New wolf brother

Chaplain Otho

Hail brothes

I've been playing 40k about 5 years but have been in the hobby since the launch of Necromunda. I've been playing Tyranids as my main army recently but I'm just getting into Space wolves. Definitely very cool but I also like the idea of rock hard characters and tough independent units.

I have some models about 30 grey hunters, 10 bloodclaws and some terminators. I also have some raven guard who will be standing in as auxiliary wolves until I have bought some more models.

I read a lot of tactics and want to sue an alpha strike army that will drop in kill the enemy and return to the feasting hall for ale and cake. I'm fed up with all this going second and jump troops onto objectives games that the xenos employ.

Questions though.  

1. I want to run drop pods are dreadnoughts worth taking?

2. Is it worth taking a drop pod for my long fangs to help get other units into the fray quicker by dropping the pod empty in the second wave.

3.Is a wolf priest with preferred enemy useful for a drop pod list or will a wolf standard do the same job for cheaper,

4. Is MotW worth taking on drop pod wolves?

5. how many combi plasma, combi melta on wolf guard do I need to take to take down a wraithknights/Riptide/Centurion squad/Kairos,

6. Do any special characters work especially well with a drop pod list.  

Thanks brothers,

Greetings brother, and welcome to The Fang.

If it's an Alpha Strike army  you're after, you could certainly do worse than the Space Wolves. Here's my 2 cents on your questions;

1. I want to run drop pods are dreadnoughts worth taking?

On their own, not really. In an all-pod list, go for it. Most people will tell you Dreadnoughts perform better as a static firebase--which they certainly do well, but with our Wolf Tooth Necklace wargear they fare a bit better in assault than your run-of-the-mill Dread; and dropping 3 of them in your opponents face turn one creates a problem they HAVE to deal with immediately.

2. Is it worth taking a drop pod for my long fangs to help get other units into the fray quicker by dropping the pod empty in the second wave.

If you really want to get everyone into battle ASAP, then go for it. Just remember it's gonna eat into your army total a bit.

3.Is a wolf priest with preferred enemy useful for a drop pod list or will a wolf standard do the same job for cheaper,

Wolf Standard only works in the Assault Phase, and only for one turn per game; it also lets you reroll 1s on everything in that phase including armour saves, overwatch, Mark of the Wulfen D6 etc. Wolf Priests are still good, but perhaps not with a GH pod squad.

4. Is MotW worth taking on drop pod wolves?

MotW is pretty much always worth taking all the time, pods or not. It can be such a huge force multiplier in close combat. Unless you plan on camping your GH backfield in a Razorback, I'd say take it.

5. how many combi plasma, combi melta on wolf guard do I need to take to take down a wraithknights/Riptide/Centurion squad/Kairos,

Honestly? 10. And Divination, if you can afford it.

6. Do any special characters work especially well with a drop pod list.  

Lots of people like the "Logan bomb", which is putting Logan in a drop pod with a Long Fang squad (usually with Multi-meltas for anti-tank). Logan can confer several rules to the unit he is with, including Relentless, which allows them to fire upon landing. Combine that with their Fire Control special rule, and maybe a Divination Rune Priest for accuracy, and you have a pretty brutal Alpha Strike. Just watch out for mishaps, or you are looking at 450~ points down the drain (I should know, it's happened to me more than once! If only we had locator beacons).

I hope some of that helps. :)

I love pods they are my favorite way to play.

Regarding your Dreadnaught question I love to use a multimelta heavy flamer Dreadnaught in a pod. They come in around 150 and they usually land and do some damage, then they draw alot of fire and usually die, but it's worth it for their initial damage and the fire magnet aspect, cuz if they are getting shot other stuff isn't.

Banners are a must, I always bring them.

I run the majority of my grey hunters packs at full strength for the free weapon it helps a lot and I find that the combi on a wolf guard tactic rarely makes up for the lost weapon. Though this is just my experience.

As for your long fangs question it works but remember to hide them well or they will be shot to pieces. I use if mainly if I need the odd numbered pod and don't have the points to fit a small GH squad in.

