Inqu][sitor

lamby

Thanks Kolgrim and Majkhel!

P][P the Second or The Curious Case of Oils: Part the Third

Still struggling up the learning curves of oils on miniatures...

Here’s just a few things I’ve discovered in my plodding journey:

1. White spirits can strip acrylic paint off a mini, whether you’ve varnished it or not, right down to their little grey bones...

2. White spirits are not the ideal medium for making washes - I’ve found some dark pigments like purple will fade drastically as they dry and even change colour... so if anyone has any better oil wash medium suggestions, please help?

3. Some oil colours don’t like other oil colours - for example, I’ve tried laying down purple and white dots and blending them with a soft dry brush - as per YouTube instructions- but the purple just dominates the white and instead of a nice white-to-purple gradient, I get a pink mess...

But enough with the oil paint negatives; onto positives!

I was struggling to get a decent transition of light Vallejo Model Air Sand (on a side note, this is an absolute nightmare of a colour to use - one of the few times Vallejo paints have failed me...) to shadows of Vallejo Armour Brown, to whit:

img_7344.jpg

So after failing magnificently to use purple oil over GW Dwarf Flesh (on the skin... ug what a mess...) -I threw caution to the wind and attacked those streaky shadows with some ‘dry’ purple oil technique, the end result being thus:

img_7368.jpg

Mmm blendy with a hint of painterly - is that what they call Blanchitsu?!?

It’s not Golden Demon standard but I think in this case the oils were completely successful.

My journey continues...
Edited by lamby

• 3 weeks later...

The biker girl appreciates your heroic struggle with oil paints, she told me. :happy.:

Haha thanks Kyknos!

83522_1269978247.jpg

+++

I've heard them say she lost her arm in the Witch War of '93; and the gold hand was a Witch's Gift; and the face on her shoulder is the face of her sister, the Witch who made the hand...

Is this truth? I don't give a damn; she can smell a Witch from one hundred paces, and kill them dead with her rifle from a thousand.

That's good enough for me.

Excerpt from How Not To Fight A Witch War: Memories of '93 by Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter Tessene

+++

First member of the Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter retinue - the Witch Hunter Scout Aanika Gold-Hand:

img_7754-2.jpg

img_7757-1.jpg

img_7756-1.jpg

img_7759-1.jpg

img_7758-1.jpg

img_7755-1.jpg
Edited by lamby

83522_1269978247.jpg

+++

In the midst of the Witch War of '93, I found her on the Crucifixion Road; she had been abused by Witches, captured and crucified as a collaborator, and blinded with fire.

As I passed her on hanging on her cross of Penitence, I felt the dark iron of her mind, now hard and closed, a weapon forged in adversity and pain - no Witch would use her ever again.

I cut her down myself, sponsored her new eyes and Assassinorum training. I gifted her the sword she calls Loss of Innocence; she has slain many Witches for me, and many more for herself.

To this day, I still don't know her name.

Excerpt from How Not To Fight A Witch War: Memories of '93 by Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter Tessene

+++

Second member of the Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter retinue - the Sword Sister:

img_7748-1.jpg

img_7753-1.jpg

img_7752-1.jpg

img_7751-1.jpg

img_7750-1.jpg

img_7749-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by lamby

Excellent work on the Sword Sister's model, and the backstory you wrote for her.

Thanks Bjorn!

As I've said elsewhere, these are incredible! :smile.:

As always, much appreciated KS!

The Sword Sister slays!!! 

Thanks Kyknos!

83522_1269978247.jpg

+++

Mas Edini.

I met her during the '94 mop up following the Witch War of the year before, where she was working as an Arbites investigator.

She could play a suspect like a symphony, make them sing and dance to her tune like none I had ever seen.

She loved firepower and fire whisky, and that old leather coat.

And what is with that skull?

Excerpt from How Not To Fight A Witch War: Memories of '93 by Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter Tessene

+++

Third member of the Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter retinue - Interrogator Mas Edini:

img_7742.jpg

img_7747.jpg

img_7746.jpg

img_7745.jpg

img_7743.jpg

img_7744.jpg
Edited by lamby

Excellent work on the Interrogator.

Lamby, your stuff is inspirational. All your latest witch hunter minis have got me champing at the bit to do my own. I tip my hat to you, great work.

Thank you both!

W][tch Hunters - The Gladiatrix

83522_1269978247.jpg
+++

Yet another lost soul I found in the brutal aftermath of the '93 Witch War.

With everyone she once loved dead or taken by Witches, she'd fled the war front with a million other refugees along the Crucifixion Road, until she found herself starving to death in the once majestic City of Saints, now ruined by an exchange of warp sorcery and Imperial nukes.

Amongst glass craters and radioactive debris, crime lords raised empires in those lawless days; the gladiator pits provided food for those willing to fight against captured Witch Kin and warp things. She'd entered the Pits with nothing to live for and nothing to lose.

At the sight of her first chained Witch, her anger and pain and self-pity ignited into burning rage, and she tore out the Witch's throat with her teeth.

I found her a year later, revelling in blood and slaughter; </em><em>another hate-wrought weapon, forged to kill Witches.

