Help me to fill the last 500 points in this list!

Ishagu

I have splurged on making a fluffy 2k Sons of Horus army, now I need to fill the remaining 500 points with something effective to make the list a bit more... Good :-P

Here is the army so far:

HQ:

-Legion Centurion, Artifacer Armour

Lord of War:

-Horus Lupercal

Troops:

-10 Justaerin Terminators, 8 Power Fists, 2 Chain Fists, 2 Multi Meltas

-10 Tactical Veterans, Sgt with Combi Plasma and Artifacer Armour, 2 Plasma guns, Rhino with Dozer Blade

So... As you can see this is a pretty elite list. I understand it would be better in a 2.5 game as I can add more numbers and toys... But in the interest of my local scene and trying to save money, what is the very best way to spend 500 more points?

Btw, are SoH veterans painted black or are they the usual teal?

Also... Can a 30k army like this take an Aegis line or other fortifications??

I keep hearing great things about Sicaran tanks but I've not seen the rules in book2: Massacre yet so can't make a judgement.

Also, I'm thinking of adding 5 Combi plasmas to the Terminators to make them in to an even scarier unit...

Thanks!

Well, a few things first.  I would not rely on this:

Lol I am definitely running the Primarch. His serpent scale's special
rule gives him a 3++ re roll 3++ if he takes damage as suffering a wound
IS definitely an adverse effect on his profile. Sounds like a good way
to Troll an opponent :-P

Rules as written, sure, that's how it works.  But I cannot believe that FW intended to give Horus the equivalent of 18 wounds while all the other Primarchs get 6.  Not for only 500 points.  If you wrote to FW and asked them if that's how it works, then they might tell you no, it isn't.

Second, you probably have more than 500 points to play with.  Justaerin are supposed to be getting a price drop (alongside a price increase for Master of Signal and a change for Tactical Support Squad Sergeants) in an FAQ/errata alongside book 3.

30k armies can take fortifications.

I'm not entirely sure your list will work - I think you're relying heavily on a cheesy reading of Horus' rules to make that deep striking blob of Terminators work.  Facing 30k armies, I can pretty well guess that it will not.  There is too much firepower in a 30k gunline for that few units to survive.  With fury of the legion, 20 tactical marines can kill ~4 terminators in one round of shooting.  Mix that in with the powerful blast weapons available to Legions (Medusas, Predator Executioners, Typhons, etc) and you're looking at a really bad day for that squad.  Vs 40k?  I dunno.  But I think that deep striking next to some 20 man guardian blobs would be way worse than doing the same thing to 30k tacticals.  Bladestorm is bad juju for Horus and his terminator pals.  I think the maneuverability of 40k armies will deny you the game-winning assaults that you need, since your terminators are all in Cataphractii plate.

Ok, fair points you've made. I love fluffy units so I'll keep the Justaerin termies but cut them down to a unit of 5 to deepstrike with Horus.

Are veteran Tacticals worth it in your experience? I like being able to take 2 special weapons, but even if I make them fearless they just seem like a more expensive tac squad from 40k... Does giving them the Sniper special rule make their weapons rending or is it simply poison 4+??

Veterans are fairly costly for what they do.  Tacticals break down to 12.5 points each, while veterans work out to about 20 points each, so if you're just looking at buying as few models as possible, Veterans are one way to go.  Those 7.5 points a piece only really buys you 2 extra attacks in melee and a USR, though - and you lose the ability to do a Fury of the Legion attack in the process.  But yes, they are like an expensive tac squad from 40k, one with a whole mess of melee attacks.

Your question Re: Sniper in the Vet squad is answered in FW's FAQ.

Since Horus grants +1 Ld to all SoH models in the same force, I would not go for Fearless on them.  It would be much better to get some use out of one of their other USRs instead of wasting their Ld10/9 by choosing Fearless.

As far as cash layout goes:

Veteran Squad

10 Members, 2 Plasmaguns, Legion Vexilla, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Power Weapon, Meltabomb

265 points

2x5 man tactical squad sets - 46 GBP

8/10ths Bolter set - 8.8 GBP

1/2 Legion Command Upgrade Set - 4.50 GBP

1/5th Legion plasma set - 2.2 GBP

Deimos Rhino - 34 GBP

95.5 GBP

~0.36 GBP per point

Tactical Squad

20 members, Legion Vexilla, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Power Weapon, Meltabombs

Tactical Squad

4x 5 man tactical squad sets - 92 GBP

2x Bolter Set - 22 GBP

1/2 Legion Command Upgrade Set - 4.50 GBP

118.5 GBP

~0.415 GBP per point

Either of these would also need some parts from the assault weapons kit (like the meltabombs and power weapon).

So, I think I have my 2k list, and it won't cost TOO much to put together, I will of course be using complete FW kits.

I already purchased Master of Signal, Horus, Termies and Snipers...

-Master of Signal (love the one use attack)

-Warmaster Horus

-Justaerin Terminators x 5, Multi Melta, Chain Fist, 4 Power Fists (fluffy!)

-Recon Squad, 5 Sniper Rifles (like the models)

-Veteran Tactical Squad, Combi Plasma, 2 Plasma Guns, Rhino

-Legion Jet Bike Sqd, 3 Multi Meltas (not too expensive to buy lol)

-2 x Sicarans, Las Cannon Sponsons

How would this fare?

Archived