snow cadians

Hey all, as my collection starts to roll in I was wondering how to paint it. My primary army is space wolves and at the moment all of my terrain and my battle mat are snow themed. So in order to keep the asthetic consistent with the snow theme I though I would go with snow camo for my army. My 2 questions are 1 in the fluff would cadians be deployed to a snow environment, and 2 is there a good snow camo tutorial out there that any one knows of.

Thanks for your time

Question 1 I believe is yes. I think the Imperial Guard would expected to able to deploy anywhere, and a highly sought after force such as as the Cadians will be used to fighting in any environment. Also FW did Snow Cadians to showcase their hostile environment kit (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Cadian_Shock_Troops/CADIAN_HOSTILE_ENVIRONMENT_TROOPS_CONVERSION_SET.html)

As for 2, I would like to see some good snow camo examples and tutorials, as well.

well, coming from real world Army experience.(retired Ranger) our Snow camo was, well, white. just white. not the white/grey/black you see on pants/coats in the military surplus store.

the good news, it's easy to paint.

the not-so-good news, it's not that dynamic.

if you go the white route, paint the uniform white. paint the flack armour(including Helmet) light grey to break up the white a bit. and paint the boots, gear, and weapons in regular guard colors(or whatever colors your SW pouches and stuff are to tie them in to the army, visually)

the "camo" pattern, just as easy. paint it white as above. then break it up with a medium grey in patches. fianlly, break that up even further with smaller black patches. be sure the black gets on the white base too, or it will look off.

this is a youtube tutorial.

http://youtu.be/bR_8q_a8q6E

Any military force can be deployed anywhere at any time under any conditions and expect to perform, so yes, Cadians in the snow is as normal as can be. Granted, they'll generally be wearing great coats and thick hats, just like, well, Valhallans, because otherwise you're just sending your men out to die.

Those FW models are probably not snow, but more like salt plains or some other hostile environment, considering the lack of cold-weather gear. Fatigues will only take you so far. ;)

To start with the right look, you can go with Wargames Factory Greatcoat models. Just swap the arms and heads and you're good to go. A quick Google search will then give you assorted real-world camo schemes that are easy to replicate. If you want to see what other's have done, adding "cadian" to the same search will give you probably exactly what you're looking for.

a great tip, paint the hands in a leatherlike/black colour to represent gloves! as most painters forgo this and paint them in a skin colour, which, while looking good, seems highly unpractical. the standard cadian gear can easely pass as snow proof clothing though.

I always thought they were super insulated or something else 'futuristic'.

Tbh you could paint them in any camo and give them snow bases. Chances are the regiment wasn't told they were dropping onto Hoth during Christmas.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I am trying to stick with gw models, but the Valhallan one aren't that stellar and dkok with green stuff hats would be wicked pricey. Plus I have a bunch of cadian guys already. I figured that in the grim dark far future they sorted out how to keep warm without a coat like demon said

thanks Seahawk for the camo schemes link that will help figure colors

thanks for the tutorial video furioso that help sort me out as well.

I like the gloves idea hendrik that's a good one.

@ fibonacci that is hilarious and might get incorporated...

This is my first stab at my snow camouflage paint job, let me know what you think

All constructive c and c welcome

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/127082-20140427-194025

Couldn't figure out how to post the pic, odd because there used to be a button for it but now I can't seem to find it.

For the most part I think its a good start, there's just not enough white for my tastes.  With so much blue and black, I think he would be pretty easy to spot moving around.  IMHO I would increase the white, and cut back on the blue.

If your a little bit skilled with greenstuff its VERY easy to make winterized cadians.

Al you have to do is create fur like colars around the arms , lower part of the jacket and around the next , or raised as a hood, a guy on te warseer has an army like this, but you can also find pictures through google pictures

Search for Winter Drogans

Archived