Regiments of the B&C: One for All

Kierdale

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_Opening_Poster_V3.jpg

++Registering unknown regiments in Segmentus Supellex Ikeus++

++Documentation and pict recording of regiments is needed for registration++

++By decree of PRÆFECT SOCIORUM, EXERCITUM IMPERARE, OSSIFRAGUS PRAECURSORIS and SALIATUS++

++All regiments required to register++

++Regimental HQs fill in attached form for registration and hand back to servitor++

++Failure to do so will result in frontal lobotomy and reduction to servitor status++

By the Emperor's decree

CMNS Arcturus A-652 and CMNS Stu

Welcome to the first modelling challenge hosted by the Bolter & Chainsword's Imperial Guard forum, Regiments of the B&C: One for All, All for One.

What the vow entails:

• Signifying your participation (via a post stating as much in this very thread) in this grand endeavour by April 1st 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ).
  • Posting an image of the unpainted or basecoated model in this thread by April 14th 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ).

And finally, by April 27th 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ):

• Posting at least one image of the finished (painted and based) single (loyalist or traitor) Imperial Guard infantry model representative of your regiment or army.
  • Writing up a short bio of that Imperial Guard trooper, no shorter than 100 words.
  • Writing up a short background of your army, no shorter than 300 words

What is allowed:

• All imperial guard armies (loyalist, PDF or traitor), armed with Imperial weaponry which means all FW, GW, victoria miniatures etc. as long as the weapons are within the guard codex, any supplements available during the competition period or one of the Forge world books and can clearly be identified as Imperial weapons. Autopistols/guns may count as laspistols/lasguns.
  • Conversions.
  • `Infantry model` means: any choice from the Troops section of the chosen Imperial Guard army list (heavy weapons teams included)

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IGHeader_Banner.jpg

What you earn:
Note that the actual images will not be released until the event ends.

• Successfully submitting images of only the completed model earns you your lance corporal's chevron.
  • Successfully submitting images of the completed model and either of the write-ups earns you your corporal's chevrons.
  • Successfully submitting images of the completed model and both of the write-ups earns you your sergeant's chevrons.

Finally...
By all means flaunt your participation in this grand endeavour with the addition into your signature of your choice of the following images:

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_14A_Banner.jpg

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_14A_Badge.jpg

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_14A_Banner.jpghttp://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/IG_14A_Badge.jpg

Entrants and Progress

Regiments of the B&C
ID Recruit WIP Model Trooper Regiment Rank
1 Honda WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
2 Arkaniss WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
3 Furyou Miko WIP [/td] Trooper Regiment MIA
4 WarriorFish WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
5 ValkyrieUndead WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
6 Grotsmasha WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
7 Idlem WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
8 Kilofix WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
9 Sviar WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
10 lionofjudah WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
11 leinmann KIA
12 MasterBuilder KIA
13 Epistaxis WIP MIA
14 Uprising KIA
15 march10k WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
16 Lord Commander Scrymgeour WIP Model Lance Corporal
17 Ammonius WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
18 Rai WIP MIA
19 Cate WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
20 Captain Semper WIP Model Lance Corporal
21 CaptainHelion WIP Trooper Regiment MIA
22 GuardsmanLowe KIA
23 Maelarion WIP Trooper MIA
24 Nicodemus Dolorosus WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
25 Warhawk Shizu KIA
26 Silver Phoenix WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
27 Stercus WIP MIA
28 Castellan Cato WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
29 Brother Lorien WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
30 Daemonifugue KIA
31 Kierdale WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
32 our_baz WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
33 +DAN+ WIP Model Lance Corporal
34 spafe WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
35 Andhil WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
36 Firebrethren KIA
37 Battle-Brother Ludovic KIA
38 -Max- WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
39 Chaeron WIP Model Lance Corporal
40 The Yak WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
41 SethsChosen WIP Trooper Regiment MIA
42 Malus Trux WIP Model Trooper Corporal
43 cod_lover WIP Model Trooper Regiment Sergeant
44 TJWyrm KIA
45 cypherthefallenangel WIP Model Lance Corporal
46 walter h WIP

It would be appreciated if the descriptive portion of entries used the spoiler tags as per...

An example entry:

• By April 1st 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ):

"Hereby submitting an entry for Kierdale's Shrineworld Garrison."

