Using space wolf codex for other forces acceptable?

Fury_of_Fenris

Hi sons of russ, basically in a nutshell Ive been torn between 30k and 40k, ive decided to model a 30k force on the sons of hours beore they went all traitor and chaosy

After deciding to model a sons of horus force, ive decided that I want to use a codex that follows the silly codex astartes the least, as well for modelling reasons I am in no need for modern style equipment to make the force authentic

Im looking for a infantry force and my question to everyone is this acceptable? to use the codex to make a sons of horus force? would people play it or is this a non-issue?

I guess the issue is that 30k armies are balanced to play against other 30k armies so a lot of people would probably refuse to play against a SoH Legion army using FW rules with their 40k codex list. That said, I'm really not sure how the SW codex represents SoH any better than the SM or hell, the CSM codex as long as you don't take certain units. I mean none of the special SW stuff really makes any sense for a SoH force, whereas things like Vanguard and Sternguard do.

if your using a 40k codex with the 40k rules set, then you don't need to justify to me why your sons of horus are counts as space wolves. as long as its legal we're all good mate. on the other hand if you were trying to use it with the 30k rules then we might have a problem.

The rules for 40K units don't really take any of the organizational methods or units of 30K into account whatsoever. None of the 40K rule books are entirely appropriate to use for 30K if you are trying to accurately model a 30K force.

That said, you can shoe-horn a lot of things together in 40K to "represent" certain armies. But they will be 40K armies, not 30K ones.

As far as people playing it, that's really up to each individual opponent to decide. I'm pretty flexible on the WYSIWYG concept, others aren't. There really isn't going to be a way anyone could make a blanket "Sure, that's acceptable" type statement.

What is it that draws you to the SW dex for your Luna wolves

You wouldnt be using a lot of the SW units that are beasts as that is not a really a thing in other legions, the sharing in name wolves does not reflect in the two legions.

The GH's are real good and would fit a 30K style army but other than that we lack a lot of stuff from the normal dex

I actually have a friend doing the same thing for his Luna Wolves and there seem to be some good comparisons. I mean tournament-wise you might have issues with a counts-as force, but if you're just playing in a friendly game, as long as you make them aware of what's what (and are willing to answer a lot of questions throughout the game) I don't see any issues with it.

Archived