Numerican Night Watch (PLOG)

march10k

So when I heard that there was going to be a separate stormtrooper codex, I deduced new models, and with GW's recent record of flops, I decided to get some kasrkin, just in case they were taken off sale in favor of the new plastics. Sure enough, the plastics materialized, I don't like them, and they sunsetted the kasrkin and the old metal astronauts stormtroopers. Nevertheless, I think the stormtrooper codex has merit, and I'm leaning towards incorporating (scoring) allied stormtroopers, as opposed to organic (non-scoring elites choice) stormtroopers from the forthcoming IG codex into my new list. So I'd better get painting. I originally bought two boxes of ten, plus six blisters of meltas and plasmas. I think I'll field three units of five with dual melta, plus an HQ with four plasmas, mounted in valkyries in accordance with the air cav formation. Of course, that means I need to acquire two more sergeants, not to mention four valkyries, but that can come later...In the meantime, I'd better get painting!

Everyone's favorite, primed metal:

sml_gallery_13203_9402_269429.jpg

Some WIP:

med_gallery_13203_9402_369107.jpg

WIP bases:

med_gallery_13203_9402_555438.jpg

The model I'm halfway done with:

med_gallery_13203_9402_116517.jpg

And the first two finished models:

gallery_13203_9402_405572.jpg

Maybe when I'm finished, I'll freehand the cadian gate onto one shoulder and a Japanese/Chinese number on the opposite side...I think maybe six...

Good work so far.

The kanji for six would look rather similar to the Cadian gate...too similar?

Could I suggest four or nine? Unlucky numbers but more unique shapes and (like carrying a bullet with your name carved on it) if you carry such an icon yourself, haven't you already mastered your bad luck?

Hmmm....I hadn't considered  the similarity...five is pretty unique, but seems vaguely chaos-y.  Maybe four is the answer...or, similar to four, I could go straight to alcohol, lol

/edit/

I was actually thinking of roppongi when I thought six...roku...hon...ki...also very similar...freudian slip?

None of that xenos loving here, lest your fledging Stormie force get purged before it has even begun! :P What about 1 to 3? A simple design but effective I feel, plus the meaning should be clear enough to all?

I'm looking forward to seeing squads of Stormies painted up :)

Thanks, I'm one half-painted model short of finishing a five man squad, and then there'll be more pics...I also bought the first of four valkyries today (for the air cav formation), that'll be next, before more glory boys.  I'm kinda short on sergeants ATM, to be honest...only have two, need four for the formation.

Ah, sweet success! Ok, I finished the first squad. To review, the short term goal is a command squad with four plasma guns and three line squads with two meltas each, plus four valkyries, enabling me to field the air assault formation. Here's the first line squad:

gallery_13203_9402_330767.jpg

And I picked up the first valkyrie at my FLGS last night. I've basecoated the part shown (missing the engines and cockpit) and started the detailing of one wing upper surface. I'm not really decided on any markings, other than some freehand art under the cockpit.

med_gallery_13203_9402_479774.jpg

TYVM...well, one engine is done, but I'll wait till the second one is mounted before I post a new pic.  I still have the intakes to do, too, as well as the cockpit, weapons, and landing gear...argh, this is going to take 10 days to do one model!

Yeah, I really like them...I'm excited to field four of them, but I dread assembling and then transporting four of them.  The painting, I don't mind.  Except that I'm impatient to get them on the table, and I don't play with unpainted models, lol.

So I'm nearing the end of a semester of grad school, cutting into my painting time...Not much progress to report. The engines are done, but the front bits are not glued on, I don't know yet if it's safe to put them on before the cockpit. Speaking of which, the interior of the cockpit is mostly done, but nothing is glued together yet except for the guy sitting in the back and his console...so...a long way to go.

gallery_13203_9402_296277.jpg

Well, I'm at the point of putting the exterior trim on the cockpit, then I need to do the canopies and mount it and the engine intakes...then the multilaser and targeter on the sides, then the hellstrike missiles and landing gear under the wings...then done. Is a month for one model unreasonable, lol?

med_gallery_13203_9402_478819.jpg

Thanks, CM!

Unfortunately, it turns out that the guy in front (and I swear those are the arms in the assembly diagram) doesn't fit under the canopy!  Therefore, the nearer arm on that guy has been butchered, shaving off the skull on his shoulder and amputating at the wrist...he barely fits now, and you can't really tell that there's no hand, since the arm is now angled down where the hand would be out of sight.  I hope I don't run into the same problem with the rear canopy!  Anyway, the canopies have a bit of the frame molded in, and that clear plastic is a beast to get paint to stick.  Even after washing it, I had to try a few different "primers" before I found something that didn't bead up.  

Great PLOG, sir! You're basically doing what I want to do. I never thought I'd "sell out" and jump onto the flyer bandwagon but I love storm troopers, love the new Scion models, and love the Airborne Assault Formation. I'll be doing mine in Inquisition colours though. I'll be following this PLOG with interest.

Looks great so far. I echo the comments of others, the colour scheme on the stormies looks really good. Simple but effective.

speaking of problems with the kit...is there supposed to be a gap between the front and rear canopies?

There's a small piece that you fit in between them. It's a little fiddly to do though. The other problem is the canopy isn't a great fit to the cockpit but it's not glaringly obvious fortunately.

Ah, I do see it...but I can't find anything like it on the sprue. Very nice paint job, by the way. I like how there's real contrast between the green paint and the metalic bits.

Anyway, with the forward edge of the rear canopy painted to match the rest of the canopy frame, you don't notice that there's anything wrong...and, speaking of which, new pics:

gallery_13203_9402_203845.jpg

and

gallery_13203_9402_363443.jpg

So now, I'm down to painting the other intake, the missiles, and the landing gear...almost done!!!

Archived