You know you're a Sister of Battle player when...

You know you're an (old) Sisters of Battle player when you can truthfully say you bought your first SoB figs before a lot of the other players were even alive. :wink.:

I call that an unfair advantage, which is why I don't bring it up :tongue.: Feel free to complain about the whipper snapper novitiates burning your front lawn though, that one is earned fair and square :laugh.:
The new Dominions with flamers can be bothersome can't they? :P

You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when your Exorcist takes a direct hit from a Space Wolves' Stormfang gunship's Helfrost Destructor, makes its Shield of Faith roll, then responds by hitting the gunship with three missiles, blowing it out of the sky.  All so you can properly savor the frustrated tears of rage of your enemy. :)

Seriously, his Space Wolves had terrible luck that day.  Out of four turns, that was the only time his Stormfang hit anything.  I told him he should keep his Wolves away from the beer until after the battle.

Also, the flamers setting my yard on fire I can handle, I hate mowing the grass.  It's when they're just learning how to use meltas that it gets ugly.  My poor pickup is never going to be the same. :(

• 1 month later...

This thread needs a bump (I refuse to let it die!) and these posts by Miko are pretty great.

I suppose the content of this post can be "You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when these are relevant to you"

My personal take on the matter is this;

Relationships are a distraction, and sex is fun.

The Adepta Sororitas are a penitent order. They use pens covered in needles, practice self-flagellation and spend their days training for war, investigating corruption and being very sorry for what their spiritual ancestors did. These things are enshrined in the fluff. They're as close to canon as 40k gets.

Therefore, Sisters do not have relationships with people outside their Orders, and they never, ever have sex.

Because they know, as part of their faith and very nature, that they do not deserve that pleasure. Or any other, other than the satisfaction of a job well done, and that only after they have gone through every step of the job looking for mistakes.

Firstly so that they can avoid making them next time, and secondly so they know how much more penitence to make.

The Adepta Sororitas are not a sane organisation. They are religious fanatics. If there's one catholic ideal that they hold dear to their hearts, it's that of Original Sin.

Becoming the Brides of the Emperor instead of cutting Vandire down on San Leor is their Original Sin, and no amount of blood, suffering and praying can ever, ever wash that sin away.

But they are trying. They are doing the Emperor's holy work. They are ensuring that nothing like it ever happens again. Defending the faithful. Protecting them from those who desire to turn them away, or mis-use their faith. They are the daughters of the Emperor and sin. But they are still Daughters of the Emperor.

And they will earn the right to stand with their father against the coming darkness.

~snip~

Of all Aznable's proposed hypotheticas, I actually don't have a problem with #3 so much - I did specify 'relationships outside their orders'. I do think that there's potentially room for a... I guess the best way to call it is a 'romantic two-girl friendship', between two Sisters. It's not dating, they're not "in love", and they're not having sex. But they do love each other.

On the other hand, members of a long-term squad probably feel that way towards all their close sisters. When you walk through hell, it's a recorded fact that people form strong emotional bonds with those who walk with them.

Edited by Servant of Dante

On the above statement, that's delving into the world of different kinds of love; ie, Phileo: love of a friend; Agape: unconditional love of God for his creation or a parent for their child. Few other but can't think of their names off the top of my head. It is a sadness that most people immediately jump to Eros: sexual love when talking about love.

Back on topic.

You know you're a sisters player when the immediate response to you after telling people you play sisters, is sympathy.

You know you're a sisters player when you have to keep your carry case on the floor for fear of breaking the game table.

When your army and it's carry case is used to hold open the hall door.

You know you're a snobby sisters player when rumours of plastic sisters make you cringe, knowing there'll be an inevitable tide of fake sisters players when they eventually come.

When an Astra Militarum guardsman shouts, "Get back in the kitchen," you answer, "I never left."

Your "kitchen" is the battlefield. Your "cooking instruments" are the holy bolter, flamer, and meltagun. The "ingredients" are the mortal remains of heretics, mutants, and xenos, which you burn and then offer to the God-Emperor as a "meal." (Incidentally, there's a fierce rivalry between you and an Iron Hand, regarding who's the better cook.)

You spend hours, days, and weeks finding the right bits and sculpting the robes just right because you don't want to spend the money for the metal miniatures, only to realize you've spent three times as much as you would have if you just bought the metal ones online.

... when you see this post and your brain explodes at the heresy contained.

(No, not bashing the player, but... my head hurts after reading that post. Especially after coming to the realization that three anti-psychic forces watched psykers in a fourth force summon daemons... that abhor psykers themselves.)

Edited by taikishi

Yes. Yes it is.

Easier to deal with too.

You know you're a sister of battle player when people just assume you'll handle the barbecue. And it's the only instance ever that it is because you're used to burn stuff as opposed of "get back in the kitchen."

(They tend to start asking someone else to deal with the food when they realize you don't know how to cook anything less burned than carbonized though.)

When you write a stanza and a half of a hymn while writing a piece about a battle

For reference, this is the beginning of the Litany of the Torch (just after the Reign of Blood), so a true classic :P I had a composer name picked out, but I'm reconsidering that.

. . . I used google translate, so I'm sure there are plenty of issues with this Latin. If any of you actually know the language, feel free to correct it. I'd appreciate it.

Lux et ignis,

Dominus inimicos tuos contra nos stare,

Confido autem in suo robore,

Dominus, in te speramus.

Vitam et mortem,

Da fortitudinem tuam nobis,

+++ stanza continues +++

What I was going for (roughly) is: 

Light and fire,

Lord, you enemies are arrayed before us,

Confident in their might,

Lord, we trust in you.

Life and death,

Grant us Your strength,

. . .

The second line in particular I'm very dubious of. I don't think it's giving me a proper translation, especially since it's a fragment I'm trying to translate. I might at some point continue writing this