Starting Blood Angels WIP

Luca Pacioli

Today my snail pace at painting has seen me nearly complete my 2nd mini.

med_gallery_78612_9367_110382.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_1317798.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_578394.jpg

He's based on Forge World's Iron Hands Mk III upgrade set and is amazingly well detailed, a pleasure to paint. I still need to do the weathering and the base.

JeffTibbetts: I'll get onto the tutorial for the casting, I'm afraid it will be next week (I haven't forgotten have just been swamped with work)...

Luca, did you get the IH Mk.III Squad? I've been considering doing a heavily bionic Mk.III Sternguard squad and I'd love to know how many bionic bits you get and how much Iron Hands iconography you had to remove.

Hi DexC.

Yes, he's from the forgeworld set. There is very little Iron Hands iconography to be honest; they're only on the shoulder pads (I filed a "cogged" shoulder pad down to get the MK III shoulder pad I used). Here is someone doing an unboxing on youtube:

I love the models, especially the extra cogs which I wanted as a throw back to the original devastator marines with the extra armour plating around the base of the feet. The model I painted above has the head attached to the body, otherwise all the heads, torsos and legs are separate which is great from a modeling perspective. The back packs also have a nuncio-vox and standard for the sarg.

Thanks everyone it's always nice to get feedback! The moulding process for the shoulder pad is actually very simple and uses a product called "Liquid Blue Stuff" (which I think I got from ebay). I use a small amount and fill it into the top of a plastic milk bottle lid. I will write up a tutorial as soon as I need to cast another one (so I can take the relevant photos). The following website is probably where I got the information about it so I recommend looking there (and is an excellent resource for modelling tips in general):

http://masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/

This video shows it quite well:

If you search "Liquid Blue Stuff" in the interwebs I think you end up with their website which also has some tutorials on if I remember. Obviously this is for your own use!

I can't wait for them!! I'm torn: I want them now, but also I want them to be the best forgeworld can make so I'm happy if they take their time... The same is true for the Signus Book. I'm also waiting for my free hand skills to improve to attempt painting 'scroll-work' on the armour (it is supposed to be ornate!). The most recent forgeworld bulletin shows an Imperial Fists command squad with the type of reliefs I want...

Hi everyone, as promised here is a little tutorial regarding copying specific shoulder pads (I want a uniform look to my marines). This follows on from the casting with Liquid Blue Stuff videos from before. As I'm only copying a small piece I used an old milk bottle lid to hold everything in place.

Everything that's needed and the result of an old cast:

med_gallery_78612_9378_718426.jpg

I rolled a small amount of Green Stuff (too much in this case so the excess was used for other projects!)

med_gallery_78612_9378_1347273.jpg

Before pushing it firmly and fully into the mold. Here you can see the excess and the 'dimple' in the Green Stuff where the shape of the shoulder pad is.

med_gallery_78612_9378_446132.jpg

Finally I place the mold back into the milk bottle lid to keep pressure on the shoulder pad over night. Next to it is a old cast that I did some time ago.

med_gallery_78612_9378_33773.jpg

I hope that helps! Like I said earlier; the Liquid Blue Stuff is excellent and the simple tutorials earlier on are very clear and easy to follow. Any questions do shout though!!

Go for it, it's really easy to use.

Last guy for my first demi-squad. My 'corporal' I gave him a built in Auspex (why wouldn't they have it on the armour!?) which was an idea from Veteran Sargeant's tall scall marine blog and the Space Hulk terminator which had one built in to his power fist.

med_gallery_78612_9367_462906.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_128696.jpg

med_gallery_78612_9367_338567.jpg

Finally, here is the 5 man tactical squad (there will be another 5 to add on eventually!):

gallery_78612_9367_664701.jpg

gallery_78612_9367_190128.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcome as always! I'm off to work out how to take better photos!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Spagunk! I just popped it along to the local GW as there is a little comp for troops so I thought I'd enter my most recent model. I was able to take a quick photo against a normal marine (one of the guy that runs it Blood Angel successors I think) just to see the size difference. My model is standing on a slightly higher base but I really like how the proportions look so will be keeping with the 'tall scale' look for the forseeable future!

med_gallery_78612_9367_296777.jpg

Hi everyone!

As a treat I bought myself a contemptor... I must say the model is awesome! So many ideas for posing and movement. I've nearly finished with the model, there is a little more 'Blood Angeling' to do before I'm happy with it. The photos sadly don't show the depth simply because it is all grey but I hope you get the idea. As always any comments and criticisms are welcome!

gallery_78612_10440_237297.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_519690.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_681702.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1518242.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_543153.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1593156.jpg

Cheers Xenith!

It's the Emperor's Children Dread, I've scratched off the III Legion symbols and replaced them with BA bits. I tied to make little chalices for the single wings that liter the model; he's going to be attached to the 2nd Company which has a winged chalice as a symbol.

I've always wanted to recreate the "I have come to destroy you" moment from the Dawn of War 2 Intro, specifically the bit where the dread holds up the eldar before toasting him. But dual-wielding heretics is way better!

Archived