Lord Commander Scrymgeour's Megiddo Crusade

Love the thunder hammer honour guard, even if he is essentially wearing a golden gimp mask!

Some great conversions there, I particularly love by long haired marine with the double handed axe alongside your space wolf heads...

Must ask, how did you do the hair?

Your work does remind me alot of John Blanche which is a good thing (though not sure if you intended it).

Either way, I'm following your topics and am seriously considering mimicing your style for my next Inq list. Just not sure if I can pull it off myself lol.

Thanks Kilo!

My style has developed slightly over time, there was never a conscious decision with the Blood angels to homage John Blanche but his expressive style and feel certainly inspired me! As I moved into my guard allies his influence has certainly shown through more!

It's actually really easy to paint like this, the praetorians were painted solely with washes and metallics over a "dirty" white base coat. If I get time I'll show a step by step

The blood angels were painted pretty simply too, chaos black primer, Khorne red base, Mephiston red highlights, bad moon yellow highlights. I thin my paints quite heavily 1:5 for the final highlight and I don't really do edge highlighting, more of a spot highlight if that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and good luck with your own toy sold

Soldiers

Few questions:

Remind me, what do you use for your base coat and / or base layers - before washing and inking? I know you mentioned dirty white - is that just white with sponge'ing / speckle'ing?

When you apply metallics on top of the base coat, are you applying it as a layer or also watered down?

Also, what do you use for the areas that look still look white'ish on the finished model? Is it just the base layer unpainted? Or, is it another water'ed down white layer applied as a wash (as there isn't 'white ink')?

Lastly what do you use for the burgundy'ish color on the guard?

Sorry about all the questions, I like the style but am somewhat clueless as to how to go about it.

Thanks!

Happy to share

Firstly I prime the models with skull white spray

Next I use a toothbrush to filck mephiston red and ultramarine blue over the model

I then wash the whole thing with nuln oil

After that its a case of painting your colours with washes, so in the case of the Commisar it is layers of Carrioburg crimson, griffon sepia, agrax earthshade and cassandra yellow until I am happy with the result (bulk painting and a hair dryer are your friend!) IIRC it was about 2 layers of each. (The praetorians took 4 layers of Crimson ink)

I then pick out any bits that feel right with watered down white scar (about 5 to one) (I suppose this isn't really a wash)

They are then washed again in a grimy version of the predominant wash colour (so agrax mixed with carrioburg crimson for example)

I may then add aome more highlights. With this I'm looking for texture more than anything else really so I follow the direction of the clothing trying to keep my brushstrokes quick and noticeable.

The whole thing is then given another coat of nuln oil except over the skin.

Metallics are painted as you would a "normal" gaming mini, so silver paint, nuln oil, silver highlight. Occasionally I will skip the first silver layer if I want the effect to be more subtle.

I'm sorry I don't really have any WIP but it wouldn't really be representative because each model undergoes a slightly different process.

The bases are just washes daubed on over a white basecoat fairly randomly with Bicarbonate of soda added to the ink at whatever stage I feel like and then tidied up

Hope it helps. Basically it's as much an experiment for me as it is going to be for you! It's a really fun, quick, effective, and interesting method of painting!

med_gallery_73284_9355_628104.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"Xenos sighted, location iota, three, nine" The comm whispered inside his helmet.

Ektor double clicked static into his vox link as an affirmative and locked a targeting rune onto his integral map overlay.

"Contact in two clicks, Cry havoc, for the Emperor, the chapter....."

"And Sanguinius!" His squad finished, gunning their engines into overdrive and speeding across the basalt wasteland, stripped of topsoil by decades of war.

"Primarch's blood!" Spat Alkon, spirit of courage, "I can find these filth by stink."

"Watch you tongue!" growled Aloster, spirit of vengeance, "you are unworthy"

"Pious fool" laughed Alkon, running his fingers through the motions of awakening on his plasma gun.

"Careful Alkon, remember what you wield, I don't know what Moros could do for you if you displease the Emperor this day" called Androk, spirit of slaughter.

"Alkon I can replace" said Moros, psychopomp priest "but we need that gun!"

"This is it" came the voice of Ektor "ready weapons, prepare for glory!"

The orks looked to the ridge as the bikes hurtled down the black incline.

