Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You know you're a Sister of Battle player when...

749 replies to this topic

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,598 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart

You know you're an (old) Sisters of Battle player when you can truthfully say you bought your first SoB figs before a lot of the other players were even alive. wink.png

I call that an unfair advantage, which is why I don't bring it up tongue.png Feel free to complain about the whipper snapper novitiates burning your front lawn though, that one is earned fair and square laugh.png
The new Dominions with flamers can be bothersome can't they? :P

Willy Pete

Willy Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts
  • Chapter Name: 234th Chapter the Grim Reapers

You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when your Exorcist takes a direct hit from a Space Wolves' Stormfang gunship's Helfrost Destructor, makes its Shield of Faith roll, then responds by hitting the gunship with three missiles, blowing it out of the sky.  All so you can properly savor the frustrated tears of rage of your enemy. :)

Seriously, his Space Wolves had terrible luck that day.  Out of four turns, that was the only time his Stormfang hit anything.  I told him he should keep his Wolves away from the beer until after the battle.

Also, the flamers setting my yard on fire I can handle, I hate mowing the grass.  It's when they're just learning how to use meltas that it gets ugly.  My poor pickup is never going to be the same. :(

• Servant of Dante likes this

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 16,819 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hunter Legion

Guess your pickup didn't make it's SoF roll? ;)

gallery_30308_9518_3622.pnggallery_30308_9518_1600.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.pnggallery_30308_3239_4912.pngETL_Medal_04.gif
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Commissar | CSM Marines | =][= Inquisitor | AM Knight

CaptainHelion

CaptainHelion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,600 posts

Plus, it's Open-Topped, so....

Willy Pete

Willy Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Well, it is now.  cry.gif 

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,598 posts
When the newly founded Imperial Flamer, Bolter & Chainsword Witch Hunting Appreciation Society makes you happy :P
  • Fulkes likes this

Montford981

Montford981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sisters of Battle/Red Templars

You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when you notice you've gotten some muscle tone just from carrying your Army around.

Edited by Montford981, 09 February 2017 - 01:40 AM.

• Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, KBA and CrusherJoe like this

Peace may cost less than war, or infinitely more, for war cannot cost more than one's own life.

-Klingon proverb

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,598 posts

This thread needs a bump (I refuse to let it die!) and these posts by Miko are pretty great.

I suppose the content of this post can be "You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when these are relevant to you"

My personal take on the matter is this;

Relationships are a distraction, and sex is fun.

The Adepta Sororitas are a penitent order. They use pens covered in needles, practice self-flagellation and spend their days training for war, investigating corruption and being very sorry for what their spiritual ancestors did. These things are enshrined in the fluff. They're as close to canon as 40k gets.

Therefore, Sisters do not have relationships with people outside their Orders, and they never, ever have sex.

Because they know, as part of their faith and very nature, that they do not deserve that pleasure. Or any other, other than the satisfaction of a job well done, and that only after they have gone through every step of the job looking for mistakes.

Firstly so that they can avoid making them next time, and secondly so they know how much more penitence to make.

The Adepta Sororitas are not a sane organisation. They are religious fanatics. If there's one catholic ideal that they hold dear to their hearts, it's that of Original Sin.

Becoming the Brides of the Emperor instead of cutting Vandire down on San Leor is their Original Sin, and no amount of blood, suffering and praying can ever, ever wash that sin away.

But they are trying. They are doing the Emperor's holy work. They are ensuring that nothing like it ever happens again. Defending the faithful. Protecting them from those who desire to turn them away, or mis-use their faith. They are the daughters of the Emperor and sin. But they are still Daughters of the Emperor.

And they will earn the right to stand with their father against the coming darkness.

~snip~

Of all Aznable's proposed hypotheticas, I actually don't have a problem with #3 so much - I did specify 'relationships outside their orders'. I do think that there's potentially room for a... I guess the best way to call it is a 'romantic two-girl friendship', between two Sisters. It's not dating, they're not "in love", and they're not having sex. But they do love each other.

On the other hand, members of a long-term squad probably feel that way towards all their close sisters. When you walk through hell, it's a recorded fact that people form strong emotional bonds with those who walk with them.

Edited by Servant of Dante, 26 March 2017 - 11:22 PM.

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Penitent Spirit
On the above statement, that's delving into the world of different kinds of love; ie, Phileo: love of a friend; Agape: unconditional love of God for his creation or a parent for their child. Few other but can't think of their names off the top of my head. It is a sadness that most people immediately jump to Eros: sexual love when talking about love.

Back on topic.

You know you're a sisters player when the immediate response to you after telling people you play sisters, is sympathy.

You know you're a sisters player when you have to keep your carry case on the floor for fear of breaking the game table.

When your army and it's carry case is used to hold open the hall door.

You know you're a snobby sisters player when rumours of plastic sisters make you cringe, knowing there'll be an inevitable tide of fake sisters players when they eventually come.

Brightstar

Brightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 300 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sacred Rose. IVth Legion.

You know you're a Sisters player when your feel you have to reassure your Tyranid-playing opponent "No, I didn't tailor my list. It's normal for me to run that many Flamers."

