+ The Jericho Crusade + Sword Brethren Cometh!

Acebaur

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

The sword tip is actually from a TDA sgt arm(cut off to make room for my grav cannons above) and the staff itself was from the GK sprue. It was originally a force staff, but after I purified it of it's filthy witch nonsense it is now an honorable lance! ;) 

Your chappies are making excellent progress, I particularly like the shoulder pads on both.  Those big guards on the pads are always a pain, whether in silver or gold - generally they work out OK with extreme highlighting?

Any chance of some chain for the TDA Chaplain's storm bolter?

• 2 weeks later...

So I played in a "friendly" tournament that my LGS hosts every friday night. The emphasis is on having fun and not crushing face.  It was 750 points and we played on 4x4 tables. 

Here is the list I ran

Hidden Content
CAD

HQ

Emperor's Champion

Elites

Venerable Dreadnought w/HF

Troops

Crusader squad x9

5 Initiates, 3 neophytes, Flamer, Power Axe, Sword Brother w/Power sword

Rhino 

Crusader squad x7

5 initiates, 2 neophytes, flamer, heavy bolter

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Typhoon x1

Land Speeder Typhoon x1

Drop pod.

I went with this list because I didn't know what the level of competitiveness was going to be and figured it was a good middle ground. Plus I wanted to try out the Ven dread and the EC.  I ran the pod in the FA slot so I could choose to put one of the crusader squads in it, which I did do in one game. Very handy that.  

My opponents were Tau, Eldar, Necrons :censored:

:laugh.: No it actually wasn't that bad, I had a blast. The first game against the Tau was a slaughter, he was a new player and his list was less than competitive, but we had a fun and both enjoyed the game. He had a Riptide, two hammerheads a squad of crisis suits and fire warriors.  I dropped the dread in his face and it managed to survive long enough to murder the crisis suits before the riptide blew it apart. Ultimately I was able to glance his tanks to death and the warriors died like flies to my crusaders. it was the Emperor's Will mission and I had a huge victory. 

The second game was against a veteran player and her eldar bike and wraith guard spam. It was the escalating maelstrom mission and it was a fantastic game. I only lost by 1 VP. At first I was thinking I was giong to get slaughtered  and I was pretty decimated by the end, but all game I kept telling myself, play the mission, play the mission. and I was able to pull a lot of objectives I could score. On the last game turn(I went first) I pulled 3 cards, two of them were destroy a unit(one in an assault) and the other was slay an enemy character in a challenge.

So my EC and squad were on the other side of the Bastion terrain piece and the farseer and his squad of jetbikes were 10" away.  I knew I was behind anyway and thought, if I can pull off this charge, I'll slaughter them. She overwatched, I lost a marine. Now they have Rage cause of my CT. I roll exactly 10 inches on the charge! EC challenges and the farseer accepts. He gets 4 wounds 3(THREE!!) of them are instant death. She makes his invul on all 3 instant death saves, but loses a wound on the last one. The squad pummels the bikes into dust and on the bottom half of the turn the EC cuts his head off. It was so epically awesome I didn't even care that I lost by 1 (she rallied with 4 vp in her bottom half!) Definitely the best game of the night and even though the filthy xenos edged me out in points, the Emperor's Champ slew their witch leader in glorious combat! So I consider it a victory :D

The last game was against another new player with a necron decurion in a kill points mission. My dice had started to leave me in the Eldar game, and the bottom fell out here. I could not make armor saves and he kept on making RP rolls. I had a great strategy and everything(except the dice rolls) went exactly as I thought it would. I used the pod to take the EC and co right in his face.  He had the Storm of Fire warlord trait and it helped a little but man those necrons are hard to kill. Anyway they took a lot of fire and I kept failing saves. He charged me, CT came through again with counter attack but the EC failed to do his job this time with the overlord making his 4++ on the ID wound. That combat ground on the the rest of the game with him slowly whittling me away. His wraiths did what I thought and chased after my crusader squad(I reserved the rhino because you know, free kill points ><) and I figured that would grind out the rest of the game, it would have if I could have made an armor save. But I had positioned my Ven dread for a counter charge and it worked perfectly. I charged in and killed a Wraith. Then his spider joined the fray(probably a mistake) I murdered it with the dread. In the last round my last two marines ate it and the dread stomped the wraiths into nothingness giving me a moral victory. 

