Doing what we do best: Part 2

Gentlemanloser

A while ago I got a bit fixated with spamming Storm Bolters with Divination.  And messed around with various permutations to try to squeeze the most out of the game;

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/287661-grey-knights-doing-what-we-do-best/

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/287668-1850-gk-using-sw-primary-and-ci/

I kinda like that last list.

But, with the new IG/AM, can we take this any further?  Can we replace the Rune Priests with Primaris Psykers to give C:I Warriors Divination?

We can't use them to boost GK units, as they are AoC.  But they are BB with the Inquisition.

Some mix of Inquisitors from C:GK *and* C:I to attach to GK units, and C:IG/AM Psykers to attach to C:I Warriors.

What unit would you stick Coteaz with?  How would you put this all together to maximise shots?

Codex: Grey Knights

HQ: Coteaz (100)

HQ: OMI, PML1 (55)

Troop: Acolytes x10, Storm Bolter x10 (70)

Codex: Astra Militarum

HQ: TBA

HQ: Ministorum Priests (25)

HQ: Primaris Psyker (50)

Troop: TBA

Codex: Inquisition

Elites: DCA x10 (150)

Total: 1220

The C:I psykers can join the C:GK warbands, while the C:AM psykers can join the C:I warbands, along with the priests too. That's why I specifically chose 4 warbands from C:GK as they have a potential of 4 ICs that can join them.

The downside is the DCA are not scoring as Coteaz is from C:GK, but with a psyker giving them all rerolls to failed hits and a priest giving them rerolls to failed wounds (or armour and inv saves if needed) then they should be assaulting anything and everything.

It's not a complete list as its only 1220 points and there's a need for an actual HQ and Troop choice from C:AM before any additions or upgrades are taken, but I think it's a good place to start. I chose to go for DCA to illustrate the potential of using priests and psykers in the same list. Drop the Priests and go for more storm bolter if needed. Also get a squad of joker-oreos with Coteaz for IBEY hilarity.

Awesome! Just the kinda thinking I'm after. biggrin.png

For the Priests and Psykers, can you take up to 5 of each even as an Ally? I know they don't take a FoC slot at all.

But that's awesome. smile.png

Sadly they're limited to 3 each in C:AM, but "Each Astra Militarum detachment may include 0-3 Primaris Psykers." allows them to be taken even as allies I presume.

edit: bad mistake

I meant it the other way around sweat.gif Its a choice between 3 psykers or 2 priests.

There are also a squad of psykers in elites (so only 1 with C:AM as allies), for 60 points you get the worst profile I've ever seen (Ld:8), but 5 psykers with the brotherhood of pyskers rule and choice of 4 disciplines prescience.

Codex: Grey Knights
HQ: OMI, PML1, Servo Skulls x3 (64)
Troop: Jokaero x5, Plasma Cannon Servitor x3 (235)
Chimera (55)

Codex: Astra Militarum
HQ: Lord Commisar (65)
HQ: Ministorum Priest (25)
HQ: Primaris Psyker, PML2 (75)
Troop: Veterans (60)

Codex: Inquisition

Total 1649

So the C:I psykers can join the C:GK warbands, while the C:AM psykers can join the C:I warbands, along with the priests too. The Primaris Psykers are now Psyker Mastery Level 2 as they're going to be assaulting along with the DCA and so will get close enough to use Smite (prescience first, for the rerolls) which is the primaris power in biomancy, although rolling is always an option. With 2 spots available and enough points for crusaders in the warbands, they may be invaluable if the priests sacrifice their rerolls to wound for rerolling 3++ saves in combat.

I changed one storm bolter warband for a jokaero unit with 3 PC servitors that will go inside a chimera for extra protection with Coteaz. I also picked the cheapest C:AM units as I know nothing about them, but I feel it's lacking something, maybe a Dreadknight whistlingW.gif

I'm now mulling over two different ways of building this.

1;

Primary SW, Inquisitorial and Allied IG.

