advice

Commissar Uri

Ok getting back into 40k from 4th ed rules. Used to play tau but now I want to start a IG list. Got the codex, soon buying rule book and was looking for a 500pt list. Saw the new box set (russ, c him, 2x shock 3x heavy wep and command squad) and thought this was a fine place but as with most box sets it's to good to be true. What tweaking will this need? The sets £70 from wargamer.com so I know I have found the place to order from

The box set requires some tweaking, either way. It gives you enough to field a Company Command Squad, and 2 Veteran Squads, giving you a legal army. However you will be unable to use the Heavy Weapons squads (unless you put them inside the Veteran Squads and the CCS, but you'll still have some leftover men then).

If you however wish to field a Platoon, you will require at least an extra Command Squad box. And then you need another Troops choice.

If you want a 500pts list, I'd opt for Veterans, and a CCS for starters, then add stuff you want.

The other guys here can help you further, I haven't even got the new codex yet. sweat.gif

Hope this helped somewhat.

If you field it as a Infantry Platoon, then that's just a single troops choice, at that point you would need the second CCS, and you would also need a second troops choice. Which could be as simple as getting a box of 10 Guardsmen and fielding it as a veteran squad. Moneywise, I would go for fielding the big box as a CCS & 2 veteran squads, as it is already a legal list with nothing else to buy.

Everyone else has covered-off what I would have said. The box is a good value and it is a perfectly legitimate force making it a great starting point. Play a few games at lower point level to get a feel for what style you might like for your expansion -- either up to a platoon or more vets, or more toys, etc.

a mech army is actually cheaper than a full infantry list...

an armoured fist squad ( 10 infantry + chimera) costs 115 pts and 35£

2 infantry squads cost 100 pts and 36£... so you end up paying less money, for more points

In a perfect world, where money flows like wine, I'd buy 2 (probably catachans because i have cadians out the wazoo):

CCS w/ 2xsnipers, vox, medic,stealth gear, colonel with toys.

PCS w/ 3xflamers, vox

-2x IS w/ grenade launchers, voxes

-HWS w/ 3x AC

-HWS w/ 3x ML

Vet Squad w/ 2x PG, HF, vox, Chimera (MLaser & HF)

Vet Squad w/ 2x MG, HF, vox, Chimera (MLaser & HF)

2x Leman Russ (magnetize the turret guns)

All parts available between the 2 boxes.  3 troops slots, 1 HQ, 2 heavies.  Solid starter army to build off of.

• 3 weeks later...
I hate you heckus.... and so does my wallet cus guess what? I bought two.... damn you and your sense! (And the the over time I slogged through) so both sets should arrive soon. Heard bad things about totalwargamer.com. com so went to gifts for geeks. 10 more but meh I have it. Next question. Flamers love infantry, infantry hate flamers but I have heard they can shoot in over watch but also heard they can't. So which is better flamers or grenade launchers? Oh and standard cadian codex uniform. What paint colours are they as I have also liked that one

Flamers don't shoot normally when charged, instead inflicting D3 hits automatically so they're quite useful.  Flamers and generally better for infantry squads but grenade launchers are just as cheap and quite flexible. I usually recommend a mix of the two with a preference for flamers :)

Regarding the Cadian colour scheme look no further than GW's site :D

I hate you heckus.... and so does my wallet cus guess what? I bought two.... damn you and your sense! (And the the over time I slogged through) so both sets should arrive soon. Heard bad things about totalwargamer.com. com so went to gifts for geeks. 10 more but meh I have it. Next question. Flamers love infantry, infantry hate flamers but I have heard they can shoot in over watch but also heard they can't. So which is better flamers or grenade launchers? Oh and standard cadian codex uniform. What paint colours are they as I have also liked that one

Hehe.  Glad you liked the idea.  You'll have to let us know how it works out.  Should make for a good starter army.  Nice mix of units.

I wouldn't know, never played IG. But with two vet squads (20 in each I guess) two tanks and a css sounds good but with no troop transports how would you run such an army? Also I heard 6th ed (7th round corner I know) hit russes hard with there firing, can't move and shoot main wep

I wouldn't know, never played IG. But with two vet squads (20 in each I guess) two tanks and a css sounds good but with no troop transports how would you run such an army? Also I heard 6th ed (7th round corner I know) hit russes hard with there firing, can't move and shoot main wep

Veteran squads are only 10 men each, there is no option to add men.

"7th" hasnt hit yet and I dont think they'll change the Heavy USR (Maybe to ignore ordnance but thats just wishful thinking), right now Russes can move 6'' max and shoot ALL weapons but if you fire an ordnance gun then the rest of the guns are snap shot only.

If you go with the cadian battleforce/starter set than I advice getting these guys http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Cadians-5-models

They're great to add more bodies and if you have spare special weapons its fairly easy to convert one to have one, 30 more bodies for £36 compared to the 20 for the same price if you buy the 10 man boxes is quite the bargain if you ask me.

I heard a rumour (from my local GW store no less) that main changes to 7th are casting psychic powers and no longer having to follow force organisation charts - apparently you get bonuses if you do, but it's no longer mandatory to have 1 hq and two troop choices. I guess this means you could run all elites or all tanks if you wish, although I don't know how they're dealing with scoring units...

My last model paint looked... erh ish.... btw is the colour for the skin included in that set? If not what would you advise and black base coat or white

No, it's just the colours for the armour and fatigues. Skin is easy to do though depending on what tone you'd like by using a wash. I use Rakarth Flesh followed by a Reikland Fleshshade wash and it gives me a nice paler skin :) A black base coat would be best I think.

Okies so I know what's next on my buy list, which makes sense as I do need more troops no matter how much I want to buy loads of armour. Now I'm just writing up a list for a 500pt game in about a week and a half. I'll be allied with chaos marines against either a 1000pt spess marine (one of the "I got my own chapter codex) books but it's not wolves, templars or dark angels) or dark elder( if I lose... well the after party will be interesting).

Should be good, the opponent is a friend, my ally his gf and she asked him if he could help her with his list and nearly died laughing when he saw my face...

I'm thinking a standard russ, CCS, 2 vets and if I can squeeze them in some heavy wep teams. Her filthy dirty marines are aligned with that dirty heretical being who likes his furniture made from people so get rid of armour to get her into CC is my priority... right? Also how do you fit 2 russes into a 500 game... that sounds cheesely hilarious

Archived