Departmento Munitorum: Orders

Kierdale

I thought it might be good to have thread solely for the discussion of orders. How they have changed from 5th to 6th edition and how we can best make use of them.

One which came immediately to mind is the use of Fire On My Target on HWSs to deny cover to skimmers and the like. Pair it with twin-link from Prescience and you've got a nasty combination.

One big important huge change: You must issue your orders at the start of the phase, but the ordered unit can act at any point later in the phase. Unlike before, they don't need to do it right away.

Beyond that, remember too that Tempestor Primes use these same orders (and not those from C:MT). 

Take Aim! could be amazing for a Militarum Tempestus Command Squad with four volleyguns. 16 shots with Precision could be very useful for eliminating all the enemy specials/heavies. Fire on my Target! could also have a field day with that, given the massed AP3.

Agreed, the change to flat out ignoring cover is huge. I think it may well become my most common order issued!

A combined infantry squad could be a good choice for precision shots, all the benefits of cheap IG spam fire with the added bonus of being able to allocate some hits! I like the sound of the pinning order but I'm not sure it'll be that effective depending on your target but it's certainly nice to have the option. It could make all the difference in the right moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone -I don't remember who- recently said that if a commissar joins a squad you cannot use the commissar's Ld for Order tests. I can't find any reference to this in my eCodex...?

I thought the unit would be able to use the Ld of any attached ICs (priests in conscript hordes, commissars in combined ISs, etc.).

One big important huge change: You must issue your orders at the start of the phase, but the ordered unit can act at any point later in the phase. Unlike before, they don't need to do it right away.

It's my understanding, that if you issue an order that requires the unit to shoot (i.e.Take Aim!) that if the order is passed, the unit must shoot straight away.

"If the test is passed, the order takes effect as specified in its description." (Followed my "must make a shooting attack")

"Unless an order causes the ordered unit to make a shooting attack or Run, receiving it does not prevent the ordered unit from acting later in that phase, whether the order was successful or not"

FRFSRF with prescience+perfect timing hellguns sounds nice! ...but 50 lasguns with FRFSRF, prescience, and misfortune sounds even better! That's 150 shots, 112 hits, 37 wounds, 6 failed 2+ saves, plus 5 more on the reroll...11 dead termies!

Archived