So, brother Astartes (and assorted Sororitas, Inquisitors, Yechpriests, and Guardsmen), I had an idea that I was originally going to just pitch to my fellow Sons of Sanguinius in our little subforum. But, after giving it a little more thought, I felt that to really make this concept great, I should open it to the rest of the Board.

After all, this IS the single best 40k forum on the net. Noplace else has the right combination of participation, comraderie, creativity, and technical skill that THE Bolter and Chainsword has. Sure, I frequent other forums, some of which come fairly close, like Carpe Noctem or The Tyranid Hive, and others can match us in one or two of those categories. But this is the whole package, and we have things like the Index Astartes articles, the Dornian Heresy, and the Legio B&C to show for it.

That said, the idea I'm placing before you today is, quite naturally, a community one. I've been thinking about the assorted omnibuses that Black Library has produced, and how we have a whole range of authors and skill levels therein on this board. Many of us have magnificent DIY chapters that we'd love to share with the rest of the world. So why not pool our talents and do exactly that?

Those who wish to join in this endeavor would, during some length of time, write and submit stories to be collectively reviewed by their peers, and have them polished to the highest sheen possible. Even a poor author can produce a gem when helped by those with the skill and patience to guide their pen. I'd say one short story per chapter is a good cut-off point, and makes you really focus on getting it absolutely right. We can come up with details like word/page limit later, when we know we have an actual headcount for the project.

Once all these stories are done, we group them together into one anthology. I'm sure we've also got some wonderful artists here who might want to do some illustrations for scenes they find particularly noteworthy, or perhaps work on cover art.

And I'm sure if there's room, or we want to do an official chapter anthology, we can bring those of us who play canon forces into the mix. Heck, I'm not even sure we need to have only Astartes involved, as our Mechanicus, Sororitas, Inquistorial, and Guardsmen friends on this board indubitably have tales they want to tell as well.

The end game is twofold. First, we get the anthology together, and make it as masterful as we can. Then, if it seems lofty enough, we start figuring out if we can send it to the good people at Black Library in the hopes that, just as a testament to the hobby, it can be made available as a free download for the world to enjoy. Note that with this said, though, your fluff will have to be pretty darn close to the canon, so clearly no female marines, super secret Grey Knight-like orders, you get the idea. Stuff that is within the realm of probability.

So what do you all think?

An interesting idea, brother. There have been assorted compilation of stories in the Fan fiction section in the past (well, more of collaborations and challenges than actual anthologies) of which I've participated in. The most recent example is a story entitled 'Destroyer's Hand' which came as a result of this thread. It also includes 'The Massacre' by Deus Ex Ferrum and an untitled piece I'll call 'The tale of the Iron Warriors' by ChaptermasterDemon7.

I suggest you check out http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/214866-this-is-the-liber-astartes-part-ii/ if you fancy checking out regular writers here. A good chunk of them frequent that thread, I think.

I'm sure we've also got some wonderful artists here who might want to do some illustrations for scenes they find particularly noteworthy, or perhaps work on cover art.

We do indeed have excellent artists here - two that readily come to mind are Colrouphobic and Greyall. Whether or not this is something they'd do gratis is down to speculation, unless you directly approach them.

And I'm sure if there's room, or we want to do an official chapter anthology, we can bring those of us who play canon forces into the mix. Heck, I'm not even sure we need to have only Astartes involved, as our Mechanicus, Sororitas, Inquistorial, and Guardsmen friends on this board indubitably have tales they want to tell as well.

I would like to see three seperate tomes, if this comes to fruition - the Astartes tales, the Chaos tales and the mortal tales. That way we can easily group everything.

...we start figuring out if we can send it to the good people at Black Library in the hopes that, just as a testament to the hobby, it can be made available as a free download for the world to enjoy. 

Iirc, Black Library won't accept material published elsewhere, including stories that have already be posted up on the internet. Now, I could be wrong but that is what I've heard. *shrug*

...we start figuring out if we can send it to the good people at Black Library in the hopes that, just as a testament to the hobby, it can be made available as a free download for the world to enjoy.

Iirc, Black Library won't accept material published elsewhere, including stories that have already be posted up on the internet. Now, I could be wrong but that is what I've heard. *shrug*

That's correct, and not just GW. Most publishing houses won't touch material that has been published elsewhere, especially online. That isn't to say that such material can't be used to demonstrate what the writer is capable of.

That's correct, and not just GW. Most publishing houses won't touch material that has been published elsewhere, especially online. That isn't to say that such material can't be used to demonstrate what the writer is capable of.
True. But we aren't asking for publishing, more like an endorsement that they support the project. Hence the free download rather than something else.

All said, I'd be willing to contribute, if I can manage a story.

For the sake of the project, I'd refrain from making any contributions myself. Wouldn't want to sink it!

But I would love to see it come to fruition.