How could I not take her in?

+++

Fourth member of the Witch Hunters retinue - The Gladiatrix:

img_7741.jpg

img_7740.jpg

img_7739.jpg

img_7738.jpg

img_7737.jpg

img_7736.jpg

img_7735.jpg
Edited by lamby

Oooooooh, you have painted the Gladiatrix with closed eyes!

Sucha a lovely touch that changed the whole perception of her stance! Before that she might be considered static. Now she seems poised, boiling with total awareness and all her other senses outstretched. The open left hand in this context seems taunt.

FAN-TAS-TIC! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: other girls are also beautiful, but this one gained sooooo much additional life with painting I had to write some praise :)

Edited by Majkhel

Oooooooh, you have painted the Gladiatrix with closed eyes!

Sucha a lovely touch that changed the whole perception of her stance! Before that she might be considered static. Now she seems poised, boiling with total awareness and all her other senses outstretched. The open left hand in this context seems taunt.

FAN-TAS-TIC! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: other girls are also beautiful, but this one gained sooooo much additional life with painting I had to write some praise :smile.:

Your skills in modeling, painting, and writing (re: the backstories you wrote for each Inquisitorial acolyte) are all excellent. I'm impressed with the results of your efforts.

Well I'm humbled - thanks so much, Majkhel and Bjorn!

W][tch Hunters - Harley Angel

83522_1269978247.jpg

+++

Recon Sniper Harlequin Saria Dannen found that hunk-o-junk when she took cover during the burning of Angel City, as the Witches unleashed their giga-level rage in those first savage days of '93. 

Trapped alone behind enemy lines by the frantic skirmishing withdrawal of her Imperial Guard unit, she rebuilt the machine quietly by day, while just as quietly at night she hunted Witch Kin, who mistakenly believed they were the hunters. 

Almost a year later - after my Ordo had finally got it's collective sh*t together and started co-ordinated cleansing operations - we rolled into Angel City at the forefront of Imperial Guard heavy fighting-armour and half a million infantry, with Witch Hunter teams to chain the Witches while while the Guard scorched the Kin nests.

Amidst this chaos, we found her blocking the road, astride the ancient bike with her sniper rifle resting on her knee, cigar stub in her mouth.

"Hey there," she drawled as our column rolled to a stop. "What the feth kept you lot?"

And the legend of Harley Angel was born.

Excerpt from How Not To Fight A Witch War: Memories of '93 by Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter Tessene

+++

Fifth - and possibly the most anticipated - member of the Witch Hunter retinue - Harley Angel:

img_7777.jpg

img_7778.jpg

img_7779.jpg

img_7780.jpg

img_7781.jpg

img_7782.jpg

And just for fun, here's the reference image again - 'Commando' by Jomaro Kindred:

harley.jpg

Absolutely sublime I’ve been following your thread for a couple years and everything you produce is a masterpiece

Thanks Rastamarine!

That's magnificent! I really love the blending on the cloak, and the pose is just perfect.

Thanks Evil Eye!

I like the Gladiatrix, it a crazy cool conversion, but idk, maybe it´s the oil paints, she kind of looks like she has too much make-up on or so, you don´t see much of her facial features... :huh.:

Thanks Kyknos!

Actually, there no oils on her face, it's just bad painting with acrylics on my behalf - her head is a Daemonette head and the face is very featureless, but I ended up piling on too much paint and after 4 attempts I just decided to move on.

83522_1269978247.jpg

+++

The Witch War of '93 - a million dead by Witch fire or Crucifixion - that's all on me.

My team and I - my previous team, formed 30 years before - went in to Angel City to chain a single Witch, and royally fethed it up.

I still hear my people scream as they burned down to the bones.

Their deaths saved me, though I barely survived - and in doing so ignited a Witch uprising that flared into a war.

To avoid censure by the Ordos, or Crucifixion by the angry population of a burning world, built a new team of humans broken by Witches, forged into hunters by their own pain, and together we cleaned up the mess I'd made.

Thus instead of righteous punishment, I live to hunt another day.

Witches beware.

Final passage of How Not To Fight A Witch War: Memories of '93 by Ordo Hereticus Witch Hunter Tessene

+++

Witch Hunter Inquisitor Tessene:

img_7760.jpg

img_7765.jpg

img_7763.jpg

img_7761.jpg

img_7764.jpg

img_7762.jpg
Edited by lamby

This is excellent! It's nice to see a mini that doesn't automatically jump down your throat as a member of the inquisition, if you follow me? Even my own inq28 conversions are more kitted up for war than the clandestine operations they actually undertake! Your witch hunters have that perfect blend of power and subtlety that makes them fit. They seem like a proper guerrilla band.

Why is the Inquisitor wearing a collar? Is it an item of jewelry? A bomb collar, which a Lord or Lady Inquisitor put on her when she undertook a vow to clean up her own mess, to punish her if she breaks that vow and prevent her from becoming a radical or rogue? Is she a psyker or a blank, and the collar a means to suppress her powers, so she may conceal her presence from enemy witches? Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

• 3 weeks later...