Early Days

Sanguine_Knight

I hope this is the proper forum for this question. 

I have been entertaining the idea of writing about the earliest days of my DIY chapter. The reason is twofold. One, I believe it will make a good story and Two, I think it will help me flesh them out for a later IA article. 

My question is this: When the HLOT/Mechanicus turn a new chapter loose, what is its structural orginization. Are the Battle Brothers still scouts with the exception of the training cadre or has there been sufficient time to give them enough experience to become full Astartes. It doesn't seem practical to send out nearly 1000 initiates, even though a Space Marine Scout is still better than a regular human. 

I scrounged the site for any relevant information but all I found was a thread that presented several theories but nothing definitive. It soon devolved into a discussion about how many Marines are allowed to be in a Chapter. I do not need that information nor do I want to discuss how many are in the training cadre or how the command structure is initially formed. My Chapter will be based on a homeworld so what I want to know is, what is a Chapter's makeup when it is sent from where it is created(presumably Mars) and initially trained to said homeworld. I would also like to know if the initial recruits for the Chapter are taken from the homeworld that has been designated for them.

I would appreciate any useful information.

Thanks   

SK

I believe a new chapter stands up with fully trained battle brothers, a full command structure and working scout company, adequate tanks, weapons etc. It takes hundreds of years to create a new functional chapter.

Not sure where I got this info from, but I remember it from somewhere, I will try to track down the source.

Since I doubt there is a definitive answer just make your own answer. If I were to write about an early chapter I'd assume all 1000 marines were shiney and new. None lost yet, just out of indoctrination ready to take on all comers. I'd also assume they all came from their homeworld as I doubt any other chapter would let them be made out of their own supply of recuits.

I like the 1000 new shiny Marines idea but maybe the 1st company takes awhile to fill out as the Chapter gains experience. Let a guy get a few heroic deeds under his belt and then he is marked for advancement. its possible that a few of the Marines from the PArent Chapter would be present, but I can't imagine any Chapter being able to give away 100 Marines. But maybe. Its just 10 from each company

I agree that the command structure would already be intact and created from the parent chapter, along with the 1st Company. There is a nice story about a DIY chapter called the Judicators (I can't remember the name of the guy who created them). Anyway, his IA includes the story of how a brother of the Libators chapter came to be selected to take command of a new chapter. This character took a few select comrades with him, along with some gifted gear and ships from the Libators and then formed the Judicators chapter from new recruits. I'm sure you will find it if you google Judicators fluff. Might give you some of the answers you're looking for.

Thanks. I'll check it out. This has been a helpful discussion. The other thread I started for this brought out some angry guy who just wanted to berate everyone about their opinions on the subject. I really just wanted to get some insight as to what the Chapter's makeup would be at its initial inception. I think there is more than one possibility and that maybe circumstances may dictate a lot of how it actually goes down. 

Archived