IV Legion

War Head

Evening all,

I'd like to start by saying a little about myself... I've stalked the forum for some time checking out other peoples posts without doing my own. I've collected many armies over the 20 years of gaming, but never actually finished any... always getting bored and starting a new one. So I really want to get this one nailed! Without further ado, here is the start to my IV Legion project. 

WIP IV Legion Tacticals... a few close ups below of my current WIP chaps, and at the bottom the whole squad together... one minus a head, and the rest requiring work on bolters, shoulder pad trim and a few touch ups! Any c&c welcome ! Thanks all.

13365906964_c64778f9da_c.jpg
Picture 85 by SultanGrayus, on Flickr

13365711583_6194d43e1a_c.jpg
Picture 67 by SultanGrayus, on Flickr

13365579395_ce0c5e548b_c.jpg
Picture 66 by SultanGrayus, on Flickr

13365664433_7c377c3a63_c.jpg
Picture 87 by SultanGrayus, on Flickr

Piggybacking as it were off of Grotsmasha's post- you're off to a fantastic start with these iron warriors.  Can you expound upon any future projects you might be tackling? 

Make sure to check out some of the Iron Warrior enthusiast's project blogs if you are ever hurting for inspiration- there are quite a few on here!  Enjoy your stay on the B&C and please don't hesitate to ask any questions- we'll be happy to help answer them as best we can!

Thanks for the welcome and the kind comments.

I recently bought a knight model, to go along with 5 cataphractii, 10 MK2, 5 breachers, 5 MK3 missile launcher infantry, a sicaran venator and 2 rapier cannons in their respective boxes!

As I say, I want to complete a squad at a time so fingers crossed will finish these off fairly quickly and crack on to some more...

However, I've been commissioned to paint some Word Bearers - which may distract me slightly! I attach the test model below...

13366316673_19aea7220f_c.jpg
Picture 65 by SultanGrayus, on Flickr

thanks again everyone for the kind words.

Wow, that's a lot of Iron Warriors units you have planned!  Which varient of the rapier weapons battery do you have?

That's a test model? Holy crap that red looks good.  Any chance for a recipe?  

I have two of the laser destroyers, and likely to add another... I love the models! however I'll have to change the crew somewhat as their poses are pretty limited...

Great work! Can you tell how you did the Word Bearer colour scheme?

the word bearer recipe is as follows...

prime black

model air steel

carroborg crimson wash (airbrush)

tamiya clear red (airbrush)

carroborg crimson wash (airbrush)

and oila! add details to taste! it's basically ripped off from the FW scheme with a few minor tweaks.

The IW are awesome. Welcome to the Legion brother, Ave Perturabo!

But Word Bearers, ewww.

thanks a lot mate, really enjoy the other IW blogs on here so keep up the good work !

cheers

I never had much interest in either the Word Bearers or Iron Warriors, but I do like yours smile.png The Breacher Sergeant is especially cool! happy.png

As always, thanks for the kind words guys, it really helps motivate to get these guys finished!

The metal is fairly simple, but a number of different colours involved!

1.) Prime Grey (I use Autotek Grey Primer from ebay - around £5 a can)

2.) Vallejo Model Air Black all over (airbrush)

3.) GW Tin Bitz all over (airbrush)

4.) GW Chainmail thin coat (airbrush)

5.) GW Mithril Silver Zenithal (airbrush)

6.) Wash with GW Agrax Earthshade (non diluted)

7.) Thin washes of GW Leviathan Purple and Biel-tan Green to provide a bit of interest in the metal

8.) Edge highlight armour and rivets in Vallejo Model Air Steel

9.) Gold is purely Vallejo Model Air Gold washed in Agrax Earthshade!

I won't be adding hazard stripes until I get Extermination which will provide the reasoning behind it all and any relevance to each marine (e.g. honorifics for a heroic deed)

Sweet, how's the model in person?  I felt his arms sat a bit high compared to his supposed neck line, but I guess having it in hand you could easily tell is if that's fixable or not an issue :)

Look forward to seeing that one beside your other marines :)

Sweet, how's the model in person? I felt his arms sat a bit high compared to his supposed neck line, but I guess having it in hand you could easily tell is if that's fixable or not an issue smile.png

Look forward to seeing that one beside your other marines smile.png

thank you. the model is very nicely cast. I know what you mean about the arms being high, but as you say it is fixable with a slight shaving of the "plug" which sits in the shoulder joint.

Hope to get him halfway done by end of tonight :)

Still doing the legion proud I see. That's a great start on the praetor. I'll probably be picking that model up myself, but use it as a techmarine. I have to say however that your breacher sergeant is fantastic. I'll be stealing that idea if you dont mind. Perhaps I'll even name him after you if you want?

Anyways keep up the good work, Ave Perturabo!

Archived