codex crimson slaughter.... yup, GW really hates us.

No Trevak, evidentally all your drop pods self destruct the second you turn from the emperor's good graces

Not true! They just get ridiculously expensive and yet are somehow still overpowered because Forgeworld is pay to win.

Do you remember the legion veterans skills update rumour? Guess which Chaos war band that has chosen gets to give its chosen skills from the USR list... Just turned renegade, we dumped all of our new equipment (because we want to be hipster), but we still have more skill than people who were shooting the breeze with the primarchs back in the day.

So repetition engines on full: GW wants to start with "generic" supplements that don't require much work to be done

Yes, but the question here is less 'why are they doing this before X, Y, or Z', and more 'why are they doing this at all.  It just seems a bizarre choice altogether.  How many people actually play crimson slaughter, or care the slightest about Krannon, or so on?

If they wanted a renegade, post heresy supplement, they could easily have gone with Red Corsairs, which would require no more significant changes than the slaughter, could be every bit as "generic", but would have a much larger fanbase AND a much larger presence in the lore. I mean, the Slaughter is, what, a hundred dudes? Two hundred on the long end?

Well I agree, and I disaggree. In some way it is a strange choice, yet in another it seems logical. Consider that they already have made background for this army so it will be not hard to add extra stuff. Maybe Red Corsairs would be MUCH better choice but their background isn't so extensive. Remember that background is more important than rules in supplements. Eventually I would recommend to hold judgment until we know if it is a codex or a supplement.

...Is this really as good as it gets? Is this what we have for the Arch Enemy now? Every edition since 3.5 has been crap, and it was a real sucker punch that we can't even have Knights. And now this? What the crap?

So, how's the Horus Heresy doin'?

-Tarvick

Soo despite pretty much all the chaos books being about warbands of the LEGIONS, despite the sheer amount of interest, blogs and discussions about each of the legions, let alone the gods themselves that a simple google search turns up, despite it Legion rules being the. one. thing. Chaos players have been asking for, they give codex Crimson Slackers??? 
I admit the main codex had pretty much made me give up on my Thousand sons for my Eldar and Heresymanders (either second hand or Forge world), but seriously?? As people have said if they really wanted to do a renegade chapter, you have the Red Corsairs, who whilst getting happy about capturing a strike cruiser (I mean seriously, a single strike cruiser?) have the whole tragedy of Badab, and it would tie nicely in with FW's Badab war books.

Guys. GW isn't doing this to be mean to you and your army. Please get over yourselves. The Dark Vengeance box is spawning a campaign soon, according to some pretty strong rumors. I'd bet y'all a dollar this Codex exists to supplement it.

Seriously, I get that our book was a little lackluster, but the incoherent wails of rage that go up from the community every time something is released that's not a reprinted 3.5 Chaos book make it an embarrassment to be a Chaos player. There's a framed C&D on my wall from Nottingham dating back to a comic I made suggesting GW execs do improper things with little boys, and even I think you guys are out of line. Christ.

I'm actually very curious about this book, I don't actually think it's necessarily a bad thing.  My guess/hope is that this is a way of running a pure khorne army, but without saying it's a World Eaters book.  Think about it, if it was World Eaters, then that would probably mean having to pay the VOTLW tax as well, this way you can play either an old or young khorne force.  That's my hope at least.

I'm actually very curious about this book, I don't actually think it's necessarily a bad thing.  My guess/hope is that this is a way of running a pure khorne army, but without saying it's a World Eaters book.  Think about it, if it was World Eaters, then that would probably mean having to pay the VOTLW tax as well, this way you can play either an old or young khorne force.  That's my hope at least.

I'll admit, I think I may have been overreacting, and I think this is....actually an awesome hypothesis. Is it wrong to hope for that?

-Tarvick 

I am rather curious if these re-releases( Forgefiend, Raptors) are going to be updated kits or just repackages? Also, I dont think this new Codex is such a bad thing. Is it what is really needed or what most of us want? No. However it may turn out to be something amazing...

This is too awesome to be true.

This is too awesome to be true.

Which frightens me... Besides, who wants ANOTHER book of fluff about the same legion?!  There are soooo many resources available for the 4 god-aligned legions, some secondary warbands which open up rules possibilities for the older legions would be a far more interesting use of writing resources.  If you want to know more about the World Eaters, read a book.

The Book of Khorne... It covers old and new... It cover marines, traitor guard, and daemons! I need not some poxy offering from the whelps of Nottingham. I am the herald of Blood! My lord is coming, and his return will not be denied! RARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Heh... Crimson Slaughter... More like Crimson Slackers... They can get back to me when they have breached the walls of Terra.

Don't forget that the fluff will be written by the team that brought us Clan Raukan (The Iron Hands follow the Codex Astartes and hate Ferrus Manus because he turned into a Slaanesh daemon) and Sentinels of Terra (Vladimir Pugh has been redshirted by some Iron Warrior Warsmith we've never heard of who is totally the Fists greatest nemesis).

"There are some Chaos warbands who choose to follow their forefathers's ways of warfare instead of the brilliant strategies perfected by the Crimson Slaughter, but these deviants grow fewer in number each century as no new recruits join their ranks. The majority of Chaos Space Marines acknowledge the Crimson Slaughter as their spiri..." and I can't even keep typing because this has moved from the realm of joke into something I can totally see them doing.

If you want to know more about the World Eaters, read a book.