• By April 14th 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ):

gallery_63428_8145_52885.jpg

• By April 27th 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ):

gallery_63428_8145_32499.jpg

• Trooper S. Diligence

A trooper in second squad, first platoon, B-company of the 41st regiment of foot, S. Diligence has served in the garrison for nearly five years, following his conscription during an incursion of renegade Astartes (believed to have been of the [EXPURGED] legion) on Alceforge. Not only surviving the initial clash (one of only seven survivors from his unit of fifty ”Pia ciuitas in bello”) but managing to hold up enemy cultists until artillery could be redirected onto their position, trooper S. Diligence requested transfer to an infantry squad upon his release from the apothicarium. Replacing casualties suffered by B-company at the hands of the renegades, S. Diligence was placed in first platoon’s second squad under sergeant Ardor where the trooper’s marksmanship skill and discipline became apparent. He fit in well with the rest of his squad, delivering rapid volleys of ranked lasfire when the renegade Astartes made their final assault upon Alceforge Primus.

Trooper S. Diligence is currently MIA.

• The Imperial Guard forces of Kierdale’s Shrineworld Garrison

History

Kierdale’s World is a shrineworld located in the galactic west, the nearest other Imperial settlement being the Adeptus Mechanicus-claimed world of Alceforge. Settled long ago during the Great Crusade with a name now long-forgotten, the colony was cut off from the Imperium for many millennia by warp storms during the centuries following the Horus Heresy and, starved of communication and trade, civilization reverted to a feudal state. This regression was far from smooth: noble houses who had once sworn loyalty to the planetary Imperial governor waged war against one another. None but the Ecclesiarchy were safe. The members of the priesthood shrewdly chose to side with whoever was in power at the time. These civil wars seemed fated to continue endlessly until one of the priesthood’s friars returned to the head temple professing to have witnessed a vision of the end of days.

This priest was brother Kierdale.

It was Kierdale’s great charisma and oratory skill which managed firstly to convince his superiors of the veracity of his claims and secondly to unite most of the noble houses. Those that refused to believe soon changed their minds when a Greenskin hulk was spotted entering orbit above the planet. Those who did not flock to Kierdale and the ecclisiarchy’s banner found themselves butchered by the first Greenskin assaults. Friar Kierdale himself refused to remain at the head temple and instead returned to his wandering ways, accompanied by a chosen band of comrades, lending aid where he could. It was during one of the first clashes with the Xenos that Kierdale lost his left arm, hacked off by one of the foul beings and later replaced with a cybernetic prosthetic.

Under friar Kierdale and the priesthood’s leadership the Greenskins were first driven back and finally wiped out, the climactic battle taking place upon the plains were the Orks hulk had crashlanded. Friar Kierdale fell in combat that day and Lord Burnett, leader of the majority of the household troops who took part in the action and slayer of the Ork warboss himself, chose to rename the planet in honour of the prophet. He also proclaimed that all future ruling lords of the Burnett house would bear the title Lord Kierdale.

The plains where the final battle occurred were named the Kierdale Downs and, after the taint of the Xenos had been removed, a statue of friar Kierdale was erected upon the site.

When Kierdale’s World was finally reunited with the greater Imperium, lord Kierdale was recognized as and instated as the Imperial governor. While Adeptus Mechanicus representatives from Alceforge attempt to replace the planet’s aged technology with that more equal to the majority of the Imperium, this has permeated little further than the garrison itself: the Kierdale’s Worlders on the whole clung to their old ways. While the garrison's guardsmen are armed akin to those in countless regiments across the Imperium it is a common sight to see Kierdale’s World conscripts wielding antique-looking lasguns with wooden stocks, cables connecting them to bulky powerpacks at their belts.

Abhumans

Another noted aspect of Kierdale’s World is the presence of abhumans. While the cult of the Emperor is strong, so is the taint of Chaos ever-present. Household slaves who worked the mines on the planet’s two high-gravity moons Gog and Magog developed large, overly-muscled bodies while their brains became stunted. These muscular brutes too saw combat against that Greenskin onslaught, defending their homeland and earning many laurels, such that Gogmagogs (kindred to homo sapiens gigantus) now in the 41st millennium serve in the planet’s military.

