Starting Blood Angels WIP

Luca Pacioli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this isn't much of an update really; more for me to keep things ticking along. I've been incredibly busy recently and there's been a lot of building work going on so I've been unable to keep things going. I've managed one leg pretty much to 90% complete and am breaking it down to one part at a time (I find the whole thing quite daunting if I look at the size of the model).

It's the first time I've tried painting gold and I've been playing around with some of the ways I paint metal in general too. As always C&C are very welcome!

gallery_78612_10440_1165660.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_798152.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_543007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

My slow progress continues unabated. I've just about finished the legs (I'm about 90% happy with them) needing only the battle damage and some odds and sods to tidy up. I've also started undercoating the "clubs" as sometimes I'm too tired to do the fiddly bits well and just need to block out lumps!

I'm now getting to the stage of approaching thinking about which potential Chaos Legions the "clubs" should eventually be from... I'm thinking of going with Word Bearers as they are my personal bug bear, though I could also do Emperor's Children. Who do people think would be the most appropriate?

I've tried to add some oil stains and some extra variation into the metallic areas, something I've really enjoyed, and am about to start experimenting with Forge World's weathering pigments. Has anyone used these before? I don't want the massively over weathered look that is more suitable for the 'Imperial Guard' but I do want the beaten-up-in-a-battle-recently-but-treasured-relic look...

gallery_78612_10440_1823165.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1225710.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_539796.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_365139.jpg

Anyway, C&C welcome as always!

Luca

Cheers Ovidius Incertus!

Some more updates; have done the top and one arm and based the metalic areas of the other. Slow progress but it's starting to take shape!

gallery_78612_10440_411059.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_257794.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_588308.jpg

I'm starting to really enjoy this project! Sorry about the glare caused by my phone camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers guys, and definitely go for the contemptor Charlo; they're a lot of fun to put together!

Anyway; I'm back! Have been away a while and have just managed to get some time painting (and because posting here helps keep me committed to finishing this beast of a project ASAP). I've based most of the body and finished the arm. Here are some more work in progress shots:

gallery_78612_10440_1872475.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1724161.jpg

Hi everyone, comments, criticism and a bit of help needed...

Firstly the C&C. This is my first attempt to paint a chaos demon (in fact any mini that's not red!!)... and it's one that has been beaten up a fair amount! So any guidance/ideas on where to improve would be much appreciated (I'm afraid the pics aren't great)!

Secondly; I need to paint some script on the scrolls of the contemptor's body, how would people recommend going about this? Do people use paint or are there pens/pencils that can be used?

Anyway, here's the latest in this project...

gallery_78612_10440_277088.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_195216.jpg

Second last post for this guy! Have nearly finished the two "clubs," started on the weathering and the base is pretty much done. Hopefully all finished this Friday ;)

C&C welcome (hints on how to weather better will be well received!)

gallery_78612_10440_815276.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_319454.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_331748.jpg

Thanks, Luca.

Sure thing! Happy to help; it was pretty simple and you'll need;

Chaos Black,

Ulthuan Grey

Palid Wytch Flesh

White Scar White

Nuln Oil

Agrax Earthshade

Astrogranite

Stirland Mud

Lustrian Undergrowth

Imperial Primer

Typhus Corrosion

Nurgle's Rot

Black smoke pigment

Detail and dry brushes

Base Chaos Black

Heavy paint/dry brush with Ulthuan Grey leaving black in the deepest recesses.

Lighter dry brush with Palid Wytch Flesh towards the top of the column

Lightest dry brush of White Scar on the very top

Heavy wash with Nuln Oil

Wash with Agrax Earthshade around the base

Then dry brush the grey-to-white in the same sequence again to suit.

Add the three texture paints to suit (I went for an old broken column so used a lot in different patches, thinking about where the grim and grit would rest.

Add Astro Granite towards the base, the typhus Corrosion then layers on top with some hints of the Nurgle's Rot at the very tip. The idea was to chose a part of the column that would get the grime most; due to wind/sunlight/weather etc. and then work out from there. The same sequence was done on the bullet holes too. It's best to go very light with the technical paints as they are quite translucent so show a lot through from the grey underneath.

Finally "push brush" the black smoke pigment into the recesses. This is a good way to get a little more shadow in places too.

Every stage was quite fluid in that I would go back and forth between different patches a few times as I added more weathering details to suit my mood and design ideas. It's also supposed to be quite natural so I didn't spend too long thinking of the minutest of the little details and tried to be a little slap-dash and "organic" with it as a process.

I hope that helps; let me know if you need any clarification.

Final post for the contemptor!! (yeah right - you can always see places to improve when you come back to a model)

This has been a major labour of love and I've really enjoyed it (seriously do get one if you can!). It's really challenged me to learn lots of new techniques (painting gold, weathering, pigments, blending, dry-brushing, my understanding of colour and finally blood and gore) and I've really enjoyed the many hours it has taken up. Next thing is for me to get a proper camera that will show it off a bit better but here are the photos from my iPhone (sorry about the glare on the background - it was a free one downloaded online and the paper was cheap so it's a little bright). C&C welcome as always! I'm off to think about what my snail pace of painting can accommodate for the E Tenebrae Lux...

gallery_78612_10440_1737827.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1631598.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1098197.jpg

gallery_78612_10440_1478251.jpg

med_gallery_78612_10440_412415.jpg

med_gallery_78612_10440_430007.jpg

Aaaannnndddd on to the next one!

The next project is a 'counts as' attack bike. I've never liked the sidecar look; you can't shoot to the left of the bike, the angles you can shoot look all wrong and the whole aesthetic doesn't appeal frankly. Soo, I've decided to convert a Forge World Elysian Tauros Assault Vehicle to make a more 'Mad Max' style look. I've had to order the gunner which should materialise next week. I also need to apply a bit of structural damage to aid in my weathering but these pics should give the gist of the idea. C&C welcome as always!

med_gallery_78612_10813_94346.jpg

med_gallery_78612_10813_201126.jpg

med_gallery_78612_10813_1108807.jpg

Space Marines + Mad Max = Win. The idea that this counts as an attack bike is absolutely spot on. Little bit larger as a model but I can't really fault that - the disadvantage on the tabletop is yours.

Archived