What else for anti-armor 30K?

Kilofix

My 30K list looks somewhat like:

HQ, 30 Tacs, Apoths, 20 TDAs, a Contemptor and a Spartan, as well as a 40K Vindi and Preds that I could proxy for 30K.

Is there something else I should get for anti armor? Support squad Melta doesn't look so effective and Heavy squad is expensive points wise.

Thanks for the advice.

Take rapier laser destroyers - they are cheap as chips and can even pop a spartan

Ahh good point - thanks a bunch.

No problem citizen.

I plan on throwing my master of signal with my two gun battery to drop an artillery barrage on a spartan with the two guns in hopes that it puts a few hull points on it. Plus the battery sits in front of my volkite squad to act as a T7 cover and so that the master of signal can hop back and join them to get bs+1

Back to basics;

Thou shall not forget thy terminators with thy blessed fists of chains, neither thou Dreadnoughts, for they are more than cover candy.

Both of them will fulfil an anti-tank purpose admirably while still being able to dish out pain to their occupants. Everyone and their mother brings a spartan nowadays (mellow.png), and I nevertheless deal with them with a force that is unchanged for zone mortalis or an open table (no long ranged AT).

Graviton gun (imo) are an all or nothing venture. You either have them spammed or not, only a few of them arent going to create an effective anti armour contingent as most of the time you will only be glancing. So this doesnt pair very well with other, stronger, anti armour weapons like Melta and Lascannon which aim to actually pen and destroy, mass Grav instead aims to glance to death.

They are an often under utilised weapon which have some pretty nifty side benefits with the Grav Flux able to slow down assault orientated armies and the haywire blast capable or hitting multiple targets. If I field a Grav themed army it normally include the following;

Dreadnoughts with dual DCCW and built in Grav guns

Rapier Graviton Cannons

Breachers Squads with Grav Guns

For the points rapiers are some of the best AT weapons in 30k/40k, but they get balanced with a shorter range. I'd get 3 or 4 so you can field 1 full battery or 2 separate ones, but you'll need to rely on other heavy support choice to reach out to 48".

Thanks all, going to get myself 3 Laser Rapiers. Range shouldnt be an issue as I'm going to be scrapping close with lots of DG infantry.

Meltabombs on your sergeants are one of the best and most universally available pieces of anti-tank gear you can get. If you would be in range with a meltagun, you're in range to slap a meltabomb on it, and the meltabomb won't be stopped by armored ceramite. Chainfists are similarly good, on the models that can take them.

Autocannon/Lascannon Predators are good and cheap. Sicarans are better.

Kheres or Lascannon Contemptor-Mortis is a great all-around vehicle. Anti-tank and anti-air in one - the Kheres gains some infantry killing dakka in exchange for the range/overwatching ability of the CM.

Vindicators with LasDestroyer arrays are good Tank Destroyers. If a Spartan is charging up the field, you can pretty easily arrange a side-shot for the Vindicator. Even easier if you give it machine spirit, but I'm not sure that's worth the points on the lasdestroyer armed variant (definitely worth it for the demolisher-armed one).

Graviton guns, being heavy, template-based, and short ranged, are of incredibly limited use as anti-tank. You essentially have to move into range of the tank (or hope it moves into range of you), and stand around for a turn while your guys get their guns settled before you can try to glance it to death. The only way I would field them is built into the fists of a dreadnought, since the dreadnought can at least move and fire them. Graviton guns in Breacher squads are a non-starter for me. Graviton Cannons on Rapiers... well, artillery can't move and fire anyway, but they're just so bloody expensive. If your opponent has some big vehicle squadrons you can farm multiple hits off of, sure, but with gravitons you want weight of fire, not larger blasts...

Rapier Lasdestroyers, as mentioned.

I would not count out heavy weapons squads. With missile launchers, they're still quite cheap and will work well against anything short of Land Raiders and Spartans.

Medusas. S10 AP2 Ordnance is nothing to sneer at. If set up properly, 36 inch range can cover a lot of the board without the model having to move. The availability of nuncio voxii give you much better chances of hitting units while you've got the artillery piece tucked away. And, as Barrage weapons always hit side armor, they will ignore the flare shield on Spartans.

Are medusas barrage too? I thought they were direct fire only.

What about a dreadnought talon? Three riflemen dreads can put out 12 TL auto cannon shots and they can take havoc launchers to mess with infantry. Plus that many shots can provide air cover if need be. Also regular mortis dreads are cheaper than contemptors I think.

Or maybe predators with conversion beamers?

Yes medusas are barrage. Use nuncio vox on your tacticals to draw line of sight so you can subtract bs from scatter distance.

Question:

When using the nuncio vox, do you need to draw LoS from the vox bearer or the unit he's in to use the benefit?

I would assume it's from the bearer, but that means that if he's in the back ranks, he might not be able to see through his own guys.

If you've got the cash for it, Lightning Primaris with Battle Servitor Control and 6 Kraken Penetrator missiles. Tank Hunter and all those nasty anti-armor special rules, and the twin-linked lascannon. It'll pop a spartan a turn until the missiles run out, then the lascannons alone aren't anything to scoff at. 

Yes medusas are barrage. Use nuncio vox on your tacticals to draw line of sight so you can subtract bs from scatter distance.

Question:

When using the nuncio vox, do you need to draw LoS from the vox bearer or the unit he's in to use the benefit?

In betrayal it says "line of sight may be drawn from any MODEL equipped with a Nuncio vox..."

So that's self explanatory. As for the next part of the question, I guess it's how your group wants to play it?

A squad can usually draw line of sight through itself for firing purposes so I'm not sure if I'd play it differently to that or not.

Good question depthcharge.

I would assume it's from the bearer, but that means that if he's in the back ranks, he might not be able to see through his own guys.

Question:

Page 236 of Betrayal, LoS for nuncio voxii is drawn from the bearing model.  Page 8 BRB, models in your own unit are ignored for determining whether or not you have LoS.

Archived