The Cadian 171st regiment WIP - Full Regiment shoot P7.

scatmandoo

• 2 weeks later...

Well in my opinion the Valk is 99% done. if anyone has any pointers feel free. and in wait of that i won't post in the treads and thrusters just as yet. 

need to fluff out the back story to this battered jet now. I think it should be a Jet recovered from the remains of the 181st drop troop regiment of the Elysians and slowly bringing it back to life and servicability. will fluff it out over the next couple days. 

Anyhow, here are some pics (and i will get better in daylight), 

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_221939.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222040.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222101.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222136.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222210.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222227.jpg

C & C always welcome. 

Definitely do some paint chipping especially along the wing edges and front of the fuselage.

Have a look at mine for ideas ;)

Definitely do some paint chipping especially along the wing edges and front of the fuselage.

Have a look at mine for ideas ;)

How did you do them?

I gave drybrushed the rust paint from gw on all the leading edges and along the underside.

Drybrush matt black starting from the wing edge and drawing it in one smooth motion in the direction you want (ie towards the rear to simulate flight wear). Repeat with slightly less boltgun metal then again with less chainmail.

For the dirt I use burnt umber oil paint. Use a normal brush to paint a line of umber along a hinge or armour joint. Allow to dry off for about an hour then, using a drybrush, again draw the brush in the direction you want the dirt to flow. The oil paint takes a lot longer to dry and mine has been known to still be wet after a couple of days but using a hairdryer can speed it up.

You can try the same thing with agrax earthshade but you will need to be quicker.

Oil paint is the way to go. A normal sized tube is not expensive and will last for ages. I have hardly used the paint in the screw on cap yet ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009IL2HI?pc_redir=1408655172&robot_redir=1 this is the sort of stuff I mean. I got mine cheaper from a crafts and hobbies store.

I learned about the oil paint technique from the FW masterclass book so it must be good :)

It is best to buy a standard (no. 1 or 2) and dry brush only for the oil paint. They don't have to be high spec but it is better to keep oil and acrylics separate. You will need turpentine to clean the brushes too.

I find the chainmail gives a final bright edge to the wear. Maybe my boltgun (Vallejo) is a little darker than GW...

You can do a couple of things more.. :)

use black ink/Nuln wash in the panel lines

One engine has a smoke stain behind it but the left hand one does not

The nose needs some more paint damage with the black/boltgun/chainmail method.

Tidy up the landing gear where the grey paint has spread.

The left hand engine has green paint in the exhaust.

seems picky but it will improve the overall look.

That is the good thing about taking photos, you see your model a lot more critically and I still see things on photos of my models where I missed bits ;)

You can do a couple of things more.. :)

use black ink/Nuln wash in the panel lines

One engine has a smoke stain behind it but the left hand one does not

The nose needs some more paint damage with the black/boltgun/chainmail method.

Tidy up the landing gear where the grey paint has spread.

The left hand engine has green paint in the exhaust.

seems picky but it will improve the overall look.

That is the good thing about taking photos, you see your model a lot more critically and I still see things on photos of my models where I missed bits ;)

Thanks Elmo I will get onto those things tonight hopefully. I do appreciate the commemts.

Yeah it's coming along well, it looks like it's been flying through some sand storms or something like that so I'm looking forward to seeing it once you've done some more :)

I'm starting to think that a nice weathering tutorial is needed, I'll see what is already about on the B&C when I have some spare time and go from there.

Yeah it's coming along well, it looks like it's been flying through some sand storms or something like that so I'm looking forward to seeing it once you've done some more :)

I'm starting to think that a nice weathering tutorial is needed, I'll see what is already about on the B&C when I have some spare time and go from there.

Cheers for the comments. I am looking forward to getting it done and getting the back story fluffed out. Should be good!

Here is a draft of the aircraft story.

The Valkyrie XR771 ‘Toleration’ has a decorated past, and is now classed as a relic in its own right deserving much attention.

It was manufactured on the industrial world of Voss, and had served with distinction on the Emperor Class Battleship – Divine Right, claiming many enemy aircraft kills dispite only having a multi-laser so rightly the tech adepts at the time fitted the craft with a Lascannon that pleased the machine spirit.

Recent history had it assigned to the Elysian 181st drop troop regiment who were a battle ready, fully equipped and experienced regiment. During the ill fated attack on Kastorel-Novem it was one of the very few Valkyrie’s to make it off the planet and survive the tactical withdrawal.

With the Regiment having to be re-equipped due to the horrendous casualties sustained, the survivors of which going to the 73rd Haraconi Warhawks who were already equipped with the correct serviceable equipment, the ‘Toleration’ fell off the radar and into one of the imperium’s storage facilities.

With the re-supply and recruitment of the newly resurrected Cadian 171stRegiment, the equipment available was scarce considering their quick deployment to deal with threats. In light of that their tech adepts had been tasked with bringing the war relic XR771 ‘Toleration’, back into service and to face the enemies of the imperium again.

Due to the condition it was found in the ‘Toleration’ has been given many new panels to try and get it to a standard fit for service. Unfortunately they were not able to carry out all necessary repairs due to a mobilisation of the regiment. This meant the craft has had to pressed into service in a heavily faded camo scheme, heavy weathering requiring a re-skin ideally, and even the right hand engine requiring filling of oil after every flight due to very high consumption rates and turbine damage thus causing further damage itself (the Tech Priests do not even know how the engine is even running at 99% power still).

Due to the limited stock of aircraft in the 171st the ‘Toleration’ has been pressed into a SAR and SF roles. To help with this it has been fitted with Multiple Rocket Pods, and a ramp gunner for suppression in its casevac role keeping the side doors free for use. So far the ‘Toleration’ has performed admirably, and bar the usual maintenance has had higher serviceability rates than anything else in the regiment’s inventory.

Let me know what you think

Archived