Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

Captain Idaho

Is this a worthwhile Banner? It's about 30pts too expensive but you do get more hits over all since rerolls are always better than an extra attack if you've already got a ton. Also if you're close to a Dreadnought etc they get the benefit as they'll be a unit within 6".

But it's not as useful after the first turn thanks to hatred rules, though I doubt many opponents will last more than one turn with sufficient numbers to worry Honour Guard and their Chapter Master. If they are that tough you should have shot them! ;)

But those points are steep. Honour Guard went down in points but is it worth it? You could get 2 more in a squad for that price!

Also, it's probably better to stay in combat into the opponent's turn so you don't get shot.

Does anyone have an anecdote of the banner so I don't just ignore it?

I have tried it, and it either works amazingly or dies horribly.   May just be my experience, but if my foe knows what it is it usually gets focussed down unless I hide it in a land raider (which is even more points).   I have found that, for most applications I would rather take the normal banner as honour guard are a target enough without that extra bullseye.

Now you COULD make a deathstar around it though.   Get some centurions or something and ride them up with the honour guard and the standard with a nice IC to ride with them.   Would be a lot of points, but holy crap the pain....   :-)

Interesting. I'm using a Land Raider anyway so perhaps that's not a problem.

But do I need it? The extra attack has done me well so far. I would love to be able to nuke a 20 man Ork mob in one turn, but then I can still do them in 2 turns and thus be free to not be shot the next turn.

You trade the extra attack for hatred which I just feel why not get both and have tiggy with them (since you play the poster boys :P ) and get the extra attack and rerolls to hit

Archived