It might be worth trawling the Fan-Fiction section for stories. Collect those that are most liked into a sort of Best of Fanon. I have a tendency to avoid it (I barely have time to read the all the books I actually own, much less read other people's [Heck, I only just now got to AD-B's Soul Hunter trilogy, and I've owned them for over a year now]), but from all accounts there are gems aplenty to be found.

If this idea gains traction and popularity, it could provide the backbone and meat of the next Legio Imprint.

I can't contribute (barring something previously posted, that I can dig out again), because my fanfiction is almost all AU stuff of a sort that would open one of the forum's old cans of worms. Other than that I'm terrible at characters. 

But...

I'm a seasoned writer and marker of essays, so I'm happy to do some beta reading. Be warned; I'm also a spelling/grammar fascist, and I won't be afraid to say it if I don't like the plot or world-building. 

This idea gets my seal of approval.

I'm debating whether to run it out of the Fan Fiction forum or as a Special Project. I'm leaning towards a special project in the Fan Fiction forum.

I want to see a methodology and plan developed before we kick things off, though.

At the very least, we can collect finished stories into a downloadable product such as the Legio Imprint.

None of the stuff I have in Fan Fiction is anywhere near finished sad.png but there are other stories such as Lady_Canoness' "Inquisitor" series. If the consensus is to have stuff included from scratch, then I'd like to see what I can rustle up smile.png

Alright! Fan fiction is great, but what I feel is often missing is the idea of workshopping and making multiple drafts with constructive input. I think we should do this, and furthermore should borrow from an academic model of having us all look at each others' work and offer critiques. In essence, what we already do but in a structure that allows for opinions that you might not get if it's all simply volunteered. We do this sort of thing all the time with models and the IA section is full of it, but the fan-fic section is usually a variation of "I love it, keep it up." That's cool and the encouragement helps, but I'd love more of a real writer's process going down. 

I am, as I've mentioned, a professional writer (albeit ad copywriting, mostly) with a history as a teacher of English. My time spent earning my degree in English pushed me to create so many amazing works, honed and crafted by peer-editing, that I've never been able to surpass just writing for fun. 

Sign me the heck up, and I'd be happy to help organize and provide whatever structure and editing we might need. I love the fact that some of us on the boards do this stuff for a living (not to say amateur writers aren't good by any means), and are willing to contribute when it's needed. 

Remember, everyone needs an editor.

EDIT: Oh yeah, can we call it a Fanthology? Who doesn't like a corny portmanteau once in a while? 

Hmm.

On the one hand I've got a lot to do already with stories and projects and painting and tedious real life stuff. Beyond that, I'm not good at characterizing astartes (they always seem too human), my fight scenes tend towards the painfully predictable, I'm unnecessarily verbose (tongue.png) and my dialogues are frankly just... awful.

On the other hand, I'm a sucker for community stuff, moreso if it involves writing and moreso still if it involves my DIY Chapters. laugh.png

So I'd be willing to join in, in short.teehee.gif

EDIT:

Also, Fanthology gets all of my votes.

You know, I have to say my writing always tends to focus on marines OFF the battlefield. I've only written a couple of action scenes, ever. I really never thought about that until Ace talked about them being predictable. Anyone ever tried to write one based on an actual game they played? Might be interesting. I always think, when I play, that the marines aren't actually dying most of the time, just rendered unable to fight for right now. Same with tanks and stuff. That might be a fun exercise. 

Unless it's Twilight BDSM Fan Ficiton.

In which case it becomes Fifty Shades of Gray.

None of the stuff I have in Fan Fiction is anywhere near finished sad.png but there are other stories such as Lady_Canoness' "Inquisitor" series. If the consensus is to have stuff included from scratch, then I'd like to see what I can rustle up smile.png

That's unfortunate. But maybe it's not an automatic dampener. Selected works could be presented more as glimpses in ongoing stories than start to finish works in their own rights. Like the micro-stories that some of the upcoming Black Library novels are being advertised through.

If we do a fanthology (thanks Ace), I say those who are volunteering to do the major editing and overseeing work, that are familiar with the fan fiction subforum, go on ahead and start collecting links to stories they consider well-written and just plain good. Then we can start contacting the authors, see if they are open to having their stuff "published" by the site (note the quotes), and maybe be willing to do some editing to make it fit space-wise, or to make the chosen section more self-contained. Get a bank of pieces accumulated, start organizing it. Decide how varied they should be (I vote we try to be as varied as possible, within the scope of this website. SM, CSM, SOB, IG, AdMech, etc), and start whittling the amount down until we have a selection that best illustrated the talents that can be found on our best website.

Then include some other pieces (Maybe an interview with pyroriffic if she's down, to mirror the one with AD-B). Maybe a painting tutorial, IA centerpiece. Spitball ing ideas here.

Well, if any stories that are submitted can be "unfinished" or tasters, then I'm more than happy to have some of my stuff to be considered. I must admit that the Fan Fiction section is a lot more livelier than in the past, but I haven't had much chance to read other Frater's work yet sad.png

Archived