Hey guys,

I've been thinking about building a list that's based around 10 man squads of footslogging GH with a WG Terminator to give them a bit of extra meat, a tanking guy, and also a power axe. Additionally, I plan on adding cyclone termines to my Long Fang packs.

I'm trying to build a more fluffy list (with each termie being a little hero), but I'd like it to be a bit more solid than just pure fluff.

This could work. In early 6th I was running a similar list, something like 4 packs of Hunters, 2 Fangs (3 plamsa cannon, 2 missile launcher and missile launcher, 2 heavy bolters,2 lascannon) and a pair of Rune Priests. There may have been a dreadnought or two, can't remember. I didn't have termies, just PA WG pack leaders with storm bolter/combi weapons. Didn't lose with that list at my old GW. One thing that can really make or break a list like that is the size of board. We used to play on 4x4 boards, and that worked fine. But on a 6x4 (which I play on these days), I've been leaning back towards needing some form of transport to get your squads in range of their targets.

Lone Wolves may be a good idea. I've seen several people advocate them on this forum, but I've never used them myself (rarely have spare elites slots).

For five points it might not be a bad investment to put a combi-weapon on those TDA.... just as a thought.

Saga of the Hunter on a wolf priest, combined with a large unit of bloodclaws and a rune priest casting stormcaller from the 2nd row makes an excellent walking shield. Alternatively.... a thunderwolf rider with SotH could do the job cheaper with a unit of fenrisian wolves. The fury of the storm incarnate.

Id suggest backing it up with some landspeeder typhoons, or MM+HF tornados, to give the army a bit more speed. And Wolf Scouts, with plasma, to open up some artillery models in the backfield.

Alternatively.... a thunderwolf rider with SotH could do the job cheaper with a unit of fenrisian wolves. The fury of the storm incarnate.

GM, don't forget that SotH is "infantry-only" so isn't available for anyone on a Thunderwolf Mount (which changes their unit type to Cavalry).

V

To the OP, regarding footslogging, I'm going to provide one paragraph on the issue from my Guide:

Another point that I would like to highlight is the importance of mobility. A casual inspection of the Mission scenarios once again should demonstrate how critical mobility is in the game: 5 of the 6 standard Missions require each player to move his forces to specific points on the battlefield to seize and control objectives. Mobility is certainly necessary in an offensive plan, in which our forces speed forward to 1) secure mission objectives, 2) to deploy within rapid fire range of the enemy, or 3) to come to grips with the enemy in close combat (an assault). However, mobility is also necessary, albeit to a lesser degree, in the defense, where we will need mobile forces to reinforce threatened areas in our defensive lines. Mobility is also helpful in the defense in enabling forces to move forward or laterally out of our deployment zone to secure a piece of advantageous terrain, (such as a wooded hilltop, with good fields of fire, upon which we can establish a base of fire), or to allow reserves to exploit opportunities for advantage, or outflankers to conduct a spoiling attack. Even with the option in 6th edition for infantry forces to ‘Run’, an entirely “foot-slogging” force may well have a very difficult time under most scenarios.

If you're interested in more, click the link in my signature, below.

V

don't do it ! for the same cost of 2x grey hunters you can get a drop pod and not loose half your pack walking across the board before they can do anything.  why would you do it? we live in an age were scatter laser twin linked sun cannons, white scar grav biker squads riptides ect can easily kill a whole squad of grey hunters a turn and do it fairly easily, all with better mobility. you cant spend a turn or 2 walking up the board doing nothing  

Tried this and it works only when you aren't going up against ranged heavy armies like daemons. But when it's against tau your best option really is to get into the fray as quickly as possible. My problem with drop pods is I tend to just drop them half way across the board because if I drop them close to the enemy lines I feel like I'm giving away first blood wrapped in a bow. Have been thinking about trying a Rhino list again which I haven't done since the start of 6th edition just so you can drop them off in the middle by turn two roughly.

Even in 5th ed, if your opponent got first turn, army's like guard and necrons could render half a dozen rhinos worthless. And that was the mech edition. These days it's even worse. Drop pods have always worked well with the currant space wolves codex.

Tried this and it works only when you aren't going up against ranged heavy armies like daemons. But when it's against tau your best option really is to get into the fray as quickly as possible. My problem with drop pods is I tend to just drop them half way across the board because if I drop them close to the enemy lines I feel like I'm giving away first blood wrapped in a bow. Have been thinking about trying a Rhino list again which I haven't done since the start of 6th edition just so you can drop them off in the middle by turn two roughly.

I was exactly the same but then realised that if I'm giving up first blood and it is deciding the outcome, then it is a quite well balanced fight. Now I place the pods more aggressively and to distract/break firing lanes while the Rhinos truck up. Plus your pod units could nab first blood for you so that's a bonus

Although you don't want to give it up on purpose, worrying about First Blood shouldn't be a huge consideration compared against mission objectives, and playing in a smart way to achieve those.  I recommend against being excessively risk averse in this regard.  Additionally, it is just as likely that a well-placed Drop Pod with the right weaponry on board will nab you that First Blood (melta pack or melta dreadnought against juicy vehicle, for example).  

V

if you aren't facing MeC or Guard it's doable (mostly because helldrakes, basilisks, colossus, AP3 in general and ignoring cover saves in particular)

For a general purpose list I have achieved very good results with a mix of thunderwoles, rhinos and droppods list.

I guess that's true especially if it delays them from moving forward for a turn it gives my twc a chance to run into the middle to grab the objective. My problem may be there aren't a great variety of armies for me to play against right now so my experience is still quite limited.

Tdawgs are best not used as tanks against shooting attacks.

aye although this used to be a decent tactic, its not hugely great against anything that is mobile enough to reposition so that your TDAWG isnt taking the first few shots. Or any lists taking heavy amounts of AP2 (plasma heavy lists for example)

Where i have seen them used to better effect is in CC, where TDA combined with a wolf banner can tank serious amounts of wounds. Kind of dependant on challenges though...damned challenges...

Although you don't want to give it up on purpose, worrying about First Blood shouldn't be a huge consideration compared against mission objectives, and playing in a smart way to achieve those.  I recommend against being excessively risk averse in this regard.  Additionally, it is just as likely that a well-placed Drop Pod with the right weaponry on board will nab you that First Blood (melta pack or melta dreadnought against juicy vehicle, for example).  

V

Indeed, if your DPing SW force isnt getting first blood, thats a definite problem. 95% of games should have that point in your hands, not your enemies.

The reason I say that TDAWGs make poor ranged tanks is that most of the time it is preferable to lose 2 vanilla grey hunters rather than your TDAWG. The TDAWG has ld9, a power weapon or better, and may have an unspent combi weapon or heavy weapon. Generally the TDAWG is too valuable to use as ablative wounds, imo. The vanilla GHs should be acting as ablative wounds for the TDAWG in many situations !

But yeah DanPesci, they can be great tanks against ap3+ overwatch or melee attacks when that banner has been popped! I would add that they can be effective tanks in a mixed armour WG pack, for the squishier but more offensive power armour + axe wolf guard.

Its all in how you equip them- a bare bones WG adds his points in bolter-style dakka to the squad and tanks effectively.

Start handing out toys... and you want him to be able to use them, eh?

Archived