Thinking of building a couple of Wolf Sisters for my GC. My daughter asked why there was no female SM's so I thought what the hell. First up is my fluff justification :

Wolf Priest Erlik Orkburner of Erik Morkai's GC skimmed the clouds of Fenris seeking any noble fallen warriors to bring to the Aett to join the sky warriors. He spotted the tell-tale flames of a raid and flew closer to watch the battle. As he approached it was with shock and surprise that he saw it was no common raid, a group of ravagers, men exiled from their clans or cowards who had fled from battle, had attacked a settlement while the men and warriors had left on a great hunt. They had butchered all who had remained except for three Fenrisian maidens who bravely fought on. They were the daughters of Nifral the smith who had reared them since their mothers death when they were but babes. As strong and hardy as any youth of Fenris they held their own and had slain many of the ravagers, but weight of numbers would wear them down. Sickened by the cowardice of the ravagers Erlik could not allow these brave sisters fall into their hands. With a roar he leapt to battle and in minutes it was all over. Erlik took the injured sisters back to the fang and petitioned the Great Wolf to allow him to save them. With typical sardonic humour Grimnar laughed and shrugged his shoulders, that was all the permission he needed. Using ancient techniques he re-built them as close to the Astartes template as possible, their speed,strength and senses was enhanced. While it was impossible to create a female marine, he was able to graft a form of the black carapace to them, allowing them to be able to use a modified form of power armour, similar to that of the silent sisters. One of the maidens was too badly injured to survive the procedure, however both Valgrim and Fytharin succeeded beyond all expectations. Never one to waste a weapon Morkai, took them into his company. Valgrim was posted to a Blood Claw pack where she has remained since with the Priest, the Grey Hunters reluctant to accept her, Fytharin has since passed into the ranks of the Wolf Scouts, where her calmness with the rifle is unsurpassed.

So any thoughts or comments, I know it's against Codex and all other fluff but I thought this might be at least a bit plausible.

Here are some pics

First up Erlik Orkburner, named for the hand-flamer he carries that was used the take out an entire Ork mob on a space hulk boarding operation.

med_gallery_61271_8919_272651.jpg

med_gallery_61271_8919_162875.jpg

med_gallery_61271_8919_28412.jpg

And the sisters, I will be using DE wytch heads awaiting from ebay.

First the scout

med_gallery_61271_8919_176739.jpg

med_gallery_61271_8919_482229.jpg

med_gallery_61271_8919_384835.jpg

And the Blood Claw

med_gallery_61271_8919_92694.jpg

med_gallery_61271_8919_257777.jpg

She carries an antique flame pistol given to her by the Orkburner as a sign of respect.

I am working on names for them at the moment.

As always any c&c welcomed.

Finished pics on last page.

Obviously I could sit here and argue with you the clear impossibilities of Female Astartes and that, as the fluff is in its current state, there simply can't be any.

But this is for your daughter, so censored.gif the fluff and make that little girl happy. Good on you, man.

In general I stay away from these posts, but if any of the chapter forums can handle it is this one. 

As noctus said above, it's your fluff, so do what you want with it. 

I will take the side of "no a female can't be a space marine", BUT that isn't to say you can't have a couple of women that can go HAM with the Wolves and purge some xenos.

There is a pretty big disparity between the fluff and what marines can do on the tabletop.  It isn't the bolter, power armor, and crappy retirement program that make a Space Marine a Space Marine; it's all of the "extras" that makes them humanity's finest.  The stuff that doesn't translate to tabletop: acid spit, the ability to operate in a void without a suit, extra organs, and the ability to learn things by eating brains.  You can literally drop a Space Marine anywhere and he can probably manage.

The above being said, there are plenty of instances in the fluff (and tabletop) of individuals whose combat prowess is equal to that of a Space Marine: Officio Assassinorum operatives, the assassin guy in the Ragnar book, even the Kroot (until 6e).  I’m sure others can come up with more, but those are off the top of my head.

If you wanted to go a more “fluff kosher” angle, your Wolves came across some legacy tech (Golden Age stuff: bionics, genetic manipulation that isn’t Space Marine level) that at least passed Iron Priest tests (if not Admech).  Kind of like what was done to Kasper Hawser (30k, but w/e).  This way you have a couple of females that can at least “keep up” with the Space Wolves in battle, if not “be” one.

My $0.02 use/ignore as you see fit.

Cheers!

Yeah I like that, a kind of Luher/Kor Phaneon?/Kasper Hawser job. That might be more fluff consistent. Thanks Huzzah and Noctus I know it's not legit and I can do what I want but I'd kind of like to make it somewhat plausible, I'm a bit OCD about things like that, hence my hatred of TWCwallbash.gif .

Officially the FAQ (not sure if it's back on the Gdub site) changes some text to "may take", implying that our WS don't have to give up their BP/CC.

What I don't recall is what sentence of the text it adjusts. I can check later today.

Addendum: 

This doesn't change the fact that Wolf Scouts can't carry bolters, but as stated above: Do you think Mactire cares?  Mactire don't give a ****!

