Starting Blood Angels WIP

Luca Pacioli

Hello all!

Long time lurker and first time poster. After a long time away from the hobby (I started at the begining of the 2nd edition, again in 2005 and then have done nothing since 2006) I have decided to restart and dip my toe in the water with the Blood Angels again! Having spent a long time thinking about things I have decided to 'tall scale' my marines (based on a thread elsewhere on this website) as I much prefer the proportions and like the idea of my 8 foot tall superhumans 'loaded for bear.'

After near three months I have completed half of a tactical squad (I work VERY slowly). I know its not a typically Blood Angels style of squad but I haven't done any modelling in 8 years so felt I should start out with a squad that won't see too much action. Having spent so long away I am basically looking for any comments/criticisms etc in order to improve. The basic asthetic is designed around the idea of the age of the marines (old as they are blood angels) and the ornate, artistic style of their armour. As a marine progress up the hierarcy his shoulder pad becomes more ornate, and the artwork on his (painted) armour also increases.

As this is my first post I'm afraid I don't know how to add a photo directly to this so have added a link to the gallery that has the 5 marines in. Basically a heavy weapon (because I can remember the style of armour from 2nd edition which had the castelan additions to the legs of devastators) which is based on an iron hands MKIII marine. Hes been around a lot and seen it all; knows how to apply his heavy bolter well.
A standard marine aiming and shooting
A running marine "too close for missiles, switching to guns" who has dropped to his pistol for more effective combat.
A charging marine with his special weapon (magnetised for fun) who I imagine charging and flaming everything in his path.
A 'corporal' (basically a back up seargant/leader when combat squadded) that has an auspex attached to his arm (I never understood why there would be a seperate device) he also has a slightly more involved shoulder pad to highlight his seniority.

Any comment and criticism will be very welcome (I'm sorry for the poor quality photos; any help here in terms of taking them/uploading directly to a thread would be VERY helpful).

Many thanks!

Luca

Wow. Great start and welcome to the forums! I really like your use of push-molded greenstuff bits (I'm assuming) to give them the extra kit and bling that Blood Angels deserve. I also wholeheartedly endorse the magnets because you never know, and the heavy legs on the heavy bolter marine. I miss those old Devastators. 

You have a great sense of movement already, and lots and lots of additional touches. They ooze personality and realism, plus those chain-bayonets look great. 

Criticism? Honestly? They look great. Period. Get some paint on them, and we may or may not have some things to talk about. :D 

Any comment and criticism will be very welcome (I'm sorry for the poor quality photos; any help here in terms of taking them/uploading directly to a thread would be VERY helpful).

Many thanks!

Luca

Hello and welcome to the B+C happy.png Good to see a new BA player/modeller!

I can certainly try to help you with posting images directly from your gallery.

All you need to do is:

* Head to your gallery and select one of the images you want to post.

* It will take you to another screen where the picture is bigger.

* On the right there is an "Options" button in red.

* Click on it and a drop down menu will appear. Select "View all sizes".

* It will take you to yet another screen with different picture sizes above the picture.

* Select one. Now, it will look like nothing has happened, but if you click on the picture itself, you will

see the picture in the size you selected.

*To post the picture all you need to do is click the right mouse button and select "Copy image location".

* Go to the topic you want to post it to and start a new post (I usually have the gallery loaded in a

separate tab on my browser to the topic/post in question)

* Press Ctrl+v. The link will appear in the posting area. To display the image as it is rather than a link

* Put {img}at the beginning (with [] instead of {} )and {/img} at the end (replacing {} with [])of the link in question.

To illustrate press the "quote" button to see what the link looks like in my post:

med_gallery_78612_9367_375801.jpg

Hope that makes sense! happy.png If not be sure to ask myself or any Moderatii (anyone with the Terminator symbol under their name) for further assistance!

Thank you Aquilanus! That's really helpful and makes life a lot easier!

Thanks JeffTibbetts and GrunTeufel, comments are much appreciated! The press moulding stuff is completely new to me so has taken a while to get the hang of, along with the tall scaling. I'll post up a pic later of the extra height the marines have.

I haven't painted in a very long time and am concidering getting an airbrush to play around with (hopefully soon) but with my very slow rate of progress it may be some time before a completed mini is realised!

I strongly suggest the airbrush. I resisted for far too long, but the time it's saved be on the boring parts makes it so much more likely that I get stuff actually painted. I am more of a modeler than a painter, but the airbrush is so much fun to play with! 

Cheers RenderDead, they're mainly inspired by a thread elsewhere on here; I'll try finding it and posting up a link. Please go for the copying, the parts are from anvil industry I think. I went for the red dot and laser targeted for weapons that are smaller, or less accurate/weapons you didn't have to be so accurate with and the sights for the more advanced/precision. The chainsaw bayonets are awesome and I recommend them for any budding flesh tearers...

Sounds like it's time for me to start researching airbrushes then!

The old metal minis (and indeed their plastic counterparts), are smaller than the modern ones. On the one hand, I do like the weight of a metal mini, but on the other, they are a pain in the camshaft to model (as in assemble etc). I'm looking forward to seeing how you upscale him happy.png

• 7 months later...

Hi all, after a lot of research I have finally started painting; today's work:

med_gallery_78612_9367_404563.jpg

The base is pretty much done, the top is in early stages. Any comments/critisisms/tips much appreciated (this combined a lot of first for me: First time painting in a decade, first time with an airbrush, first time painting hazard stripes, first time weathering...!).

As I had a little paint left over in the airbrush I've also based my first marine

med_gallery_78612_9367_1162942.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_1440611.jpg

Cheers guys! As a first marine in about a decade I'm quite happy, though have a long way to go! I need to sort out how to paint the base...

Undercoated another couple of things... think I'm getting the hang of the airbrush... Though I'm still spending longer cleaning it than actually spraying ;)

I realised that with my first marine the gradient of the colour change was too subtle when all the other details were painted so I've tried to be a bit braver with the airbrush this time round we'll see how it ends up looking.

med_gallery_78612_9367_1902196.jpg

Cheers mate, I think the iPhone camera and poor lighting gives a hand there . The press moulding is such a useful tool (obviously these are all for me not for sale) and any slight warping can be disguised as damage and or gives them some slight differences. I'm soo slow though...

Any tips? I've only ever gotten very small press molds to work. Never pulled off shoulder pads. Maybe you can show us your process? 

• 3 weeks later...

Today my snail pace at painting has seen me nearly complete my 2nd mini.

med_gallery_78612_9367_110382.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_1317798.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_578394.jpg

He's based on Forge World's Iron Hands Mk III upgrade set and is amazingly well detailed, a pleasure to paint. I still need to do the weathering and the base.

JeffTibbetts: I'll get onto the tutorial for the casting, I'm afraid it will be next week (I haven't forgotten have just been swamped with work)...

• 1 month later...

Right! Having had a great Christmas I've finally been able to find time for some painting. Here is my latest offering; my special weapon marine charging into the fray. I've yet to paint the weapons (have included a pick of the options) but the body is pretty much complete. Comments, critiques and questions are welcome as always! (JeffTibbetts I will get onto that tutorial, I'm sorry it's taken so long; I've not needed to create any shoulder pads yet).

med_gallery_78612_9367_952140.jpgmed_gallery_78612_9367_1243135.jpgmed_gallery_78612_9367_288739.jpgmed_gallery_78612_9367_150991.jpg

Archived