The taint of chaos was most commonly seen in offspring identified as homo sapiens variatus. Initially destroyed upon the orders of the ecclisiarchy in bloody pogroms, these mutants came to gain recognition thanks again to the actions of friar Kierdale. It was his disputes with his superiors in the church on the mutant-issue which saw him `granted` friar-status and sent out to preach across the planet, and his choosing of a `beastman` bodyguard during the wars against the Greenskins that saw them gain, if not recognition, a chance for redemption in the eyes of the Emperor. Hence the formation of penal legionnaire units lead by minor members of the priesthood. Indeed a beastman named Mister Tumnos earned his freedom (and subsequent immediate conscription into the Kierdale’s World garrison) and redemption in saving the life of the current Lord Kierdale. Mister Tumnos now serves in the lord’s command squad.

In recent years Kierdale’s Shrineworld has become home to a small band of homo sapiens rotundus refugees who were conducting offworld trade when their homeworld was consumed by the Great Devourer. These exiles are too few to form a genetically viable continuation of their species and, while they staunchly eschew the Imperial Cult (a fact which the populace of the Shrineworld take an exceedingly dim view of) they have sworn to sell their lives in the defence of their new home, earning a modicum of protection via the Adeptus Mechanicus' representatives on the planet (and the hunger those engineers have for access to the exiles' technology).

The Garrison

Following tradition, the garrison of Kierdale’s World is manned by household troops of the planet’s various noble houses, overseen by the ecclisiarchy. Guardsmen take pride in their uniforms which, while being of a fashion non-native to Kierdale's World (it is in the majority most similar to that worn by the Iron Guard of Mordia), they see as a sign of their having been chosen for service in the Emperor's own Hammer. While the vast majority of homes on Kierdale's World have las-muskets which are heirlooms, passed down and lovingly cared for since the days of friar Kierdale, the garrison itself is armed with standard-pattern lasrifles. When a conscript gives up his family's weapon (often passing it on to a son or daughter) and takes up one of the garrison's own weapons it symbolises he is no longer merely to protect his homeworld but rather the Imperium itself.

When war comes to the sector which Kierdale’s World calls home (an all too often, if not continuous, occurrence), the garrison is called upon to dispatch forces. In dire occasions the majority of Kierdale’s World garrison can be dispatched to fight on foreign soil, and Fraternis Militia (conscripts) units can be raised. The nomadic trader tribes of the World’s equatorial desert regions can also be pressed into combat, their gaudy silk-clad yet ferocious warriors in stark contrast to the pristine household guardsmen.

While most household troops go to war in their pristine uniforms, some (usually those who have seen regular combat) often don more battle-worthy armour and fatigues. Nevertheless, a unit’s battlefield role is indicated by coloured markings upon their armour and uniform in a manner akin to that of Arcadian regiments (c.f. the Arcadian 5th):

• Units fulfilling a command role such as company command squads display yellow markings.
    • Units in a support role have blue markings. Examples include heavy weapon squads and dedicated transports.
    • Assault units such as cavalry and many veteran units are marked with green.
    • Infantry squads and other such line/tactical units are indicated by red markings.
    • White indicates conscripts.
    • Black indicates penitents.
    Infantry display these colours on hat bands, trouser stripes and epaulets (in the case of those wearing `soft` armour) or as a vertical stripe over the helmet and the front, back and lower side trim of shoulder pads (in the case of those wearing `hard` armour). Should an officer wear an aiguillette, the primary colour will be that of his unit type, with yellow or gold tips indicating his command position. Dual roles are indicated by combining two colours in these locations.

Right. Let's do this - I'm in. Can I come back later and edit my post with a regiment name and number? I literally don't have any idea right now... or models. This is a spur of the moment thing I'm afraid!

Edit: Apologies for the delay (also terrible picture), but recovering and stripping down the model took a while. Here is Guardsman Han Einzig, Private of the 501st Swaibian Shock Troopers.

Edit 2: Fixed broken image link

gallery_27469_9459_67250.jpg

I'm in. :) I will be painting a member of a Saboteur team (platoon special weapon squad) for the Solstice Lunar III regiment.

I haven't decided whether she'll be the sniper or the demo expert though.

The full details of what regiment and model you're doing can come later, you've up until the 1st April 14:00 GMT to decide smile.png

I'm in of course - for the glory of the Emperor! I'm not quite decided what I'll be doing yet, so I'll finish rummaging in my bits box before coming back biggrin.png

Edit: introducing Corporal Isshin of the 144th Arukan!

gallery_30308_3239_20469.jpg

...and the score at the end of the first quarter is Mods 3 Frater 1.