• Beams likes this

CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 120 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

You know you're a Sisters player when your feel you have to reassure your Tyranid-playing opponent "No, I didn't tailor my list. It's normal for me to run that many Flamers."

...or GSC players. They really hate flamers. A lot.
  • Beams likes this
QUOTE (Lagrath @ Jul 22 2008, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chaos players complaining about goodies in the vanilla codex is hilarious to watch. It's like Bill Gates complaining that the blue-collar worker down the street won 500 dollars in the lottery.

"I am not alone," said Celestine. "And your hour is done."

Willy Pete

Willy Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Add Orcs to the list.  They don't seem to enjoy having heavy flamethrowers in their faces. :)

Actually, I've found that even Marines don't like heavy flamethrowers.  I think they're just prejudiced. rolleyesclean.gif

• Rod.H likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,256 posts
  • Chapter Name: Catachan Wolves

When an Astra Militarum guardsman shouts, "Get back in the kitchen," you answer, "I never left."

Your "kitchen" is the battlefield. Your "cooking instruments" are the holy bolter, flamer, and meltagun. The "ingredients" are the mortal remains of heretics, mutants, and xenos, which you burn and then offer to the God-Emperor as a "meal." (Incidentally, there's a fierce rivalry between you and an Iron Hand, regarding who's the better cook.)

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 162 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

You spend hours, days, and weeks finding the right bits and sculpting the robes just right because you don't want to spend the money for the metal miniatures, only to realize you've spent three times as much as you would have if you just bought the metal ones online.

• MrFlutterPie and Servant of Dante like this

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

Willy Pete

Willy Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when you're browsing through the offerings on Ebay thinking, 'I only have sixteen vehicles and 200 figs, and that's not nearly enough.'laugh.png 

• Montford981, Aquilanus, MrFlutterPie and 1 other like this

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 121 posts

... when you see this post and your brain explodes at the heresy contained.

(No, not bashing the player, but... my head hurts after reading that post. Especially after coming to the realization that three anti-psychic forces watched psykers in a fourth force summon daemons... that abhor psykers themselves.)

Edited by taikishi, 14 April 2017 - 01:53 PM.

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,598 posts
I dropped a quick reply in that thread :D

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 162 posts
When it's cheaper to convert a forgeworld model into an exorcist than to buy the actual exorcist on eBay.

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,019 posts

Yes. Yes it is.

Easier to deal with too.

You know you're a sister of battle player when people just assume you'll handle the barbecue. And it's the only instance ever that it is because you're used to burn stuff as opposed of "get back in the kitchen."

(They tend to start asking someone else to deal with the food when they realize you don't know how to cook anything less burned than carbonized though.)

• micahwc likes this

I'm not your friend.

A.T.

A.T.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 463 posts

When it's cheaper to convert a forgeworld model into an exorcist than to buy the actual exorcist on eBay.

When it's cheaper to convert a forgeworld model into an exorcist... but it doesn't have to be tongue.png

Ophelia-pattern Exorcist

• micahwc likes this

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 16,819 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hunter Legion

Burning BBQ food is heresy, I'd put you on the stake for that :P

• Beams likes this

gallery_30308_9518_3622.pnggallery_30308_9518_1600.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.pnggallery_30308_3239_4912.pngETL_Medal_04.gif
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Commissar | CSM Marines | =][= Inquisitor | AM Knight

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 162 posts

Yes. Yes it is.

Easier to deal with too

That's exactly what I'm doing. Adding some fleur de lis and calling it an exorcist.

Sir_Gaea

Sir_Gaea

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sisters of the Cerulean Flame

Yes. Yes it is.

Easier to deal with too.

Huh, so I'm not the only one to use that hull for an Exorcist? Nice to know. I use Bitspludo missile launcher for, well, the missile launcher.

Eddie Orlock

Eddie Orlock

++ FRATERIS TEMPLAR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,408 posts
  • Chapter Name: Storm Angels

Burning BBQ food is heresy, I'd put you on the stake for that tongue.png

I see we've identified an operative of the Ordo Culinarius.

An obscure branch more often found cleansing heresies from underhive commissaries than dealing with sororita.

"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."
- Wallace Sayre

The continued future of the Bolter and Chainsword is in your hands.

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,598 posts

When you write a stanza and a half of a hymn while writing a piece about a battle

For reference, this is the beginning of the Litany of the Torch (just after the Reign of Blood), so a true classic :P I had a composer name picked out, but I'm reconsidering that.

. . . I used google translate, so I'm sure there are plenty of issues with this Latin. If any of you actually know the language, feel free to correct it. I'd appreciate it.

Lux et ignis,

Dominus inimicos tuos contra nos stare,

Confido autem in suo robore,

Dominus, in te speramus.

Vitam et mortem,

Da fortitudinem tuam nobis,

+++ stanza continues +++

What I was going for (roughly) is: 

Light and fire,

Lord, you enemies are arrayed before us,

Confident in their might,

Lord, we trust in you.

Life and death,

Grant us Your strength,

. . .

The second line in particular I'm very dubious of. I don't think it's giving me a proper translation, especially since it's a fragment I'm trying to translate. I might at some point continue writing this

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users