Regiments of the B&C: One for All

Kierdale

PFC Genji Shiro

Saga House Guard, Air Assault Unit No. 108, Squad 1

Pre-WIP Model:

gallery_53134_7133_132966.jpg

Shiro's Background

Shiro was a second year student at the prestigious Saga Royal Academy studying Ancient Literature and minoring in Business Administration, and a cadet in the Academy’s Officer Training Corps, but was unsatisfied with the direction of his life. As a mediocre cadet from a merchant class family, he knew an active commission in the Saga PDF upon graduation was unlikely, and as a fourth son he feared receiving an empty make-work position in the middle management of the family business. When The Child of Calamity, the chapter barque of the Iron Hounds space marines, entered orbit above Saga and put out a call for volunteers, Shiro resigned from the Academy and mustered with the volunteer training brigade.

Shiro excelled in his basic training, and shortly thereafter distinguished himself in the field as a level headed marksman. Allowed to take an advance placement test, which he scored very well on, he was offered the chance to either attend an accelerated officer candidate course, or tryout for a place within one of the House Guard’s elite Air Assault brigades. Shiro, impressed with the idea of an elite membership, opted for commando selection over officer training. After surviving the test and enduring a harsh indoctrination period, Shiro was promoted to Private First Class and assigned to the 1st squad of the newly raised Air Assault Unit No. 108, where he has earned a reputation for steady competence and fierce loyalty.

Saga House Guard background

The Saga House Guard in M41 are an elite auxiliary unit of the Iron Hounds space marines, sustained through recruitment drives in the Saga system during both traditional visitations for the purpose and the occasional port call for fleet resupply.

The Saga system is a forgotten backwater, far out on a spiral arm of the galaxy. While it is nominally Imperial, it is effectively the hub of an isolated confederation of human held systems who are more or less on their own. A delicate balance exists between the confederation and their neighbors, an assortment of bandit kingdoms, abhuman enclaves, and xenos minoris. War is a constant threat, with low intensity conflict playing out regularly on outposts and fringe worlds, though the Saga system itself is relatively secure. An industrialised system with several hives, Saga has a strong PDF, which it activates for extended patrols and peacekeeping missions throughout the subsector. In addition, Saga has a long standing agreement with the Iron Hounds space marines to provide men and materiel in exchange for timely military support should the system ever come under direct threat.

The Saga House Guard were originally the palace troops of the traditional ruler of the system. Around the turn of the Millennium in late M37, a disastrous civil war between rival claimants to succession of this throne saw the system weakened enough that nearby xenos staged an invasion. The House Guard, removed from civil politics while the throne was empty, was the only military unit not depleted by the civil war, and they waged a bitter fight to preserve the system’s independence. Though the xenos held space superiority, the House Guard dug in deep and denied the enemy complete victory, turning to guerilla resistance when the hives and factorums finally fell. When the Iron Hounds space marines answered their distress call and scattered the enemy fleet, the proud House Guard refused direct assistance with the stranded occupation force, breaking the enemy’s now isolated units and hunting them down to the last being on their own.

Impressed with the fighting spirit of the House Guard, the Warsmith of the Iron Hounds adopted them into his own warband as elite auxiliaries. In return for their service, the Warsmith oversaw the rebuilding of Saga, and reorganised the failed monarchal system into a corporate oligarchy with limited democratic representation. Aboard The Child of Calamity, the House Guard act as security forces and bodyguards answering directly to the Warsmith. Among all the auxiliaries, only they are permitted to stand armed watch outside of their own living space, with every important operation center, major corridor, and Class II secured bulkhead receiving posted soldiers from the House Guard. In addition to these general security duties, the House Guard are the quick reaction force assigned to respond to any mutinies or riots among the workforce, and are the first response force in repelling boarders. Every support vessel of the Iron Hounds has at least one squad of naval infantry assigned as additional protection for its bridge, an arrangement that also ensures quick compliance to orders from the flagship.