Unless you want to know more about the World Eaters of the 41st millenium. How they've changed and grown in 10,000 years of warp exposure. Who their most charismatic leaders are since their original command structure has dissolved. How they weigh the worthyness of a recruit for induction into the berzerkers, and what that induction entails. What their ties are to the dark mechanicus, their daemon primarch, the black legion, and younger khornate cults. What they do and how they act when they aren't on the battlefield. The nature of their daemonic pacts, and how they make those pacts, or navigate from battle to battle, while eschewing the services of psykers. Who the notable World Eaters splinter warbands are, and who are the warlords in charge, and how do they relate to each other, to Kharne, and to other chaos factions.

You know, basically anything at all about them post Khârn's Betrayal.

I'm not saying this book 'should have been' World Eaters. IMO, world eaters, or a khorne cult focused CSM book in general, would be best saved until GW or FW has new kits ready to release for Berzerkers, and maybe Bloodthirsters as well. But I disagree with the notion that there's nothing else to say about them. There's actually a lot to cover for them, for all the Heresy Era legions actually (apart from maybe the black, who were at least sort of adequately covered by their supplement), most especially focusing on how 10,000 years of existence within the Eye of Terror has changed them from what they were during the Heresy.

I'm over being bitter about this book. Confused? Yeah, I'm still confused. Disappointed? You betcha. Happy for Gratan? Hoping this book will inspire some more updates of Grat's painting log? Absolutely. But not bitter. Even so, the suggestion that there's more to say about this one warband than there is to say about all the hundreds of 40k era warbands descended from, splintered off from, or taking up the banner of the World Eaters just doesn't seem accurate to me.

Now, if this were some sort of dark mechanicus book? Or lost and the damned book? Or anything other than 'chaos marine warband especially created to be super generic for use in the starter box'?

Eh, interesting rules could turn my opinion around. Never had much care for the Black Templars, until they got their own sublist for the armageddon campaign, so I won't rule it out.

Ok, I've given this some more thought. I kind of wish they had done this earlier in the release cycle. Look at it this way:

You are a new player. You start off with arguably one of the best starter kits that is the Dark Vengeance set. There are two factions, one Dark Angels 5th Company, and the new (all of it is new to you) Crimson Slaughter Chaos Marines. Lets say you decide to go with the Crimson Slaughter as an army since your buddy likes the Dark Angels. You trade for his extra Chaos and buy a few extra kits to flesh out your burgeoning collection. After buying the Chaos Space Marines codex, you kind of at a loss what to do next because the Crimson Slaughter really don't appear again anywhere else. You are kind of dropped into CSM without much clue as to what or who the players are, or how to go about playing your Crimson Slaughter warband. Now, had the supplement come out sooner, the new player wont feel like the time and effort involved in learning about their chosen faction isn't wasted. They can play with the Actual named characters from the Crimson Slaughter. I think it adds more value to the whole experience of the Dark Vengeance set, instead of it being an in essence a throwaway product (not throwaway minis wise, the value there is insane).

I just hope now they add a supplement book for the Dark Angels 5th Company so that it completes the set.

As far as I know, you're our only Crimson Slaughter player on this board, Gratan, so I'm expecting big things from you vis a vis this new 'codex', in particular a detailed review of the books contents & rules, some cool new modeling and painting updates in your log, and maybe a few battle reports highlighting the options presented.  Eh?  Eh?  Can I count on you?

*reads blog*

Also, dude, Grat, have you had your eyes checked?  I can wait a few extra weeks for supplement details, you should take that money to the eye place and get an exam.  Seriously, if just looking at stuff is bugging you that much, then :cuss can't wait.  Don't jay around with you're eyes, Grat.  Ya'll need those things.  :(

This certainly isn't the new book I would've created but I would remind the denizens of the Warp that multi page GW rants and ravings are not constructive or approved of.

You don't have to pretend to love it, just don't spend all of your energies on throwing hate or voicing disappointment.

As far as I know, you're our only Crimson Slaughter player on this board, Gratan, so I'm expecting big things from you vis a vis this new 'codex', in particular a detailed review of the books contents & rules, some cool new modeling and painting updates in your log, and maybe a few battle reports highlighting the options presented. Eh? Eh? Can I count on you?

*reads blog*

Also, dude, Grat, have you had your eyes checked? I can wait a few extra weeks for supplement details, you should take that money to the eye place and get an exam. Seriously, if just looking at stuff is bugging you that much, then :cuss can't wait. Don't jay around with you're eyes, Grat. Ya'll need those things. sad.png

I definitely plan to buy the book, I'll write a review but don't expect a lot... It'll be the first book review I've ever done, and I am not the best writer. I will give it my all, and as objectively as I can.

I have so many projects on my plate at the moment... Crimson Slaughter, High Elves, Warriors of Chaos and now Dwarfs... I'm sure with the new Codex though, I'll get back to my Crimson Slaughter sooner than later. I'll post pics of new models as I work on them.

As far as my eyes go, they haven't been so bad since they altered my meds again... They aren't what they were, but they are much better. Thanks for the concern.

I think the thing for me that hits the hardest is the timing. The brand new smexy Knights get released, the good guys get MORE cool :cuss, and we get repackaging?? I understand the marketing of Crimson Slaughter being in the core set and therefor getting a nifty new book, but when that kind of :cuss takes a higher priority then listening to ones customer base it makes me even more disheartened about GW being anything more that a company making a game to make money. Whether it's love for chaos or just love for the bloody game, I ain't seeing to much of it while I continue to give them my money. Gladly.

End of Line

Archived