73rd Helion Mechanized Regiment. UPDATE: Knight Titan

Something I've had in the works for a little bit, I figured I'd get the input of you guys on what started as a Necromunda kill team and has become a full on army project. 

The force as it stands is mechanized infantry with a full infantry platoon in the works for some general self propelled sandbag action to go with my Wall of Martyrs project.

The two group shots, Armored and Infantry. 

Armored Group

Infantry Group

And the link to the rest in the gallery. 

Thoughts? Ideas for additions? Comments on what could be done to improve the army?

Fantastic army! They always start small but good to see the end result :D Once you go Guard there's no going back ;)

I love the colour scheme you've got, the camouflage pattern looks really good. I did spot a few barrels that needed drilling though, and I'm sure you can add a few more artillery pieces to your collection... :P

Fantastic army! They always start small but good to see the end result biggrin.png Once you go Guard there's no going back msn-wink.gif

I love the colour scheme you've got, the camouflage pattern looks really good. I did spot a few barrels that needed drilling though, and I'm sure you can add a few more artillery pieces to your collection... tongue.png

Yea... once I started it kinda snowballed to where it is, but the same thing happened with one of my marine armies, started as a painting challenge where I was told to paint a marine based in Charcaradon Granite 10k+ points later I have 2 companies of Raptors and the start of a 3rd.

As far as barrels go... I have a confession to make, I haven't drilled out a barrel on TT level mini since 1998. I understand the "it makes it look better factor" but when your looking at stuff on the tabletop in a game, no one notices. As far as arty goes, I have one more Basilisk with a scratch built armored compartment to paint but i'm thinking i'll just scratch that and add in a couple armored ones from FW when I order my Conquerors and Vulture.

@+DAN+

thanks, there are better/closer images of individual squads in the galley if you want to dissect them biggrin.png

It will probably be a few weeks before I post up more stuff.  I start training for a new job soon and that is going to eat up all the time(and I ran out of guardsmen to build for the platoon). 

The plan as it stands is to order up the FW goodies and then get those and the platoon hammered out.  Two squads are painted but I'm not sure if I like them.  They are standard grey fatigues w/shadow grey flak armor and I'm not sure if I want to keep that or try and do a whole platoon in camo.  The plan was camo for the veterans/stormtroopers but i'm having second thoughts and may come up with a different(simpler) scheme for the bulk troopers.  I also have a Xenos project in metallic green to finish, 20 or so marines for my raptors, and a couple non 40k armies to paint up so they may be my break from urban camo.

Fantastic work!

The CCS medic...the commissar lord and his camo pants...CCS 2's Primaris (I have a couple of WHFB battle wizards to do too. I had t thought of using the crystal ball. Nice!)...and I love your repurposing of that Ork flyer: something I've wanted to do too, to make a dedicated IG fighter that looked a bit F-86 Saber-like.

I wasn't complaining about it. I loved it! :)

But - mod hat on - perhaps it's best purged, unless you could say it counted as some kind of Imperial flyer.

And yes: good luck with the new job, and build more armour! ;)

i'm sure no moderator will mind a lovely imperial fighter conversion that happens to be based upon an ork kit. heck, orks loot so that means the original fighter was likely an imperial one,  just orkified!

I checked with the other staff and, as your flyer was clearly an Imperial vehicle (though based on a xenos model), it was A-OK.

...so, when you have time...if you don't mind...please post more images of it biggrin.png

Thats a nice looking army you got there. I like the camo, especially the snipers, did you use a airbrush for it? How about waiting two days and vow the rest for the Imperial cause in the ETL.

By the way I saw that you where playing Raven Guard decendants, and it got me thinking, do the name Helion derive from the awesome BL book Helion Rain, or is it just one of those coincidencessmile.png

• 2 weeks later...

In the quest for forgiveness from WarriorFish,

WIP on the next Basilisk, Basecoated with Mechanicus Standard/Boltgun Metal followed with a wash of Agrax Earthshade and coincidentally now an hour plus into ensuring it dry(its not).

WIP Basilisk 2

A couple more infantry, plus the start of some Spec Opps themed Stormtroopers

2014 05 04 17 54 45 554

And the next item of "armor" I'm going to be adding to the collection.

2014 05 11 12 30 05 416

Hopefully the Basilisk will be done later today, its going to have a more fresh off the assembly line/camoed up fast feel I think that the other one just to show the slightly more veteran idea of this force. 

Dry brushed Mechanicus Standard armor, Chainmail tracks and barrel. Rakarth Flesh Basecoat on the ammo tin, and stowage

WIP Basilisk 3

Finished out the barrels with a dry brush of Mithril Silver, Rakarth Flesh/Catacan Green mix with an Althonian Camoshade on the stowage/ammo tin. Enchanted Blue/'ard Coat on the lenses.

WIP Basilisk 4

Total time so far 4 hours(1.5 of that being dry time on the previous shade).

Camo is TBD. Not sure if I want it stock factory as it is or if I'm going to add an "oh censored.gif " camo coat on it. I know camo looks cool but breaking it up with some "new" tanks helps with painting them and adds to the veteran feel I'm going for with the force. That and there are going to be approximately 5-6 new Leman Russ tanks and a squadron of Hellhounds added at some point to give some more firepower that are going to be camoed wallbash.gif . Maybe time to invest in a spray gun for basecoats.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been made.  Knight Reinforcement inbound. 

Army Painter Alien Purple and Platemail basecoats.  First time using their sprays and I am impressed.  I may have found a faster way to basecoat some of my armies.

Knight Titan WIP Purple

Knight Titan WIP Silver

Knight Titan WIP Silver2

Mockup after the spray dried.

Knight Titan WIP Mockup

Finished for today. 

Knight Titan WIP 2

Knight Titan WIP 1

I am thinking I may redo the shoulder pauldrons and faceplate in white.  Suggestions on that please, I can't make up my mind.  Otherwise I'm happy with how this is coming out.  Goal is to finish before the 21st of June so I can field this bad boy with the rest of my Imperium in an Apoc event. 

Archived