The House Guard does not usually fight alongside the space marines of the Iron Hounds, leaving such direct support to regiments such as the Utgaard Rangers or the Aeneian Dragoons. Instead, the House Guard often operates independently as an element of the advance attack force. In this role they provide early reconnaissance and intelligence, as well as striking secondary targets in the opening stages of any invasion. The barracks of elite defense forces, supply depots, prisons, government offices, crucial transportation routes, these are the normal targets of the House Guard, far behind the front lines during campaigns. Attrition is high, but the House Guard are very proud of their service to the Warsmith, who reaffirms his commitment to the defense of the Saga system with every port call above Saga Prime.

WIP and Finished Model to follow.

Sgt Fynn Portus

Hardians Black Masks , 2nd squad , Bellerophon 2nd Airborne brigade

WIP

piper unpainted

Finished
Front

SGTportusFront

Back

SGTportusBack

Side

SGTportusSide

Trooper background

"You will hear them before you see them"

Sgt Fynn Portus is a member of Hardrians Black masks, 2nd squad, a platoon from the Bellerophon guard whose reputation is well known among friend and foe.
Sgt Portus distinguished himself early on in his guard career as a fearless guardsman and allways first into the breach.
One action showing both of the above earned him a place in Hardians Black masks: With no ammo left in his lasgun he held up a squad of cultist after he and his 2 squad mates rushed into a room and took out 1 of the 2 squads, while 1 of them got killed in return.
His comrade then went for reinforcements, not knowning Portus was all out of ammo.
Portus found that this took to long and he single handedly led all of the captured cultists to the OP of the nearest friendly base, where the leading officer of Hardians Black masks was for a briefing of the current situation.
While handing over the prisoners the officer observed Portus take the clip out of his lasgun, replacing it with a fully charged one and filling all his empty ammo pouches with fresh packs.
Curiously the officer asked if he had any ammo left when he led the prisoners here with which Portus answered: "No"
He then noticed the musical instrument Portus allways carries along and asked if he could play it, to which portus answered :"yes"
To which the officer stated:"Then i have a place for you in the Black masks if you want it"
Portus answered only with: "yes"
"Whats your name?", "Portus".

Sgt Portus father Marcus Portus is currently leading Hadrians Black masks 1st squad.

Army background

Bellerophon is one of 2 planets in the Bellerophon star system.
The planet surface is for the large part water.
Many islands/landmasses dot the surface of the planet.

The Bellerephon 2nd Airborne brigade is one of many brigades which make up the full Bellerophon armed forces.
The 2nd was first formed as a normal brigade -allready with a large airborne complement because of the many islands- but after an expeditionary force from the 2nd stumbled upon a very old liberary ship from before the age of colonization during a campaign, they reformed to a structure akin to one they read in several very old books and from devices akin to dataslabs: one allmost solely based on airborne warfare.
They reformed to an airborne brigade, using both grav-shutes and traditional parashutes
Using modified aquila landers to insert troops behind enemy lines or in the thickest of the fight.
They also have a large complement of Valkyries at hand to transport troops or give close air support.

The attached tank brigades use many prototype tanks: some akin to the leman russ or chimera , some with only the chassis of one of the well known tanks

The trademark item of the brigade is thier red berets , which at first earned them the nicknames red devils or red angels, depending on who said it, friend or foe.
Now they are only known as Red Devils.
Several platoons in the Bellerophon also have made a name for themselves , one of them beeing Hardians Black Masks, named after the officer who created the platoon.
Thier trademark item consist of bagpipers who lead them into battle and the traditional kilts they wear.

Former member of the Royal Green Jackets Brother Lorien.

Also a bit of a military history buff especially 6th Airbornes actions on/around d-day and pegasus bridge. You may notice that as the fluff here develops 43rd and 52nd aren't just random numbers. Ox and Bucks light infantry. Pegasus Bridge.

The 2nd was first formed as a normal brigade -allready with a large

airborne complement because of the many islands- but after an

expeditionary force from the 2nd stumbled upon a very old liberary ship

from before the age of colonization during a campaign, they reformed to a

structure akin to one they read in several very old books and from

devices akin to dataslabs: one allmost solely based on airborne warfare.

