Manticore Chapter WIP

Dunno if it's any good to you...

Just a quick mock up done in Paint so feel free to play with it if it doesn't suit?

Edit: Deleted from photobucket, which broke link

Yeah, you're not wrong mate. Trouble is it's a human head so how do you make a silhouette of that more scary? Was going to add 'big, sharp, pointy teeth' but figured that's getting a bit complex for a simple shoulder badge outline. Bigger versions (like Chapter banner, etc) would presumably be a lot more scary.

Anywhoo, it's there to play with if LM wants it.

laugh.png No worries, it was about 5 mins of work (or mucking about instead of working) and I'm certainly no artist. [shrug]

That said, it does show that it is worth thinking about how you'd get a simple, identifiable and menacing outline of a Manticore though. Especially one that you can actually paint on a shoulder pad 6mm across.

What if you just went with the scorpion tail? It's simple and direct, and you don't have to bother with there being an issue with the rest of the scorpion or the non-threatening Manticore silhouette.

laugh.png No worries, it was about 5 mins of work (or mucking about instead of working) and I'm certainly no artist. [shrug]

That said, it does show that it is worth thinking about how you'd get a simple, identifiable and menacing outline of a Manticore though. Especially one that you can actually paint on a shoulder pad 6mm across.

yea it dont exactly easy

What if you just went with the scorpion tail? It's simple and direct, and you don't have to bother with there being an issue with the rest of the scorpion or the non-threatening Manticore silhouette.

i like that idea

just don't have the red background unless you wish to Nod to a few inspirations msn-wink.gif

o of course

For a chapter called the Manticores I'd go with just the tail, or a claw like the Brazen Talons have, or maybe a mouth like the World Eaters and Flesh Eaters. Trying to get the whole Manticore in there will get busy.

that could work too

• 3 weeks later...

yea i figured i could use some cool bits from the Red Scorpions and such for modeling. also, who/what faction is your avatar pic of?

Some small commission work could be looked into, i had visions of open faced half helm in the style of a lions mane and scorpion tail mouldings on various weapons and so on.

My avatar is my Executioners veteran, Sgt Grimm.

• 5 months later...

i now have a direction for this.  a recent idea that i realized worked better when integrated here. so the Manticores will become a tryannid fighting chapter after a battle with said xenos. and they will have a chapter barque/star fort fortress monastery.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/299505-looking-for-suggestions-on-2-ideas/

Wait really? thats lame

The 40k gets stagnant right around the time the game is actually set and by stagnant I mean "standing so still statues start to look like amateurs".

I don't know if it's 40K's fault that the Tau didn't exist until 2001 and had to be written into the game to explain where this brand new empire came from and had never been heard of until then. msn-wink.gif

That's actually kind of the exact opposite thing of stagnation. 3rd Edition made Dark Eldar and Tau appear out of thin air, heh.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived