Legions present at Tallarn?

AGPO

What it says on the tin. I know that on the traitor side the combatants were Iron Warriors, and that this was retconned from Alpha Legion in 3rd ed. I can remember that at least one loyalist legion was mentioned as being present in the original Index Astartes series, but I can't remmber who it was. Can anyone shed any light?

Any help much appreciated.

Just Iron Warriors vs Tallarn Desert Raiders.

There's also the token Alpha Legion operative.

I thought tall arm wasn't a desert until after the battle..

Well, since the start of the battle, really.  The fluff from Tallarn from 3rd Edition was that the Iron Warriors showed up to the rather Eden-like Tallarn, virus-bombed the place to oblivion, and then landed troops to take out the survivors.  Relief forces from the Fists and Hands showed up, and due to the contamination of the surface, not even power armored troops could operate fully unhindered.  As a result, everyone had to stay sealed up tight in their armored vehicles, and it became the single largest tank battle in the Imperium's history.

Just Iron Warriors vs Tallarn Desert Raiders.

There's also the token Alpha Legion operative.

I thought tall arm wasn't a desert until after the battle..

Well, since the start of the battle, really.  The fluff from Tallarn from 3rd Edition was that the Iron Warriors showed up to the rather Eden-like Tallarn, virus-bombed the place to oblivion, and then landed troops to take out the survivors.  Relief forces from the Fists and Hands showed up, and due to the contamination of the surface, not even power armored troops could operate fully unhindered.  As a result, everyone had to stay sealed up tight in their armored vehicles, and it became the single largest tank battle in the Imperium's history.

http://x3.fjcdn.com/comments/Never+thought+Nathan+Explosion+would+end+up+changing+diapers+one+_0fa4e1737029089a3847b297f8bd33e2.png

In the novella, loyalists forces from the Dark Angels arrive, later followed by forces from the White Scars. However, command issues arose, as neither the I Legion or the V Legion trusted each other.

Also, the novella had Iron Warriors in full armor walking around fine.

So were the iron hands present or not? I'll be pretty annoyed if not, as that was the second largest battle that IH were a part of. I'm VERY tired of the IH fluff getting shafted at every opportunity >_>

So were the iron hands present or not? I'll be pretty annoyed if not, as that was the second largest battle that IH were a part of. I'm VERY tired of the IH fluff getting shafted at every opportunity >_>

Best bet to find out would be to ask one of the BL peoples at the HH weekender. Or maybe even FW - there's no way they'd pass up an opportunity to cover Tallarn in their HH series.

Completely agree with you on the suggestions of a retcon BassWave - especially as Tallarn would be a great opportunity to show that even though the X suffered grievously at Isstvan V, they could still have had anywhere from 40,000 to 70,000 Legionaries - which, when you consider the DG were at 70,000 at the end of Isstvan III (not even counting their losses at Isstvan V), is still a potentially devastating force, although, admittedly, with the loss of Ferrus & the factitious nature of the Clans, they would never act as one cohesive body   

Death Guard losses post Isstvan III were around 30,000 not 70,000.

Isstvan III losses are listed at 25,000, from an initial force of 95,000

95,000 - 25,000 = 70,000 remaining legionaries

Gah... Sorry, early in the morning... I thought you said a LOSS of 70,000... I need coffee.

Archived