They reformed to an airborne brigade, using both grav-shutes and traditional parashutes

For some reason, the idea of a bunch of guys parachuting in, wearing kilts just...

Sgt: " Got something in your eye? Laddie, I told you not to look up while they're deploying!"

The figure is just awesome. I love bagpipes.

Ok so below are the fluff elements for my submission...thoughts greatly appreciated :)

Guardsman Raulke of the Octavian 43rd Rifles

Guardsman Raulke of the 43rd Octavian Rifles. Shown returning from the field. Mere hours before the pict was taken Raulke was involved in a dawn raid on a nearby Ork Encampment along with Bravo Platoon. What follows is a extract from Raulkes personal journal

The diary of Guardsmen Raulke 43rd Octavian Rifles

Today was the 1st day we were able to attack those stinking Orks.After three months of solid fighting were finally able to put an attack their way and by the Emperor's shiny throne was it a good day.I can still recall their feral voices in the gloom.

Slowly i crawled forwards through the dense foliage of the woodland floor. Each move rustling leaves, the sound inside my head magnified a hundred times by my heightened senses.
Surely they would hear me, surely they would expose our trap and catch us all cold.
I crept forward further, only another fifteen meters and i would be in position. Minutes pass slowly seeming like hours to my over active mind. Gradually i crawl into position, I look around and watch as the rest if my platoon takes up their positions along the banks beside the Ork encampment.
All in there are maybe fifty men from bravo platoon, mostly just lowly guardsmen, but leading this attack there are some senior guardsmen as well. On the left flank i can see Sgt.Chesham checking his men, making sure kit is secure as we do not want our position to be given away by a loose canteen rattling.On the right flank i can see Sgt.Loyden ushering the last of 3rd squad into their ambush positions, he glances over at me and smiles noticing my nervousness, it's encouraging but i still feel like a scared child.

How long has passed...only ten minutes...I do not know how long i can stand this waiting. Just laying here like a corpse waiting for the sun to rise and our moment to come.
I snap awake, oh no i fell asleep, god i hope nothings gone wrong.I check my watch...thank the Emperor only a minute or so gone.
I hear a noise to my right i pray it is not a Ork, slowly i look over and see it's only guardsmen Holt shifting uncomfortably.

04:45hours only five minutes to go until will launch our ambush on the Ork camp.I can hear them rousing, the guttural barks as they rouse their warriors.The smell is suffocating like decomposing meat and the smell of a thousand unwashed bodies.
I hear a noise ahead, glancing up i see a huge Ork strolling towards me. Oh no, oh no. he will see us and raise the alarm.I start to raise my lasgun ready to fire,20 more paces and he will be on top of us. Out of the corner of my eye i see Loyden wave me down, his signals telling me not too fire. I lower my lasgun and start to pray. The Ork stops a few meters away and starts to sniff the air. I am sure we are going to be discovered, but then he just turns away and heads back into camp.

04:49 hours.I reach down and clip my bayonet onto the lugs of my lasgun, slowly I check my webbing to ensure everything is done up nice and tight.I slide the safety off my gun and prepare to move, all along the line fifty other souls do the same. I mutter a quick prayer for the safe keeping of my soul to the Emperor.

04.50hours With a screaming war cry we launch our ambush on the Orks, I leap up out of my position and start to move forward, all fear is gone I only feel the rush of adrenaline.The Orks are bewildered as we charge out of the forest, most are not armed or even standing.
As I run forward I start to shoot, first to the left taking a greenskin in the jaw and sending it flying backwards into another. Then I notice another groping for a large cumbersome weapon, I drop to the floor, taking aim I start shooting whilst muttering a prayer for accuracy.
Time slows, I watch as my lasrounds buzz lazily through the early morning mist. I count several hits but the beast stays up, frantically I grope for a grenade, priming it,I hurl it towards my foe screaming 'frag out' to warn my comrades. As I watch the grenade slowly tumble through the air I pray, seconds later my prayers are answered by the concussion of the grenade .A bright blossom of smoke and flame flash out followed by mud wood and other unmentionable things.

