Demon2027 Imperial Guard

Daemon2027

Well, in real life, a person with a helmet does have a slightly bigger head, so it doesn't look too off to me. Besides, it's not that much bigger :)

Great kitbash though, I must say. If i had the money, I'd do the same :P

I think the head looks fine. I looked at the picture before reading your post, and did not even notice that it was a bit big until you mentioned it. Then it looked slightly big but I think it is completely fine.

Give it distinctive camo and it will look plenty distinguishable from both Cadians and Elysians I think.

If you are worried about the head looking too similar you could have a look at all the people selling heads separately. Ramshackle, Westwind, Mad Robot, MaxMini and Puppetswar all sell heads with helmets and gasmasks, if I remember correctly.

Though all it really needs to look spectacular is a snazzy pointjob, imo. Nice work.

it looks good! and remember that the cadian pattern helmet is quite popular on a lot of warzones. if you still want it to look differently though you could always flatten the back of the helmet. it's only a minor change but will change the look enough to make it clearly non cadian.

Ok cool I'll go ahead and start building the first squad.

Ludovic: every time I buy some from FW I add a small IG kit, like resperators or weapons. Built a good little stockpile that way.

Hendrik: I played around with removing all the bits on the helmet but wasn't a fan of the outcome. Just taking off the back bit may work, will have a look latter.

Right so next up is how to paint. I'm tempted by either forest or urban snow.

Warrior fish: I've always thought the Cadian shoulders were a bit much. In the artwork it's reasonable.

So, still with the little problems, I decided to see see what it looked like full Elysian:

13982345762_b571dcefc2.jpg

Now I really like that. It works, so well (obviously,I they were disingenuous for each other!). So I'm now tempted to go full Elysian. I really like the Elysian stuff, with the exception of the standard heads, which can be worked around (at cost but this FW so what the hell). Plus i was going to use the drop sentinels, and the vehicles (forget what they are called, the ones that look suspiciously like the warthogs in halo. Thinking about it the Elysians remind me a lot of Halo, hmmmm), but I also wanted some codex elements such as rough riders, and tanks.

So would this work:

Start with Elysians, but represent them as a force that have already dropped, so have been in the field a while. Rough riders could be vets who needed to scout ahead and used some local wildlife. I can still have Vendettas, air support, and Valkyrie, bringing in supplies/fresh meat. Then when I want to add armour, say they are the Cadian Armoured whatever's, and big guns, well I've got my eye on the DKoK Engineers (ok I've already ordered some). Hel I could go full hog, throw in a Vostroyan Firstborn mechanised company. May be some Savlar Chem Dog 'conscripts'. Ok maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. No full on Space Marine allies. And an Imperial Knight. That's getting ahead of myself.

Well this is 40K so realism isn't that much of an issue, but forward reconnaisance elements just grabbing wildlife to ride seems to be pushing it a bit, plus where did they get the hunting lances from? Even if the wildlife they seized was already domesticated, say the mode of transportation of the local inhabitants they still wouldn't be trained to fight and the Elysians wouldn't know how to ride them or make them charge into the teeth of bolter fire. I think you'd be better off just having the rough riders being troops from another regiment that have either been attached to your Eleysians for the mission, are part of a decimated regiment that was combined with the Eleysians, or just happened to be nearby and are helping out. Plus it will make your modelling way easier/cheaper than trying to somehow put Elysian models onto horses or cold ones or what have you.

Hmmm I didn't think of it like that. I just presumed horses would be quite widespread, being a rather faithful part of man kinds history (like dogs, and errmmmm rats). But you are right, there's a difference between using local horses to run messages, and using bred warhorses to charge the enemy. I think the parts would work. I've found these by Apologist.

http://apologentsia.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/inload-roots-for-many-of-those-reading.html

In fact his whole guard army is fantastic, and not far from my original effort. So torn between Elysian and going my own way. I don't want my guard army to fall into my usual trap of over converting and never painting (see my HH Alpha Legion for an example).

Yeah my mom owns a horse (Warhammer 40K is practically free compared to that hobby -- I could probably build a whole chapter and pay to have it custom painted for what she pays yearly just in veterinary bills) and I like to write a bit of fantasy fiction involving horses so she's educated me. Horses are very skittish animals, so they have to be trained like crazy to be willing/able to function on a battlefield. It can be done, but no way will you get a non-warhorse to do it.

I'm can't make my mind up over the whole, do my own thing or stick to existing stuff. May seem odd, but if it bugs me I'll likely not bother finishing anything I start. So i decided to put that to one side for now and work on some other guard stuff. Firstly a commissar.

14088592303_b95f044f4e.jpg

I like the new plastic model, with the exception of the head. I also like breathing apparatus. Hence the above. I'm not sure on the hat, but I felt the one the head came with was a bit small so I combined the 2.

I also picked up some of these guys

14068545505_1c3c7696e2.jpg

I love the look of these fella's, and can't wait to paint them. I'm tempted to get another 5 plus the mole launcher. Then I'll convert 2 of the new guys to have special weapons (not sure what, a flamer feels right, but for the other? A second flamer, or maybe a grenade launcher?). This way I can either feel 10 vets with 2 special weapons in a codex list, or 10 engineers with either 2 special weapons, or 1 heavy weapon team (the mole launcher).

Archived