Questions nobody asks: Do the Mods listen to more music by "The Who" than Frater?

Hey lads, quick question, how do feel about one of these busts from Relic?

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y464/Grotsmasha/43ec1a36-f45e-4d15-b9fa-89bfdee33227_zpsc59de12d.jpg

I've put a SM there to show the size is pretty much identical. I'm leaning toward the Commissar...

Cheers,

Jono

Grotsmasha, they look great...but we really want the submitted model to be a good representative of the Troops of your regiment.

Commissars might be a good future challenge... msn-wink.gif

I guess the Ratling/Ogryn don't really represent "the troops", it's ok, I've a Mad Larkin I'll do.

Cheers,

Jono

I'm insmile.png I'll be doing a Guardsman from Sviars 177:th Infantry Platoon, or a HWT from the same Platoon.

I have been working on my background story for a while now. Finally I have a reason to complete it. By the way Kierdale, it is way more than 300 wordsbiggrin.png whistlingW.gif

Whoo hoo! I'll be submitting a HWT that looks as if it has contracted the Obliterator virus for Kryten's Nihilists! Oh i do love the oppurtunities of Chaos. Nice to see us get our first IG only competition too. Awesome sauce.

Well, I am in.  My question can I do two entries?  I am thinking of doing a vet sarge from a traitor guard using bits from the Vrak enforcers.  Or I could do a standard catachan vet based off of my space turok themed kill team.  Thoughts guys?

Ah, sign me up for the 475th Numerican Mechanized Infantry Regiment...I just ordered 28 (including alternate special weapons) Kasrkin...primed model photo below:

med_gallery_13203_9402_981606.jpg

Veteran Sergeant Fisker Kraal was born the illegitimate son of an itinerant preacher just two days before his mother's thirteenth birthday on the factory world Numerica Secundus. Having been unaware of the pregnancy and fearing the exposure of his crime, the priest arranged for Kraal's mother and grandparents to take employment in the household of a minor noble on Numerica Prime. While this did not give Fisker access to proper schooling, it did improve his diet and he grew strong in the clean (well, cleaner) air of the capital. The sons of the noble taught him to fight, and one of the daughters who had a crush on him taught him to read before the parents noticed her interest and shipped her off to boarding school. In the house library, Fisker educated himself in his free time.

At the age of majority, he successfully challenged for a place among the ten percent of each class at the Numerican Planetary Defense Academy, and finished third in his class in spite of the favoritism shown to less capable boys of more exalted lineage. Barred to the officer ranks by his low birth, he did qualify by virtue of graduation from the academy for the Night Watch, Numerica's elite palace guard. In the Night Watch, social background meant less than nothing. However, in the toughest unit on the planet, Kraal's exceptional ability was only average, and he spent ten years working his way up to corporal.

When he was 37, and still a corporal, the 475th "Stoneskin" Mechanized Infantry Regiment was levied from the planetary defense force to serve as the Numerica system's contribution to the Imperium's war to liberate the nearby Kastrell system from chaos cultists. The 475th consisted at that time of six companies of infantry and two companies of armor, including ninety chimeras, eighteen leman russes, eight demolishers, a platoon of four griffons, a platoon of four hydras, a scout platoon of nine sentinels, and 700 men.

The third company of the Night Watch (four squads), including Corporal Kraal, was attached to the 475th for this mission. In the climactic battle to capture the cult patriarch, Kraal's sergeant fell, and leadership of the first squad fell to him. By the laws of Numerica, his promotion to sergeant can only be provisional until confirmed by the privy council upon the regiment's return to Numerica.

Naturally, what the guard taketh, it giveth not back. At the conclusion of the Kastrell campaign, the 475th was retained in the Guard and sent to assist the Order of the Mourning Rose in fortifying its shrine world, Felicita V, against a prophesied xenos invasion. Unfortunately, the prophet died without receiving a vision telling him what xenos race was coming, or precisely when. Enroute to Felicita, the 475th was called to assist the Dark Angels' 5th Company in crushing a cult of genestealers in what has been recorded as the Rubicon Valley campaign. After two successful, but costly, campaigns, the depleted regiment arrived on Felicita V a shadow of its former self, fully half of the Night Watch company and two thirds of the regiment proper having fallen in battle. Now it consists of barely more than two companies with less than a company's worth of transports, three platoons of tanks, four sentinels, and two griffons. Still, they are a proud force of veterans whose combat experience will be put to good use fortifying the shrine world against the anticipated invasion while affording them some well-deserved recuperation.