Getting to my feet I look around, all over the forest floor lay dead and dying Orks. With a scream of triumph I realize I am alive and we have won .
Then slowly I turn and realization slams into me like a grav train. Lying just feet away is my brother. Speared through the side by a huge sword he looks like a stuffed pig, beside him is the body of a massive ork its mouth fused around the barrel of his lasgun. Behind them lie the bodies of more guardsmen, maybe 20 or more, I fall to my knees and start to cry.Why? why must good men die fighting scum like these.
I rouse from my reverie......no today was not a good day, it was just another day in another war.........

The Octavian Regiments

Octavian 43rd Rifles

Home Worlds

The Octavian regiments come from a cluster of planets within the Octavia Cluster to the galactic east.

Towards the core part of the cluster lie several highly fertile worlds.

It is upon these worlds the Men are trained and recruited.

The core worlds of the Octavia Cluster are all under full imperial control. Some of the outer planets are still home to fighting between elements of the Octavian regiments, Fists of Dorn Astartes chapter and the remnants of Waaagh Grotsmasha.

Those planets that are clear of the orks, are fertile lands, populated by large fortified cities and military training complexes. Unlike a lot of imperial worlds though, the ruling elite of Octavia refuse to allow their worlds to descend into the state of hive worlds and manufactories.

Life on Octavia.

The Octavians are a highly martial people. From the age of 10 all children are expected to learn how to handle and fire las weaponry.

At 16 all males are required to enlist in the planetary defence forces for a minimum of 10 years. This can be extended when the home worlds are under threat.

All women are required to be proficient in fire arms, but also to maintain a standing auxiliary of trained medicae personnel. They are also expected to maintain the fertile farmlands.

Any person deemed fit and willing can leave their normal service and volunteer to join one of the Octavian Guard regiments. It is seen as a great honor and much social standing can be gained through the act.

Due to the nature of guard life, there are many orphaned children upon the worlds of the Octavian cluster. On may other worlds these waifs and strays would succumb to life they have been dealt.

But it is not so here.

Using the martial mindset of the people, the scholar Progenium set up several training academies. Constant warfare provides a steady stream of orphans into these academies. Many are tested and fail, these cast offs usually find their way into the factories and workshops of the worlds.

But for those who excel, life in the Octavian Rifles awaits.

The Octavian Rifles

To be a rifle is to be a member of the elite, within the martial lifestyle of Octavia, to be elite is to be admired. For the Rifles are the Militarum Tempestus 'storm troopers'. The best of the best of Octavias Military.

Granted the best armour, training and equipment outside of an Astartes chapter.

From their arrival at a Scholar facility. the orphaned youth of Octavia are taught and reminded about the death of their family. It is used as a conditioning tool, to hone a killing edge to an already lethal weapon.

The regimental Commissars use Vengeance as a motivator and controlling hand over their charges.

Life as a member of the 'Militarum Tempestus' is exactly that. A life long occupation. For those lucky enough to survive into their 50th year, the training academies await. Their skills, knowledge and experience used to teach the new recruits.

Octavian Commissariat

For some of the orphans, losing their families leads them into unswerving acts of fealty. Many are found at places of worship, begging answers from the emperor as to why their families were taken. Some of these poor souls are too broken to help. Others though, seek to avenge their families, to take the fight to the enemies of mankind.

These pious young orphans nearly always end up under the scrutiny of the commissariat.

Some do not meet the exacting standards required and will go on to become the junior officers within the 'Tempestus' regiments. The rest though, go on to study, train and master the teachings of the Emperor.

Eventually when they are deemed ready, they will step out in the long black cloak of a commissar.

Octavian Commissars are somewhat different to most others though. Throughout their training they are taught that the lives of their men are not to be easily wasted.

Discourage from the typical execution mantra of most, Octavian Commissars are taught to use punishment over death.

Minor infringements are dealt with through lashings.

Major infringements are dealt with through court martial.

Cowardice however is dealt with, not through death, but dismissal.

