_46632_15997_631083.jpeg

Much better I think, though they are only blu-tac’d over the possessed ones it gives a good idea. Yes I know he has no arms :D

It has got me thinking about a more aggressive pose with some movement for Valek, as the wings would suit that style of pose and maybe using the body and legs of this as a base for Devram Korda who I am planning in the future *scratches chin*

The new wings are much better, simply because they aren't quite as perfectly symmetrical (and less toylike in design by far). I think I'd keep the static pose, though: It has a nice, iconic look to it, as if he's screaming at the moon, with his enemies' lifeblood running down his chin in rivulets ;)

100% improvement - it’s something I hadn’t really seen as those possessed wings looked alright, or so I thought, even just offering up the scourge ones totally changed his silhouette so for that I thank yaw! Comment and critique is always welcome for that particular reason. Also, not in that photo, his lack of arms make them look like withered tentacles from the wings :D :D

I still may try out a conversion based on one of the greater possessed however, because I like the idea of Valek being some sort of semi-Daemon Prince if you will, well on his way. Also, one of the possessed kind of mirrors his Flesh Eater Armour - ie bones where the muscle armour is, a leering face on his knee where the sculpt of Sanguinius is etc.

So we shall see!

Edited by Midnightmare

• 2 weeks later...

@ Kolgrim, Eldude and Quixus - thanks for the replies guys, glad you like. I have really tried to capture his movement and sheer brutality. The cloak of skulls I wasn’t sure on but it is such a part of his character that it has to stay. It does seem to work better on the new version. I have some progress on Valek, and some better pictures -

gallery_46632_15997_293161.jpeg

gallery_46632_15997_835624.jpeg

gallery_46632_15997_40627.jpeg

gallery_46632_15997_1123141.jpeg

Greenstuff needs tidying up and I am going to add some teeth to his gorget if I can find some small enough :tu:

RE the dual lighting claws, they are great yes (and they do look great also, he has tried them on via the power of magnets ;) ) but the dual Chainswords is a Black Legion build, when one of them is replaced with a relic that causes mortal wounds on a 6+. This can then be dropped down to a 5+ and even a 4+ via the power of rules shenanigans. It also looks pretty cool. He is magnetised though for future proofing as I do like to do that :tu: Spineshiverlord? My version with the Black Legion Relic, the Spinshiver Blade which is a Daemon Sword :tu: I might pair it with a thunder hammer just for fun!

Also, I didn’t want to limit Valek to Khorne, but couldn’t help myself as, yanno, blood for the blood god an’ all :devil: (Skulls for the skull cloak.....)

Edited by Midnightmare

Hmm, I'll be honest: I was a little disappointed at first, because I really liked the previous version of Valek and would have loved to see it finished.

Then again, the latest version also looks really promising, and he's so massive and monstrous.

Ideally, and I speak as someone who has had massive fun building multiple models showing the same character during different stages in their life (of unending war, of course), you would finish both versions: The first one would show Valek relatively shortly after his fall to the ruinous powers, already changed by his new master, but still recognisably an Astartes with much of the pride and majesty of his previous life remaining, whereas the latest guy is Valek after centuries, or even millennia, spent in the Great Eye, the warp transforming him into something ever more daemonic to suit his feral and sinister nature. I think that would give you a lovely little triptych of models -- just sayin'...

Hmm, I'll be honest: I was a little disappointed at first, because I really liked the previous version of Valek and would have loved to see it finished.

Then again, the latest version also looks really promising, and he's so massive and monstrous.

Ideally, and I speak as someone who has had massive fun building multiple models showing the same character during different stages in their life (of unending war, of course), you would finish both versions: The first one would show Valek relatively shortly after his fall to the ruinous powers, already changed by his new master, but still recognisably an Astartes with much of the pride and majesty of his previous life remaining, whereas the latest guy is Valek after centuries, or even millennia, spent in the Great Eye, the warp transforming him into something ever more daemonic to suit his feral and sinister nature. I think that would give you a lovely little triptych of models -- just sayin'...

I do like your thinking over using the same character, especially seeing them evolve perhaps with a Daemon Prince (or a spawn!) at the end of the journey however that’s not what I have planned for the version based on the Havoc Champ - fear not he’s not going on the bin! I actually plan to convert him into Warmasters Chosen and Lord Ravager, Devram Korda from the famous artwork B)

That way I also get a Slaanesh Lord, a friend for Urkanthos and when I get the other two done, a mini diorama for Abaddon and his Chosen :) I have already made some modifications to Abaddons base to tie them together (it’s further along than this now with the gaps filled and covered in sand -

gallery_46632_15997_192417.jpeg

The idea is the Warmaster striding through the middle, and his Chosen looking menacing standing around him.

Edited by Midnightmare

Thanks Horrible!

Here is where his face is at so far!

gallery_46632_15997_14426.jpeg

Not perfect by any stretch, but I am more than happy how it he is going so far as I really struggle with faces. He looks suitably angry and grizzled, which is the look I am going for. The left eye might look like it had dropped slightly, but that is the light as I have actually painted them gold :tu:

Still loads to do, but I am really enjoying him so I don’t mind. As a side note, I am also listening to Master of Mankind whilst painting him, so I am really itching to get onto Drach’nyen :devil:

Thanks Kolgrim, I am am quite happy with it as I struggle with faces (notably eyes!) hence why I normally go for lids or glowy eyes. I would like to improve the Chaos star on his forehead but it’s so tiny I think that is the best I can do!

Next up either his cloak or go in on Drach’nyen properly :tu:

Thanks guys! It made my own eyes go all funny painting them. I am not 100% happy but I genuinely don’t think I could do them any better without bursting a vein in my head from squinting :D

gallery_46632_15997_130816.jpeg

M41......there is going to be an ‘Empire’ coming to an ‘End’ :devil:

Nearly there! Base to do next (which is complicated in itself!) then on to the weathering :tu:

gallery_46632_15997_50080.jpeg

The dead Primaris on the base is going to be a Blood Angel honourguard as I feel the colours will tie in to the whole model better. Fear not smurf haters, there is an Ultramarine lieutenant helmet up there on his trophy rack!