Alpha Legion Colour Schemes?

I'd hate to be that guy, but I mostly wing it.

I use mostly Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and I did about a 1:1/1:2 ratio of Thinner:Tamiya Clear Paint when I did the test miniature above. Some swear by the Tamiya Thinner but I'm not super impressed with it compared to what I'm used to, will try it more as I paint more Alphas.

Edited by leoparden

I'm the same as Excessus, no airbrush as of yet. Very inspired with his scheme though I've gone a touch greener. I've started my AL using:

Base of 72/25 Sotek Green/Army Painter Mqtt Black

Later of Sotek Green with a few drops of AP Matt Black

Wash of 50/50 Coelia Greenshade/Lahmian Medium

Couple of thin glazes of 50/50 Waywatcher Green/Lahmian Medium

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so my biggest problem is the paint still isn't going on smooth with my fw models. It goes on splotchy and like it pools up I attached a pic because this is almost exactly what it looks like. The strips or spots would be the paint a everything else would be the model. Pleae any ideas why it's doing this

http://i.imgur.com/Ii1ZpQQ.png

I've had that with FW before and it's probably due to the mold release agent. Did you give it a good wash before priming it? One solution is to give it a varnish before you start painting to cover any left over patches

you know i didn't haha i was so excited to finally have a scheme i liked i forgot to was them. But i did spray gun metal and silver on them first and they seemed to go on fine. It was just the Tamiya clears colors that seemed to pool

I've not used Tamiya clear before but I'd definitely consider stripping one back, washing it and having another go. Hopefully it works... and you don't have too many to redo! I've heard of some batches of resin where the mold release is virtually impossible to remove even with swarfega etc which is when I heard the varnish solution first being mentioned

What the best way to clean a model? soak them in hot water and soap?

Soak them in some kind of soap / dish washing liquid and at least luke warm water solution for a while (if the water is too hot you'll bend the pieces).

Then scrub them with a soft toothbrush (I use an old electric toothbrush because I'm kind of lazy and I find it gets in to all the crevices better) or similar and after that rinse them in water again to get rid of any remaining soap - leave them to dry.

Has worked pretty well for me through the years

I've amended my army colours. Went for varying shades of Sotek Green as I wasn't getting too far with the blue/green attempts. I've gone for:

Base - 2:1 Sotek Green: Army Painter Matt Black
Layer - 3:1 Sotek Green: Army Painter Matt Black
Wash - 2:1:1 Druchii Violet: Lahmian Medium: Water
Highlight Sotek Green

Then I just Matt Varnish Sprayed the mini to take the shine off it :-)

I've amended my army colours. Went for varying shades of Sotek Green as I wasn't getting too far with the blue/green attempts. I've gone for:

Base - 2:1 Sotek Green: Army Painter Matt Black

Layer - 3:1 Sotek Green: Army Painter Matt Black

Wash - 2:1:1 Druchii Violet: Lahmian Medium: Water

Highlight Sotek Green

Then I just Matt Varnish Sprayed the mini to take the shine off it :-)

Do you have any pictures?

The pictures don't quite get the colour right, it's more of a teal colour. The Assault Marine is near enough completed, weathering aside. The Sicaran Venator and Storm Eagle are at the 'just been Layered' phase.

10252155_10152159943045888_8771883314361

10384307_10152159943150888_6739165605211

10361057_10152159943205888_2968783686309

Edited by grand_master85

Ok so here are two models,

The first is a normal gw death company, not the exact scheme I wanted but you can see it went on pretty smooth and easy. Also it's much darker in the flesh

http://i.imgur.com/EUji5YD.jpg

The second is my fw mkiv with almost the exact same mix and well it turned out much splotchier

http://i.imgur.com/Sl3bzoC.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA my 9 yr old sister and all her little friends said the same.

Which guy are you talking about? The first guy? Because that is actually my plan tonight is to wash him with Guilliman blue tonight. I think that is the scheme i really like...if i could only get it to translate to FW models

I too am toying with an Alpha Legion army idea. Has anyone tried the Ultramarine Blue primer that Army Painter has? From the interwebs it looks a little light for me, but I wonder what it would look like with a wash of nuln oil. Or maybe waywatcher green to give it that green blue look? Or maybe instead of the Ultramarine blue, Gun Metal Grey primer with blue and/or green washes to give it that metallic blue/green look. I'm hoping someone has already tried this so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I followed the FW formula up to step 3 before running out of Tamiya Clear Blue and this is the result thus far.  Nothing like what you fine gentlemen have produced so far.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/Olaf_Tharand/photo3-1.jpg