And finished:

gallery_13203_9402_349748.jpg

Well, I am in. My question can I do two entries? I am thinking of doing a vet sarge from a traitor guard using bits from the Vrak enforcers. Or I could do a standard catachan vet based off of my space turok themed kill team. Thoughts guys?

You can do more than one regiment and trooper, you will only get the one completion though (the highest ranking one) but there's nothing stopping you doing as many as you like smile.png

Great timing on this challenge!

I will participate, and will be submitting an entry that represents the Renegade Xarcosan 11th Sapper Regiment, the "Headhunters".

+++Edit 1+++

Unpainted glory!

gallery_60727_9429_15071.jpg

+++Edit 2+++

Painting and Write-ups complete!

gallery_60727_9429_294126.jpg

Trooper Havildar, of the Xarcosan 11th "Headhunters"

Bio:

In the 41st millennium generations have come and gone aboard the ships of the Xarcosan fleet, and centuries have passed in the material universe, and only the official history of what happened in the Xarcos system remains. Children are taught to hate the greedy and wasteful Imperium as much as they are taught to distrust the sinister and inhuman Magi of the Nekrodyne Ascendancy. Their martial culture ensures that every Xarcosan serves in some capacity, and the strongest and best qualified are destined to become soldiers.

Trooper Havildar is one such soldier. Born aboard a voidship, he calls himself a Xarcosan, but has never seen the mountains and oceans that he has been taught are his birthright. The Headhunters had trained extensively in conducting warfare across the rugged face of Xarcosa, serving in theaters of war where the terrain hindered the movement of men and machines, and this tradition of warfare remains intact. Havildar has survived a handful of raids, and joined the ranks of the Veteran squads, where he has received more extensive weapons and tactical training, becoming viciously efficient at destroying infrastructure and fortifications.

Regiment Background:

Xarcosa V was a rugged but verdant world, with deep seas teeming with life. It orbited the star Xarcos, tucked away in the far-flung margins of the Segmentum Obscurus. As time passed the tithe demanded by the Imperium grew until it threatened to overwhelm the sparsely populated planet.

In order to meet these demands, the planetary Governor of Xarcosa opened the remaining wilderness regions and the remote parts of the oceans to off-world Rogue Traders. The sudden influx of people and industry had a dramatic effect on the planet, and in short order Xarcosa became a world of dust and smoke clogged skies, blackened waters, and strip mining pits where mountains used to be.

Shocked by the transformation of their planet, the people of Xarcosa began to split into conflicting factions and counter-factions, those who vilified the Rogue Traders and those who blamed the planetary Governor for opening the frontier to offworlders. Some even dared to voice the opinion that the real fault lay with the Imperial Administration itself. At this point, the assembled Regiments that were present on Xarcosa were ordered by the Governor to bring to heel those he famously called “Those spoiled citizens that forget the cost of civilization.” The order was corrosive to military discipline, and within the first month of suppression operations, whole platoons began to desert their posts and join with the militant factions. Soon after, the planetary Governor was assassinated and open war raged across the planet in early years of M39.

After a decade of vicious guerilla fighting between the militias and organized Guard elements (each claiming the other were the rebels), word arrived that a large force of Astartes were on the way to bring the rebellion to an end. Knowing that no combatant was likely to escape the stern judgment of the Emperor’s Angels unscathed, all of the factions redoubled their efforts, desperately trying to establish themselves as the side most loyal to the Imperium. However, some individual commanders knew that appeals for mercy would be futile, and therefore put their efforts into escaping the planet completely.

One such group was the Xarcosan 11th “Headhunters” who, with depleted remnants of other units, fought their way to one of the last operable starports and joined with like-minded Navy forces, which had been stationed around the Xarcosan moons. Together, they formed a sizeable fleet, broke through the orbital battle zone, and escaped into the Warp. They fled toward the Halo Stars at the outer edge of Imperial Space, where they made contact with a Dark Mechanicus forge-fleet calling itself the Nekrodyne Ascendancy. The Magi were more than willing to provide their services in exchange for the Xarcosan’s military strength and after a period of negotiation the Xarcosans agreed join forces with the Ascendancy, and accompany them on their meandering search for undiscovered sciences and forbidden technologies.

Thanks for looking!

Archived