A Good Core

Komrk

It would appear that I have now been converted to 30k. So my first question is what makes up a good core of an army? I was thinking that as a base army before models are released for the Raven Guard special units, I would get:

1 Tactical Squad Bundle
1 Seeker Bolter Kit (Would convert 10 of the Tacs to be Seekers or possibly buy two sets of 5 marines on their own)
1 Assault Squad Bundle
1 Terminator Bundle of some kind
1 Command Set or Praetor Set
1 Storm Eagle
1 Sicaran Battle Tank
1 Contemptor Dreadnought (Not sure on loadout yet)

and then Corax, the Strike Captain, and special units when they come out. I feel like this would be a good core to expand off of as I go along. Looking for any suggestions on the list. Also, has there been any word on Mark VI sets coming out any time soon because I want to do a post Istvaan Raven Guard army.

I've always suggested finding a Right of War that fits your goal or play style first. Once you have a 2000+ list with that, then get units that fill out the list to make it balanced.

It's hard to make suggestions when we don't really know where you are going with your army.

I agree with hisdudeness here, the "core" of your army completely depends on how you want your army to played. I find that with the 30K list, you can create a specialized force but with such a large variety of units and tanks you can still pack a punch against almost anything if done right.

Saying that though, I find two tactical squads made up of 15 - 20 marines are always a good core for most armies, but still, it fully depends on how you're going to play it!

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Space_Marine_Legion_List_%2830k%29#XIX_Legion:_Raven_Guard.

Saw somebody else post it in a different thread so I saved it. Not entirely sure of it's legitimacy because I've never been on that site before but it's what I've been using. 

There's nothing to make it Legion-esque, beyond maybe Mk VI Legion pads.  Even the other marks are not solely Heresy.  With the right upgrade bits we can easily use them in a Chaos Marine list.  And there is even a Raven Guard upgrade set already...I don't think they changed markings since the heresy.

Yeah, but the MK VI armor they have doesn't work with the assault squad stuff. And I don't want to use the upgrade stuff that exists already because that's what I use on my 40k Raven Guard

What?  How can a kit not work with the assault squad stuff?  All you have to do is add a jumppack and assault arms (pistol and chainsword).  The MK VI even has running legs that make it even more asaultly looking. 

Is even easier for the RG upgrade kit if you start with a base of assault marines.

As far as your current RG...with a few minor swaps you ready have a HH RG army less the specific legion units.  There is not really anything special about the "Heresy" MKs of armor, beyond that you don't see them much in 40k.  I know people that are buying the kits for their 40k armies to use as SGTs and HQs.  Unless I'm just missing something...

I just want the convenient packs that come with weapons and command upgrades etc, and the way the Mk VIs are made they would look weird as assault marines so I'm just gonna go with Mk V assault marines

Edit:

And I could definitely use my Vanguard Vets as Dark Furies until they get real models

Archived