So my thoughts so far. The EC is a beast and I love him. He's definitely going to make my lists more often. I LOVE the Righteous Zeal CT rule for Templars, so fluffy and really useful. I Rolled 3 good warlord traits(all from the C:SM one) but I barely used them. The first one against Tau was FNP and never came into play. The second was Furious charge against the eldar and I completely forgot to use it on the amazing 10" charge :tongue.:  And the Storm of fire would have been more useful in a bigger list I think.  Dreads with 4 attacks are awesome! I can't wait to field some more dreads like an Ironclad and I want to try them in squads too.

So I played in a "friendly" tournament that my LGS hosts every friday night. The emphasis is on having fun and not crushing face.  It was 750 points and we played on 4x4 tables. 

Here is the list I ran

Hidden Content
CAD

HQ

Emperor's Champion

Elites

Venerable Dreadnought w/HF

Troops

Crusader squad x9

5 Initiates, 3 neophytes, Flamer, Power Axe, Sword Brother w/Power sword

Rhino 

Crusader squad x7

5 initiates, 2 neophytes, flamer, heavy bolter

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Typhoon x1

Land Speeder Typhoon x1

Drop pod.

I went with this list because I didn't know what the level of competitiveness was going to be and figured it was a good middle ground. Plus I wanted to try out the Ven dread and the EC.  I ran the pod in the FA slot so I could choose to put one of the crusader squads in it, which I did do in one game. Very handy that.  

My opponents were Tau, Eldar, Necrons :censored:

:laugh.: No it actually wasn't that bad, I had a blast. The first game against the Tau was a slaughter, he was a new player and his list was less than competitive, but we had a fun and both enjoyed the game. He had a Riptide, two hammerheads a squad of crisis suits and fire warriors.  I dropped the dread in his face and it managed to survive long enough to murder the crisis suits before the riptide blew it apart. Ultimately I was able to glance his tanks to death and the warriors died like flies to my crusaders. it was the Emperor's Will mission and I had a huge victory. 

The second game was against a veteran player and her eldar bike and wraith guard spam. It was the escalating maelstrom mission and it was a fantastic game. I only lost by 1 VP. At first I was thinking I was giong to get slaughtered  and I was pretty decimated by the end, but all game I kept telling myself, play the mission, play the mission. and I was able to pull a lot of objectives I could score. On the last game turn(I went first) I pulled 3 cards, two of them were destroy a unit(one in an assault) and the other was slay an enemy character in a challenge.

So my EC and squad were on the other side of the Bastion terrain piece and the farseer and his squad of jetbikes were 10" away.  I knew I was behind anyway and thought, if I can pull off this charge, I'll slaughter them. She overwatched, I lost a marine. Now they have Rage cause of my CT. I roll exactly 10 inches on the charge! EC challenges and the farseer accepts. He gets 4 wounds 3(THREE!!) of them are instant death. She makes his invul on all 3 instant death saves, but loses a wound on the last one. The squad pummels the bikes into dust and on the bottom half of the turn the EC cuts his head off. It was so epically awesome I didn't even care that I lost by 1 (she rallied with 4 vp in her bottom half!) Definitely the best game of the night and even though the filthy xenos edged me out in points, the Emperor's Champ slew their witch leader in glorious combat! So I consider it a victory :biggrin.:

The last game was against another new player with a necron decurion in a kill points mission. My dice had started to leave me in the Eldar game, and the bottom fell out here. I could not make armor saves and he kept on making RP rolls. I had a great strategy and everything(except the dice rolls) went exactly as I thought it would. I used the pod to take the EC and co right in his face.  He had the Storm of Fire warlord trait and it helped a little but man those necrons are hard to kill. Anyway they took a lot of fire and I kept failing saves. He charged me, CT came through again with counter attack but the EC failed to do his job this time with the overlord making his 4++ on the ID wound. That combat ground on the the rest of the game with him slowly whittling me away. His wraiths did what I thought and chased after my crusader squad(I reserved the rhino because you know, free kill points ><) and I figured that would grind out the rest of the game, it would have if I could have made an armor save. But I had positioned my Ven dread for a counter charge and it worked perfectly. I charged in and killed a Wraith. Then his spider joined the fray(probably a mistake) I murdered it with the dread. In the last round my last two marines ate it and the dread stomped the wraiths into nothingness giving me a moral victory. 

So my thoughts so far. The EC is a beast and I love him. He's definitely going to make my lists more often. I LOVE the Righteous Zeal CT rule for Templars, so fluffy and really useful. I Rolled 3 good warlord traits(all from the C:SM one) but I barely used them. The first one against Tau was FNP and never came into play. The second was Furious charge against the eldar and I completely forgot to use it on the amazing 10" charge :tongue.:  And the Storm of fire would have been more useful in a bigger list I think.  Dreads with 4 attacks are awesome! I can't wait to field some more dreads like an Ironclad and I want to try them in squads too.