Any soldier, be they an officer or lowly grunt. Convicted of cowardice is summarily dismissed from the Octavian Regiments. Their marks of service are removed through laser surgery. This process leaves a very obvious and very visible mark upon the soldier. On their return to their home world, these men will be treated as outcasts. Most will wander trying to find a way to make amends, the rest end up doing the most menial of tasks, clearing the city sewers, working in the slaughter houses or as servants to one of the higher families.

For the men of the rifles. A simple mantra is also their battle cry.

Blood for my vengeance, vengeance is my blood.

Complete!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/4/600214_md-.jpg

Pte. Jan Drewnowski

Jan Drewnowski (drev’nov’skee) is trooper in second squad, first platoon, A Company of the 1st Battalion, Emperor's Own Sorgrecian Rifles currently seconded to the Persequi Astro Ultio Crusade. Jan (or “Janko” as the is more commonly known) was one of the volunteers taken in the Great Crusade Raising of 904.M41.

While many members of the E.O.S.R. come from Valkava Hive, owing to its immense population, a disproportionate number (per capita) come from outlying rural areas. The inhabitants of these regions are hardy frontier woodsmen sent out to re-claim and re-settle the slightly less devastated regions of Sorgrece V. Janko is the third son of one such family. He grew up in the boreal forests south of the Eastern Wastes on tales of how his great-great-grandfather had allegedly killed a Khorne Berserker with just his woodcutting axe.

When the “living saint” Lord Inquisitor Soulis sounded the call for volunteers offworld on Janko’s 16th birthday (surely a sign from the Emperor), the lad rushed to volunteer. Inured to the rigours of pioneer life, he quickly and comfortably adapted to the Krieg-inspired training regimen aboard the warp-borne ship. After years of drilling, he's been awarded his full private rank and awaits his baptism in battle with grim devotion as the crusade fleet nears its destination ...

Emperor's Own Sorgrecian Rifles (A.K.A. "Little Black Daemons")

BASIC DATA:

Regiment Name: Emperor's Own Sorgrecian Rifles
Homeworld: Sorgrece V
Type: Line Infantry
Role: Light

Garrison/HQ: Spire, Valkava Hive
Nickname (if applicable): "The Little Black Daemons"
Motto: Hosti Acie Nominati (Named by the enemy in battle) 

Authorized Marches: "Pork Beans and Hard Tack" "Emperor With Us"

Commanders 

Colonel-in-Chief: His Grace Viscount Kazimerz von Rovaczev (son of Count Vladimir von Rovaczev, Administratum Ruler of Sorgrece V) 

Commanding Officer: Brigadier Stefan Batory

History

See the history of Sorgrece for more detail. After the Sorgrece system was returned to Imperial control, as part of Operation Redrake in 756.M41, the Sorgrecians worked feverishly to repair their damaged infrastructure and start providing Imperial Guard regiments. By 800 they were sending their regular tithe to the Imperium, plus an additional tithe.

The Emperor’s Own Sorgrecian Rifles were one of the first regiments raised for the reconstituted Sorgrecian tithes. Inducted into the Ordo Hereticus under the auspices of Lord Inquisitor Soulis who sought Sorgrecian troops especially for his operations, the regiment has served with distinction on a dozen worlds.

The regimental motto comes from their first engagement on the death world Salus Secundus. After the battle of the Flavian Crater, a captured heretic asked, "The red coats we know, but who are those little black daemons?", a reference to the Praetorian regiments the E.O.S.R. had reinforced, and the black great coats that the regiment wore after its initial raising.

The E.O.S.R. was completely obliterated circa 900 during the first great chapter of the Persequi Astro Ultio Crusade. When Lord Inquisitor Soulis returned to Sorgrece V for a new raising for the next phase of the crusade in 940, the regiment was reconstituted and its colours retrieved from their place of honour in the Inquisitor's battle barge Justitia et Fides.

Recruitment & Training

Recruitment for members of the Emperor’s Own Sorgrecian Rifles is similar to many other Imperial worlds throughout the Imperium and conscription depends on varying circumstances. Generally, volunteers are preferred and there is rarely a shortage of these. Most who join generally do so out of a sense of duty. Among the nobility of Sorgrece, service in the Imperial Guard is mandatory in order to inherit family title.