This gives cheapest Imperial Terminators, and more divination that you can shake a stick at.

2;

Primary GK, Inquisitorial and Allied IG.

Paladin over WGT, but loses the ability to add IG Priests to the TDA for reroll shenanigans.

I'm torn really.

If those paladins are packing psycannons and psybolt ammo (and why wouldnt they) then you should probably avoid close combat, making the priests redundant while still allowing OMI from C:I or C:GK to join them and then the psykers from C:AM can join the C:I warbands.

The psykers can still allow rerolls to hit in close combat too and the pally psycannons will be pumping out 8 shots per turn with rerolls to hit, while relentless means you can assault with rerolls to hit on force weapon if the situation calls for it.

Basically in the lists above, exchange Coteaz for Draigo and warbands for pallies (three squads max).

2;

Primary GK, Inquisitorial and Allied IG.

Purifiers over WGT, but loses the ability to add IG Priests to the TDA for reroll shenanigans.

fixed

The War Priests only work in melee, which is annoying. 

Wolf Guard die just as easily as Paladins to Riptides, so I dunno why you'd go with either. 

War Priests work better being abused in a unit that already has high saves (ie Stormhammers, or an IG blob with Azrael etc). You jam them into enemy units then lol as they refuse to die. 

With all this in mind, how about Space Marines (Mantis Warriors) as Primary?

Primary; Space Marines

HQ: Libby

HQ: Libby

Elite: Terminator, TH&SS x5

Troop: Scout x5

Troop: Scout x5

Heavy: Centurion, Grav Cannons x3

Inquisitorial;

HQ: Coteaz

HQ: Inquisitor, PML1, Tome, Servo Skulls

Elite: Warrior, Strom Bolter x10-12

Allied; IG/AM

HQ: Lord Commisar

HQ: Priest

HQ: Primaris Psyker

Troop: Veteren

For a basis?

Coteaz goes with Dev Cents. Priest goes with TH/SS Terminators. Inq with Scout goes to either of these two.

Three Primaris Psykers go with the three Warrior squads.

That leaves two Divination Libbies to go wherever.

And round I go! smile.png

Edit: And I'm sure I can fit some Bullgryns in as well...

I've worked out a GK Primary version;

GK;

HQ: Librarian (150)

Troop: Strike x10, Psycannon x2 (220)

Inq;

HQ: Inquisitor, PML1, Servo Skull x3 (64)

Elite: Warrior x10, Storm Bolter x10 (70)

Elite: Servitor x3, Plasma Cannon x3 (60)

IG/AM

Troop: Veteren (60)

Total: 1,819

Still a little room to play with.

Libbies go with the two henchmen squads, for Rerolls and ATSKNF.  Coteaz with Plasma Cannon Servitors.  Primaris Psykers and Inquisitor with the Strikes.  Commisar with the Vets.

What do you think?

How does this compare with the original Space Wolf primary version?  I'm surprised there's actually nearly as many minis in the Space Wolf version as this one.

Is there any way to squeeze more out of IG/AM as allies?  Could we get use out of Priests?  In Warbands with Crusaders?

Primaris Psykers and Inquisitor with the Strikes.

AM are not Battle Brothers, so you can't. 

That's why I needed to play musical detachments with my psykers.

The C:I are BB with all of the imperium, so the AM/IG psykers can join the C:I warbands while the C:I psykers can join the C:GK strikes.

GK;

Elite: Servitor x3, Plasma Cannon x3 (60)

Inq;

HQ: Inquisitor, PML1, Servo Skull x3 (64)

IG/AM

Troop: Veteren (60)

Total: 1574

Exchanging a strike quad from C:GK for a warband in C:I you can have the above, with the mandatory inquisitor in GK to allow the warband. Coteaz goes with the plasma cannons, Librarian and inquisitors go with the strikes, leaving the primaris psykers to go with the warbands. This has the drawback of no warband having ATSNKF, and so should probably exchange the libby for another OMI to reduce points.

Archived