Well Done! Very well done indeed!

Good to see you had fun ace! I cant wait to get my hands on the new codex! I'll. Definelty need to grab myself an EC. Hows the typhoon? I was never hear for the 4th edition codex were it was typhoons for daaayz. Also how did the shooty crusader squad do? Did the assualty crusader squad get the charge off a lot or wad it just shot off the table? Cant wait to see more!

Good to see you had fun ace! I cant wait to get my hands on the new codex! I'll. Definelty need to grab myself an EC. Hows the typhoon? I was never hear for the 4th edition codex were it was typhoons for daaayz. Also how did the shooty crusader squad do? Did the assualty crusader squad get the charge off a lot or wad it just shot off the table? Cant wait to see more!

The Typhoons are great! Pretty much my go to loadout for the LS. This is because I've found that LS are very fragile and even small arms fire can take them down easily. So the Typhoon launchers and HB combo give plenty of range to stay away from stuff while still having solid amounts of fire. I do want to run some Assault cannons though now that they are much cheaper though. 

The shooty squad did ok, with pretty much only the heavy bolter shooting much of anything. The assault squad though definitely got off several charges, the best of which was that epic 10" charge against the Eldar. 

Edit: Also, TDA chaplain is almost done, pics incoming!

Ace, would you mind snapping a few quick pictures of your Praetor sword hilt? I had been contemplating something similar for a conversion, but too scared to mess up my only Praetor blade. 

Sure thing. Here you go

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/2015-06-28%2021.12.00_zpswle5ttgv.jpg

The hilt pieces are from the sheathed Templar sword.  

Great thread Ace. Awesome work on the kitbashing!! :smile.:

Thanks!  Here are the newest additions to my crusade. I finally got around to putting together some of the Tactical squad kit as well as some others that were never finished. 

These two are ready for paint. I'll need a grav gun guy for my double grav crusader squads once I get one of the new PA cannons. And the guy on the right I just love his pose

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150630_195557_zpsz4w5noyq.jpg

So I wanted another power axe Initiate because I sometimes run more than one and the one I have isn't the greatest of poses. So I decided to make him WYSIWYG with a bolter and I'll maglock a pistol to his back.  The LC guy is going to be a Sword Brethren. I loved the "come at me bro" look of the claw and figured why not? Plus I've re-done the math and disparity between LC and sword get bigger when you get more attacks total(like with Rage)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150630_195743_zpspl5closk.jpg

This guy I'd had partially put together for a long time, but finally found the right head.  Now to figure out the shoulder pads... More studs maybe?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150630_221013_zpsyjubf92p.jpg

This guy is also WIP.  I wanted some bolter guys wielding CCW's because we're Templars and like to stab stuff :lol

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150630_195844_zps6xooyub7.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150630_195904_zps2m390we7.jpg

So that's all for now C&C is welcome as always!

Might want to detach the bolter and trim a bit more off the wrist of that last guy.  The wrist bindings are pretty wide, so it's not as simple as just cutting off the hand and attaching the chained weapon.

Might want to detach the bolter and trim a bit more off the wrist of that last guy.  The wrist bindings are pretty wide, so it's not as simple as just cutting off the hand and attaching the chained weapon.

I did trim a good bit off the arm before putting the templar gun on.  I'll look at it again for sure though

• 4 weeks later...

White on gold can get sort of washed out.  Red has contrast, but that particular red has a slightly muted purple tint to it.  I'd try to lean more towards a scarlet for some serious contrast, or perhaps simply go with black.

Looking good overall though.  Your highlighting skills have come a long way. :smile.:

White on gold can get sort of washed out.  Red has contrast, but that particular red has a slightly muted purple tint to it.  I'd try to lean more towards a scarlet for some serious contrast, or perhaps simply go with black.

Looking good overall though.  Your highlighting skills have come a long way. :smile.:

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that that was just the base coat :lol: That was the Mephiston red base color, it since has had like 5 more layers of successively brighter red highlights. I wasn't super sure when I took that picture, but now that I've highlighted it, I'm digging it.

And thanks!  I've been working on my armor highlights. You'll see some more of it when I post up my other chaplains. I need to do a bit of cropping and such with the pics before I post them though.  

Archived