Hope this is helpful

Thanks for the prompt responses guys,

Drop pod dreadnoughts could be a good distraction, I just need to work on weapon loadouts.

I'm thinking 10 man grey hunters packs with banners, MOTW and 2 special weapons.

wolf guard with combi weapons with a divination rune priest

possibly wolf guard combi weapons with a wolf priest for reroll of ones,

The long fangs could go in a drop pod to reserve the whole force or start on the board to start shooting turn 1. althoguha smaller grey hunter squad could be better in this role  

I'm liking the sound of Njal as well, does anyone have much experience of him?

welcome!

drop pod SW are certainly a great choice for alpha strike.

One thing i thought worht pointing out, as you'd mentioned having a divi rune priest with wolf guard...rune priests cant cast prescience the turn they arrive via drop pod, as blessings are all cast at the start of the movement phase (ie before the drop pods actually arrive).

Which is why wolf priests can me more useful, a wolf priest in a pod with pref enemy (infantry) and a few combi plasma toting wolf guard is a good heavy infantry killer. Of course you could give the WP pref enemy (vehicles) and take combi melta instead.

I sometimes just run a 3 man wolf guard squad in a pod, with each one having a combi plas and a combi melta. Its a fairly cheap way of upping your pod numbers to get more down first turn, and they can be a nice disruption unit even though there are only 3 of them

Thanks for the prompt responses guys,

Drop pod dreadnoughts could be a good distraction, I just need to work on weapon loadouts.

I'm thinking 10 man grey hunters packs with banners, MOTW and 2 special weapons.

wolf guard with combi weapons with a divination rune priest

possibly wolf guard combi weapons with a wolf priest for reroll of ones,

The long fangs could go in a drop pod to reserve the whole force or start on the board to start shooting turn 1. althoguha smaller grey hunter squad could be better in this role  

I'm liking the sound of Njal as well, does anyone have much experience of him?

I ran Njal back when I was first starting to play and to be honest I like him a lot and I didn't use him to his full potential that's for sure. Not only does he have a great model but his Lord of Tempests effects can be a lot of fun depending on how you play him. His big downsides are he is a lot of points and if you aren't going first then Living Hurricane cannot effect your opponents movement because it ends at the end of the game turn. I think he's fun and if you're already looking at him interested I say just drop $20 and try him because if nothing else he is fun to play.

You'll find the inhabitants of the Fang a friendly lot, except those who lurk in the lower Fang. Glowering in the shadows and hiding from sight.

*shoots a look over at Arez*

But pay those creatures no heed!! Grab some meat, mead and a maiden, if you can get your hands on one!!

End of Line

First, welcome to the fang!

Regarding your GH plans...be careful about over spending. I've not made any final decisions on my opinion (need to knock out some more games in 6e). I think 3 special weapons (you can use 4 but if you do that, double equipment on one guy).

The reason I say this is that it allows you to "box in" the special guys so there is at least 1 ablative wound before you get to someone important. Granted, it leaves you with a 40 pt guy that can be sniped by character, but from what I've seen it doesn't come up all that often.

Aside from that, solid advice from all previous posters.

Cheers!

What psychic power tables can a Rune Priest use? there are the codex powers and I guess Divination, anything else?

Hail and well met, welcome to the Fang!

As far as the Psyker Powers go: I believe it's, Codex, Divination, Presience.  I think this is mentioned in the SW FAQ or core rulebook for 6th somewhere.  Sadly, I do not recall where I read this; try the FAQ first please.

What psychic power tables can a Rune Priest use? there are the codex powers and I guess Divination, anything else?

Hail and well met, welcome to the Fang!

As far as the Psyker Powers go: I believe it's, Codex, Divination, Presience. I think this is mentioned in the SW FAQ or core rulebook for 6th somewhere. Sadly, I do not recall where I read this; try the FAQ first please.

It's mentioned in the amendments part of the FAQ:

Rune priest can take codex powers or roll twice for divination, precience or biomancy.

-rps

Archived