Training for the common soldiers is harsh, even by Imperial Guard standards, often compared to the Death Korps of Krieg’s regimen. Devotion to the Emperor, duty, honour, and homeworld, and a spirit of sacrifice, are instilled in new recruits to make certain that they will  not only stand their ground, but charge to the attack in the face of even the most horrific of the Empire’s enemies

In Sorgrecian regiments only the nobility can be commissioned officers. However, the basic infantry officer training is even more brutal than that endured by recruits to the ranks, yielding excellent officers who are especially adept at hand-to-hand combat given that swordsmanship is practised daily among the nobility from childhood. Most young nobles then must serve in Death Rider regiments before receiving their "bars" and be re-mustered to infantry or whatever service branch they are deemed best suited to lead. These recruitment methods result in significant attrition of the artistocracy of Sorgrece, and this is replenished by a generous system of promotion where common soldiers who prove themselves in the Imperial Guard can be granted the titles of noble families that have died out in service to the Emperor.

Battle Style

The Sorgrecian regiments are most out of the ordinary, among Guard regiments, in their emphasis on close combat. Artillery and armour support is used as a means of providing cover to the infantry and rough riders until they can get to grips with the enemy, bathing them in prometheum then charging in. The charge is led by rough riders and specialised grenadier units who are armed with hotshot lasguns and wear carapace armour. Line Infantry like the E.O.S.R. pour into the breaches created by the elite units.

Appearance & Uniform

Guardsmen of the Sorgrecian regiments wear a uniform of green-grey greatcoat, heavy boots and gloves, rebreathers and rounded-bowl helmets over green-grey fatigues, although it is most common to see blue-grey trousers since off-world the distinctive green-grey is difficult to reproduce and trousers are the most oft-replaced part of the uniform.

Sorgrecian grenadier units paint their carapace armour plates and helmets with an “oak leaf” dot-pattern camouflage, with bone-white deaths head rebreathers.

Officers wear more ornate uniforms than the rank-and-file, with polished silver and/or gold cuirasses and helmet visors, as well as dark red uniform cuffs. Medals and other decorations are worn openly.

Such is their abhorrence for the enemies of Mankind, be they mutant, heretic, xenos, or daemon, that all Sorgrecian regiments wear their rebreathers at all times when in combat. This stems from their (possibly superstitious) belief that the wide use of rebreathers after the atomic bombardment of Sorgrece helped them stay free of Chaos taint despite years of occupation. They consider any enemy of the Emperor capable of tainting them, hence the use of rebreathers against xenos and heretics as well. Unlike the Death Korps whom they are often mistaken for, they freely remove their rebreathers when in friendly territory, garrison, on leave, &c.

Weapons & Equipment

The standard issue lasgun in service with regiments of Sorgrece is the no. 52 Lucius Pattern Lasgun. Included with this is an overlong bayonet that can be used for both slashing and stabbing attacks, which are called “swords” by Sorgrecian soldiers. Their ability to be used for slashing has led to one of the famous battle cries used by Sorgrecians: “Hack on!”; their entrenching tools are also sharpened and are used as close-combat weapons.

Given their emphasis on close combat and their religious zeal, Sorgrecian regiments greatly prefer the use of flamers and meltaguns. All noble sons are given power swords at the age of 7 and keep these upon entry into the PDF or Imperial Guard. Heavy weapons concentrated in heavy weapons platoons, leaving the line platoons free to adopt the most aggressive posture circumstances allow.

Sorgrecian regiments do not have access to plasma weaponry which is beyond the current technological capacity of their world.

@Nicodemus - nice! What is the colour you used for your DKoK? It's so muddy looking and bleak!

Thanks!

Well the helmet and greatcoat I start with a base of Tamiya Black Green then layer Tamiya Field Grey. The pants are Medium Blue over a Field Blue base. Gloves and mask are Tamiya Red Brown over Citadel Scorched Earth. I dry brushed Citadel Graveyard Earth on the boots, lower legs and coat bottom for mud.

The Tamiya paints are very matte so I think that helps with the. bleak look.

Archived