See picture above biggrin.png, but seriously, I don't game so loadout's don't bother me, I just figure in real life a sniper needs back up if the targets get too close.

in that case, looks cool, I was just wondering because I am fiddeling with scouts atm

An alternative could be to take and use a few SoB and conscript them as "Shield Maidens" and craft some worthy story as to how they came to pledge themselves in service to the Sons of Russ or a particular Wolf Lord or Great Company.  Perhaps their armor could be slightly altered to reflect their devotional shift from the Eclesiarchy to direct service to the Wolf Lord/Priest or Great Company.

Another possibility is to rework your original fluff a bit to make them into "Shield Maidens" from the onset and after such an honorable showing on the field in defense of their village, they could've been taken into service as thralls for your Wolf Priest where he directed their training and education into the realm of the Sons of Russ where they eventually requested and eventually received permission to serve the Wolf Priest in a more "tangible manner" and pledged themselves to be his personal "Shield Maidens" assigned to his retinue.  Either case would not necessarily require introduction of the Canis Helix and may be more plausible for those "nit-pickers" that you may encounter.

Have a gander at fellow Wolf Brother MaveriK as he has crafted a few "Shield Maidens" of his own into his warband:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/211665-vlka-fenryka-wippip-warband-fluff/

I kept my warband and fluff simple to avoid narrow minded naysayers who can't think outside the box, in a universe based on science fiction. Mav came up with the idea based on Prospero Burns. Rebuilt and remade shield maidens who serve the fang as guardians of the kaerls and bodyguards for the fleshmakers. Check and click my sig banner, it leads to my fluff/topic. Good luck and most of all, have fun with it!

As noted above I think that DE wych heads may be a bit too small and fragile looking. What I like about your conversions is that you've kept it simple. Too many people thing female marine or even female Imperial guard means skinny waist and big breasts are necessary. Even flak armour would largely obscure the differences between men and women. Space marines aren't really male anyway, they are post-human and gender doesn't really have any meaning anymore. Put a woman through the marine creation process and she'll be that pumped with testosterone and steroids and bulk up so much in muscle she'll not look female anymore. Shield maidens, thralls enhanced like Kasper Hawser, probably make the most sense fluffwise.

If anyone questions why the chapter would expend so much effort for a couple of warriors who are no better then Blood Claws, just say it was "wyrd". A Rune Priest had a vision that it was meant to be, so it was. If anyone asks the Wolves about it they just shrug and say, "It was wyrd", when a non-Wolf asks anything more the Wolves just look at them like they're idiots. Any fool knows you can't argue with wyrd.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'm going to re-jig my fluff a little. Love your shield maiden background Skadi. Kravin and Growler your ideas will be worked on, also Kravin that was my thought exactly, there is no way they should look feminine with all the PA, I mean you see female soldiers in action on tv in their full kit and they look like SOLDIERS not glamour girls. That is why I'm only going with the female heads. Will keep this updated as I go, waiting for the DE heads and will post pics when in. At least I have names now (thanks girls).

Ha I am stuck in a similar situation for my wife, she doesn't like the greasy, burly, space lumberjacks. Right now I convinced her to run a wolves theme list and leave the marines off the mounts with canis as an HQ. Hopefully they will release some plastic battle sisters to either a. ally with sisters, or b. convert space wolves into space shield maidens or space valkries...

I think your wifes, daughters, girlfriends, shewolves are absolutely right.

I'm tempted to start some conversions this weekend.

Here is a blog for inspiration

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/283903-building-a-multi-part-sisters-of-battle-kit/ 

I'll keep my progresses posted.

I'm more a modeler than a player so fluf, codex or not, is not really important for me

All critics and ideas will be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the heads in the mail, as there are four of them I'm giving Fytharin and Mav-girl the choice of heads. To keep it simple I'll call left to right 1 2 3 4. Also Mav-girl I felt the FW arm and the GW one looked unbalanced so I've swapped the axe for a FW short sword, hope this ok.

med_gallery_61271_8919_19897.jpg

med_gallery_61271_8919_289013.jpg

Short sword looks good! I think I'll go with option 2 on the head. Hard to see from the pics but 2 looks good to me.

How old is your daughter? on behalf of all the shield maidens here in the Fang, give her our welcome.

Thanks for your choices, yeah the pics are crappy but hopefully as I'm working on them the heads will become clearer if ye want to swap out at that stage no problem. I need all the practice I can get on skin and facial work. Have to agree on the sword, I'm a big Arya Stark fan and this struck me as c/a "needle". 

Oh and my daughter is twelve who along with myself and my nine year old son are trying to learn how to play DV, oh god the quesions, the endless questions.

*shrugs* Fenris, where men are men and so are the women. Works for me.

Nice hand flamers, BA bits? Are those counting as a combi-flamer? Thats what I do, but theyre all the old 2nd ed hand flamers.

The one on the WP is, the other along with sword is from the FW power weapon set(not sure which mk). I don't really game so it's more rule-of-cool where my minis are concerned.

• 5 months later...

Archived