Mephiston Mini - It begins.

Blindhamster

Hey Guys, some of you may or may not know of my blog in the Painting forums, but if you don't I ask that you go checkout the thread here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/262209-blood-angels-blog/page-8

I appreciate suggestions and ideas!

Anyway, I thought I'd make a distinct post in the BA forums as I've not done one in quite a long time :)

I've begun work on a custom Mephiston, it's very early days currently, but here you go:

managed to get out at a reasonable time tonight and get a bit of work done on my custom Mephiston... I'm using various other peoples work, the classic model and the art from the limited ed novella as well as the codex as inspiration for him. I opted for a fairly static pose on him as it makes him look a touch more inspiring - and I'm hoping he regains IC status whenever I get a new book, I may use him as a Praetor for heresy era games though :P

anyway, VERY early currently, a lot of decisions to be made so I'm hoping I can get some input from people.

med_gallery_14877_7794_15676.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_100546.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_110525.jpg

I have ordered the Blood Crusher Champion sword which will get some sculpting work done on it to make Vitarus. The head is from the Lord Executioner, torso and legs are a hacked up astorath model...

I'm pretty set on the use of the left arm, it'll mean Vitarus is in a fairly relaxed pose, likewise I'm happy with the head choice, which maintains the class gaunt look.

right arm is troubling me though... currently thats part of the Dark Vengeance Librarian arm and will give him a casting type pose... I could alternatively look at doing the right arm with a plasma pistol aiming, not sure which plasma pistol model I'd use though. OR I could go for the classic 2nd ed pose and have him wiping his mouth with his wrist?

I'll be giving him the proper mephiston coat (as it's iconic and without it, the model just looks too much like astorath. I'll be sculpting different knees (like the ones seen on the novella artwork) I'll be adding a lot of detail to the gauntlets (again to match the novella if I go for casting or shooting, if I go for wiping mouth, both arms will get gloves like classic model and art).

What about the 'skirt'? Do I go for one that'll cover most of the detail on the legs? or do I go for one that has it slightly open, again like the novella artwork? both have benefits so I really don't know! Both shoulder pads will be sculpted, I did consider using astoraths left pad for Mephistons right, but it's actually very skinny. His hair will be sculpted once I've worked out the detail of the signature psychic hood.

anyway, suggestions and help are welcome, as well as alternative right arm and base suggestions!

Cheers

yeah, the thigh gap is a little large, and it's true that the base model basically doesn't have a butt lol

I'll look at beefing up his thighs a bit, I was considering beefing his calf muscles up a bit too, as compared to my dante, his legs are all round, pretty scrawny, just undecided in how much work should go into the legs, really depends on how much of them I plan to have on display I guess?

Thanks guys :) the positive initial response is very encouraging!

So, I've been asked to give regular progress updates on Mephiston, that is a good idea, they will show only small bits of progress for now as 1) I've only got little points I can work on him, and 2) I'm getting the basics of the legs done, as I cannot do the skirt/coat till they're done.

K&F specifically mentioned the legs, looking at them, I feel he was right, but hopefully these progress shots are better. please let me know.

med_gallery_14877_7794_93899.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_80276.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_37577.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_5643.jpg

I'll be adding a rim on the right knee, smoothing out the outer thighs some more, and may add a bit more bulk to the crotch still. the rims of the knee will probably get little spikes on them too, but we'll see!

In other news... my blood crusher champion sword arrived... I underestimated just how large it was, so I now need alternative suggestions? The weapon needs to have at least a similar shape to Mephistons sword, I considered sergeant Lorenzos from space hulk, but its 1) a limited ed model and 2) not pointy enough.

Suggestions?

cheers :)

so... sword options... here are a few... thoughts? or other suggestions?:

http://www.modelbits.co.uk/images/chaos_daemons_bloodletters_hellblade.jpghttp://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/767346726604.jpghttp://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/scourgerunner%20(8).JPGhttp://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/blackguard%20(5).JPG

The third one comes with a glove so it might make your job easier. Runes look really nice too but I'm not sure about the hilt. The second one is quite nice as well. The first one his too big and the last one looks downright goofy with that skull. I would go with the third one and get rid of the snakes somehow.

The runes on sword3 are either too xeno or delightfully retro, depending on your point of view. I like sword4 (that's a Dark Elf Executioner greatsword, right?), including the skull, but I do think the skull will take some adjusting to tie it better into a 40k aesthetic. Sword2 requires the least work, but 4 is my vote.

From the options, my favourite is the hellblade, of them all I think it maintains the closest resemblance to the classic sword, I'd use the classic, except it's incredibly fat, and looks pretty out of place compared to swords from FW or even the new plastics.

Anyway, for tonights progress, I've sculpted the skirt. Please note that this progress is pretty small and very rough, it's done the same way as the cloaks on my sternguard, using a mix of milliput and green stuff, so I'll be carving into it and sanding it once it's cured, it's not even begun to dry in the following pictures and I'll probably spend some more time on it. But for reference, I've been working on it for about an hour, I let it cure a bit once rough shapes are done, then go at it again, then repeat.

Now onto pictures:

med_gallery_14877_7794_101013.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_63005.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_152828.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_95199.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_145783.jpg

cheers :)

What part milliput to greenstuff do you use? I would love to be able to do that!

With ref to the thicker sword, I did an Abaddon conversion recently using his original weapons so I know what you mean the blades are quite thick/blunt edged. What about buying a Sgt. Lorenzo if you haven't one already and casting it? Otherwise Hellblade is my fave ;)

Hi Midnight, I use roughly a 50:50 mix of the two, and i use vaseline to work it rather than water, it takes quite a lot of working then waiting then working again to get a decent finish, but thanks to being able to sand it, it can be further adjusted afterward. Hopefully that helps.

I do indeed have Lorenzo, I'd considered cutting his sword off, but couldnt bring myself to do it, and I'm no good with casting sadly... It was certainly the first sword I thought of as well though.

Anyway, here he is with some tidying done to the robes whilst it was still wet (but after I took the last pics) It still needs to be washed and smoothed out. I've added arms to give an idea of the pose I'm going to go with. The arms will get quite a bit of resculpting.

med_gallery_14877_7794_124025.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_172909.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_192486.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_74678.jpg

Archived