"Fire!" came the order from Ektor and the mass reactive shells smashed the orks into the air, covering the small slave creatures at their feet with thick, dark, ichor. Another, and another went down and the bolters roared like lions.

The orks were a disordered  mass, but some, braver, more cunning than the others were tearing weapons up from crude armouries and returning fire, the simple projectiles ricocheting from the plate of the five Astartes or falling ineffectually short.

Even as more of the Xenos fell into the filth of their encampment, a larger one was attempting to rally control, kicking about him, waving a foul totem and shouting in some brutish alien tongue.

The warboss pointed at the marines with a cruel power claw and a a moment later the world around them filled with noise and pressure. A flechette of shrapnel sliced into the knee of Aloster's armour causing him to fall behind and his rune briefly flashed amber inside Ektor's helmet, before returning to green as teh powered plate's integrated systems routed salves and unguents to the wound and bypasses the damaged power bundles.

"Kill that thing!" shouted Ektor as he discovered the source of the attack, a sputtering, grinding hulk striding towards them, saws and brutish missiles where arms should be.

"Already dead" said Alkon as a superheated ball of starfire liquified the body of the walker. It fell to its knees, cursing and bellowing with rage in its harsh tongue, from its wheezing mechanical speakers.

"Unleash hell" Said Ektor as he smashed his Mechanicum gifted cyberhorse into the Orks surrounding the giant leader. His power sword and storm shield crackling and humming as he began the slaughter.

"Contempt is my armour, strength is my shield, the light of the Emperor guide this blade I wield!" Aloster shouted, as his chainsword dismembered Ork after Ork, spraying his armour with viscera, glorying in the butchery of the confused and terrified greenskins, broken by the ferocity of the charge.

The boss bellowed in rage at his underlings, beating and smashing with his monstrous arm at the fleeing aliens, adding to the chaos and carnage of the destructive, relentless Astartes warriors. He Screamed a feral challenge, smashed aside a group of whimpering slave and fired his massive weapon at Androk. The huge caliber bullet blasted into the Spirit of Slaughter throwing him from his bike, sending it hurtling into the mob of  terrified and bewildered Orks like the fury of a crashing star. Ektor saw Androk fall under the mass of orks clawing at his armour and swung his power sword, decapitating a beast with two brutal, rusted axes. He urged his steed onwards into the mass, feeling the pistons and gears beneath its flesh grind and pump as its iron hooves smashed skull after skull after skull.

Finally the boss was in front of him, towering over even the transhuman size of the mounted Astartes. The claw smashed into his shield, filling the air with light and noise and he returned the blow, severing the other hand at the wrist. Laughing maniacally, the Ork smashed Ektor in the face with the stump, smashing his left eye lense and almost forcing him from his steed onto the slick oily ground. Combat stimms, integrated into his armour kicked in almost immediately, and Ektor felt his head clear. He blocked another sweep of the claw and pushed his mount further into the press of battle. The Ork stumbled and Ektor turned another clumsy blow. He struck with his flashing sword again, and again, driving the beast back, and again he drove his steed forwards. The monstrous Ork once again stumbled and Ektor lifted his sword for the killing blow. As the boss bellowed in anger and frustration the rest of the greenskins fled.

"Moros" called Ektor, "find Androk, prepare his body, harvest his geneseed, say the words, from blood comes blood."

"I'm not quite ready to enter the hall yet"  Came a voice through the static. "Main systems down, thigh broken, left hand gone, but don't go rewarding my brothers with a heroes armour whilst his sword still swings"

"Moros, see to him. Glory to the Emperor and Sanguinius this day, have the artisans began work on a banner, much honour is to be won here"

• 10 months later...

Letholdus - Brother

- First over the wall at the Siege of Megiddo Prime. Gifted with honour, plate of Dain the Zealot. -

- Welcomed as Watch Brother for the Headsman. Gifted with honour, helm of Quietude. -

- Slayer of monsters at The Battle for Skeldergate Oil Swamp. Gifted with honour, Aurelian Post Spectrum Auspex. -

- Infiltrated the Necropolis of the Iron Pretender. Gifted with honour, Chapter serf bearing Relic of Commander Saint Osysth of the Agonising Heart. -

Prayer tokens

- Golden Bolter Round for true sight -
- Blood of the Sun King for faith in brotherhood-

med_gallery_73284_9355_677301.jpg

Archived