The Memoria Crusade (ETL Vow 1 complete)

mytimeprez

I'd also say, that you should go with the sword banner. It also opens cool possibilities of employing Dark Angels' bits in your army: just fill in the 'broken' part, redo the sword as it is supposed to be - choppy and slicey.

You should just bear in mind one thing - if you intend to paint little crusader seals with your badge on power armour, such a small Maltese cross will be very, very hard to paint (but maybe that's not your concern).

The Sword banner, like you made it on paper, IS AN HERETIK BADGE! (GREY KNIGHTS Spotted!)

But the colors of the one with the sword is cool. Try with a Black Cross on it instead of the sword maybe? (or an axe or anything you can easily reproduce on your model then)

That looks pretty good. I think Dono's suggestion of a rock or something to stick the sword in as a symbol for relics to be recovered was quite interesting. It would be easy to implement in this badge if you like it.

yeah... planting the sword on a stone thing could be done with Photoshop... but try to do that in painting little Crusader badges msn-wink.gif

My suggestion is he could do the relic sword design (embedded on stone) on the Crusade Badge for Vehicles and do a really impressive looking one for his Banner...

for little infantry badges he could do the sword sort of as a little cross thing... coz' I know how hard it is to paint little details on little plastic soldiers.

Actually, it's easier to paint a sword ending in a rock "blob", than trying to paint your sword just straight and just the right length. But I agree in general: The badge on infantry should be quite simplified, then built upon as it goes on vehicles and crusade (chapter) banners.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share what I have been working on the past couple of days....

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee474/mytimeprez/6FEBBA20-38A4-4349-8FCA-B56E79633834.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee474/mytimeprez/882F01F0-2119-4C14-8A23-6580696038F5.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee474/mytimeprez/7984861A-4582-4D0F-8F33-8E678EBCC7A8.jpg

Those are amazing. I'm not a fan of the Centurions, but yours look great. Tabards can go a long way. (Technically, they're not tabards, but 'loincloth' sounds silly.) thumbsup.gif

Stick with the half length tabard/loincloths, if you go full length you'll cover up the chest detail and might make them look way more bulky than they already are as a standard kit. They look awesome the way they are.

Chains, on the tabard they look great(might steal that myself) on the fist maybe not so much. I'll be using small shields like this one from bitsandkits, on the right with the rivets/studs in each corner with a plain surface. You could make cheap ones made from plasticard tube, cut to fit your desired size. 

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/bretonnia-champion-icons-x3-p-3373.html

Still looks good, might be better once painted.

Thanks Eberious I was trying out the chains because it's kind of iconic with the Templars chaining their weapons to themselves. I may leave it on the one guy and not do it on the other two. I like the shield idea, I have some out of Grey Knight kits that I could probably use.

Totally understand the iconic part, it might just be the angle of the pic. Are you able to take another pic around the other side?

You know, and I'm sorry(as it feels like I'm messing you now), but the more I study the chain on the fist the more I like it... but yeah leave it on there.  ..Maybe it was just a gut reaction...brain is fried!!

I would suggest you keep the chains, it helps add a more detailed look to the arm, as for the tabards I am biased with the half look. Very nice looking centurions, you have helped to convince me to pick some up at some point.

Thanks everyone I will post some more pics when I get the other one built. Hopefully I will be able to vow these guys for ETL. Speaking of which can I base coat them or do I have to leave them raw to vow?

Marshal I like your idea of cutting the fingers I might have to borrow that

I don't why it has taken so long to get to your thread, but your crusade is very inspiring. I am especially impressed by your Centurions and really think that I'm going to have to get a box of these for my assault (i.e. grav monsters) centurions.

Well done!

Hmm..seeing the grey knight heads makes me wonder what they'd look like with the bretonia style head (like the FW Black Templar Ven dread).  Has anyone tried one of those on the centurions?

Tabard work is inspiring.  I might have to get some of these...ive been trying to be nice in my local Gaming group...but now the necron player is bringing four night scythes....so the nice gauntlets come off, and the chains bind his death to me.

doh... I was gonna do nearly the exact same thing... tongue.png

except cut grooves to the hands to make it look like they have fully functional fingers and not fore-finger, thumb, slab...

Whats the matter, don't like the mitten look ;) :lol:

I don't why it has taken so long to get to your thread, but your crusade is very inspiring. I am especially impressed by your Centurions and really think that I'm going to have to get a box of these for my assault (i.e. grav monsters) centurions.

Well done!

Yeah I echo Honda, Not sure how I didn't see this before, but I like your fluff, very different but still well within the realm of something Templars would do. Only one small quibble. You mentioned that the Crusade was originally declared by Marshal Ricard, but only the High Marshal has the power to declare a crusade. Also is this the same Ricard who participated in the Armageddon crusade from Helsreach?

The Centurions look great! I hadn't thought of using GK termie heads for them, that's a good idea. Looking forward to seeing more!

.ive been trying to be nice in my local Gaming group...but now the

necron player is bringing four night scythes....so the nice gauntlets

come off, and the chains bind his death to me.

Templars are not "nice", we are zealous, to the detriment of all who oppose us in our quest to implement the Emperor's vision for humanity.

If you want nice, maybe you should check out those guys who walked away from the fight at Helsreach. :P

Archived