Sevatar

I haven't yet. I do like Jump Packs. I plan on magnetizing all my future destroyers packs. Under certain circumstances I'll take one or the other depending. If I know I'm doing a raid mission as an attacker i'll opt for the LR for survivability and to make sure my stuff comes in and my opponent has trouble bringing his in. Since some mission defenders forces replenish in reserves while attackers don't. The longer they stay there the better. Of if it's a normal mission and I know I'll be facing high firepower lists like IH or DG Reaping.

My usual go-to is 6x combi-flamers and 4x combi-meltas (I bought some Anvil Industries Alpha Strikers and the proper magnets. They came with all the parts for combi-weapons so I can swap them out as needed. I recommend them.) They can take on a large variety of targets. It also depends on what the rest of my list has. If I'm taking two Lightning fighters with four turbo-krakens each then I'll either do all flamers if I'm against a notorious foot-slog army or 6 flamers and 4 plasma if there's a variety of 2+ saves and, in a pinch, light vehicles.

I think non-combi weapons can work if they have a transport. I do usually put them inside a Darkwing it's just that mine are all modeled with combi-weapons so I run them as that.

A Mor Deythan sniper squad are also good in my book. I tried them out a few times and they worked well.

thats awesome to hear. I might use some for an objective camper. especially now that they score. Thanks for answering questions btw! =D

are the dark wings effective flyers? they seem to be a little mediocre on paper with the blinding weapon and just look like they cost so many points.

No problem.

PotMS and 3+ Jink keeps them supporting your ground troops while carting them around. Plus it can be taken by Terminators and Vets as a DT. You end up paying 25 points more but Stealth and Outflank are quite good. The missile launcher may have lost a S and AP but blind and concussive are nice. Especially when fighting AdMech automata.

My go to now as far as models I have is my contemptor with a chainfist inside an anvillus. I don't give any of my units MBs. My future plan is to acquire some lighting fighters and load them with kraken penetrator missiles. Deepstrike them next to Maun for perfect placement.

Chainfist, DCCW, usually with x2 plasma blasters. Last game it dropped down, moved flat out behind a ruin. Then moved in behind a medusa squadron, blew one up from the plasma and punched the rest into the ground.

325 for everything. What you get is a pod that can safely drop down someplace far. Perhaps withing Mauns' 18" bubble. Can flat out 18", then next turn move 6", the dread disembarks 6" more then charges 2-12" with fleet. It comes down turn one and almost guarantees a turn 2 charge. That is a huge threat bubble that is easy to synergize with. It can jink for a 4+ or drop down/flat out behind a ruin in case of Sicarans. Plus Turn two your reserves come in, and if they're deep-striking and you have Maun it can make for a well orchestrated strike.

Lol. sounds cool, but a little expensive for my taste. Then again in 30k it seems everything costs 300 pts :p

Also my thoughts on when you go combi vs standard special weapon depends on load out. 

For example in a mixed flamer melta squad, the rending turn is most likely going to be used on the flamers. The melta, you most likely want to use on another turn. So buying the specials let's you use them on them "flamer" turn as well. Which makes them worth the extra points IMO

But I really only think it makes sense to buy meltas as special instead of combis. This is all assuming you are alpha striking them. 

If you are mixing in weapons with snipers I can see the appeal of special weapon plasmas instead of combis as well. 

The final concept that might be worth it is 2 specials in a rhino. 

Yep, it has Drop Pod Assault.

Anything in it would be good really. I would shy away from DF because you can only take 5 unless you take a Karybdis. That is a bit much. 8 inside a Darkwing sounds better IMHO. Terminators wouldn't be bad. I opt for the Contemptor because it's resilient.

Yeah. AV 13 walkers are a biotch is 30k... 

Have you tried the double kheres assault cannon in the pod? I feel like you could just stay inside and just bounce around shooting. 

In general how do you use your dark wings?

Do you come in via Deepstrike into hover mode? Deepstrike into fly mode? Outflank into hover mode? Outflank into flying mode? Regular reserves into hover? Regular reserves into flying mode?

I'm pretty sure you can't assault from an assault vehicle in any of the situations, but you could potentially disembark and shoot, which I think makes sense a lot of the time. 

Although if you want to assault out of the vehicle it becomes a tricky choice. If you come in flying, you could get shot out of the sky and lose the whole squad, but you are harder to hit. If you come in hover mode your squad is pretty safe but your bird is likely to get shot down. 

Thoughts?

It really depends on the state of the battlefield. If there's a lot of AA then hover might be safer so long as you can avoid other AT fire. Same goes for deep striking vs flying on. It really comes down to each situation and risk s reward. I avoid outflanking unless I have Corax. If I have a way to deliver it effectively, like Maun, and expect a target to get within 18" then I'll deep strike. Maybe in hover and close enough to FATAL STRIKE something juicy. But, again, it will really come down to each situation. Flexibility and adapting it one of RG's MO.

I like the sound of it none-the-less. a nice fast hitting transport.

So a while ago I thought of a loadout for vet tacts of twoheavy bolters, sniper USR and a rhino. it is like 250pts but it seems like a good load out on paper. you infiltrate up and then pop out and dish out the heavy fire. could also work wit melta and tank hunter right?

Yeah, it could. Though you only have 2 Meltas in that Setup Right?

Another thing to consider is 10 vets with 2 Heavy Bolter and the Fearless USR as late game Objective Cappers.

If you're going aggro with them consider Heavy Flamers as well. Not sure how that would interact with Sniper if at all but Fearless is still a good option if Sniper doesn't work out. Gear them up for CC and slap on Furious Charge and you've got : FC, Fleet, Infiltrate and Scout(?) all on one unit. Pow Right in the Kisser!

Edited by Slipstreams

What do you guys run for just basic mandatory troops?

It strikes me that getting camoline in on a big troop unit in cover is one of the best troop options in the game, but it requires an IC. 

So Maun + 20 tacs + serge with articifer and a apothecary with articifer. Maybe melta bombs? Thoughts? 

Or do you try to do small 10 man units to hide maun and cheap it cheap. 

Also what do you do for the second mandatory troop unit?