=][= E Tenebrae Lux III =][=

=][= SEVENTH WEEKLY UPDATE =][=

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2014_Poster_V6.jpg

Well, we’ve passed the mid-point of the event and we are now firmly in the second half. The ETL III is going from strength to strength with the factions competing fiercely for the top position! Completions increased by 23% on a weekly basis and the 100k barrier is now long gone…

Overall it appears that the leading group is now defined by those who have crossed the 20k level, namely AoD (at above 30k), BTs and Chaos. The DAs are now staying behind, effectively leading the middle group of between 10k and 20k comprising of the DAs themselves and the HH faction… The third group is the sub-10k which is led by the Forces of the Imperium and also contains the BAs and the SWs.
Now are those differences so hard to overcome? No – not at all… If it took half the ETL to build them up, it may take the other half to reverse the situation. Procrastination and defeatism are the only real enemies here. So grab the brush and finish up your projects! And remember: It’s not over until it’s over!

Here are the usual metrics:

Total participants 421
Total vows: 542
Total points pledged: 448,980pts
Average vow: 828pts/vow
Total points completed: 117,059pts

So now let’s see what happened in week 7:

E TENEBRAE LUX III – Week 7

med_gallery_27176_9664_15390.jpg

So let’s see this one by one:

BLACK TEMPLARS [Participants: 67 / Vows: 94]
With a completion rate of 31% the BTs are maintaining their momentum – however some signs of fatigue start to appear. Total completed points increased by 4% on a weekly basis vs. 51% the week before! This lack of completions meant that they now rank 3rd overall behind Chaos and the AoD – albeit by a small margin. The average vow remains at 680pts, significantly lower than the ETL average but since their completion rate is significantly above that means that their ranking is amongst the highest in the event. What is crucial for them is to keep pace – something that is not evident this week...

ANGELS OF DEATH [Participants: 60 / Vows: 79]
The AoD have the highest completion rate in the event at 44%! Obviously this is greatly affected by the completion of mega-vow after mega-vow from Arizona but it seems that other factions are gradually stepping in for support. The IHs have a 71% completion rate with the IFs and the IA having a bit north of 20%. Now the question is where are the Salamanders, the Ultramarines and the White Scars? And come to think of it, the IFs and the IAs need to push harder too as their sub-forums have pledged the bulk of the faction’s points (excl. Arizona obviously) and their completion rates are just below the ETL average. Time for the Angels of Death to make a full attack!

BLOOD ANGELS [Participants: 37 / Vows: 45]
A great comeback! The BAs almost double their points this week, having the best performance of any other forum! Keep it like that and your ranking will improve substantially going forward. The major issue here remains the relatively small average vow – among the lowest in the ETL at 655pts. If new vows come in at a higher points’ value this is bound to improve but the major drive should be to complete as many first vows as possible. This should be less challenging compared to your rivals because of the relatively low average vow – that under this strategy will become an advantage!

DARK ANGELS [Participants: 59 / Vows: 76]
Oh dear… This has been a horrible week. Completions increased by only 9% on a weekly basis, the completion rate of 26% is spot on the average of the event and the average vow of 843pts is also close to the average of the event. That means an average performance. And it truly is: The DAs are now firmly in the 4th position out of the 8 factions of the ETL…I would like to offer some smart comments here but the bottom line is that DAs must start completing their vows – and erratic performance is never a good sign and the more we allow our rivals to build a distance the less of a chance we’ll have to cover it. NOW LET’S SEE SOME COMPLETIONS!

SPACE WOLVES [Participants: 31 / Vows: 36]
There was no progress on the completions front this week. That is unfortunate as the time in now becoming an issue. Also, the extremely low completion rate of 7% is not encouraging either and denotes a lack of momentum. I’ll offer the same advice as I did to the BAs: focus on completing your fist vows! There is no substitute for a high completion rate among the first vows and the relatively low average vow of 733pts should make this easier than it is for your rivals…You need to fight procrastination now that there is still time to deliver strong results!

REALM OF CHAOS [Participants: 61 / Vows: 80]
Chaos has something that sets it apart this year: momentum! They have risen to the second position behind the AoDs. The latter are in the first position but with their meag vows largely incorporated in their performance while Chaos mega-vows have yet to manifest. Even so though, the Chaos team has fantastic morale, a convoluted system of side vows and satellite events and creativity going through the roof! I think the potential is immense here – I just hope that it will not implode - in true Chaos fashion!

FORCES OF THE IMPERIUM [Participants: 46 / Vows: 58]
The Forces of the Imperium have had their best week so far, increasing their completions by 54% on a weekly basis! This creates a momentum that, if maintained, could see them touching the highest positions soon! The lowest average vow in the ETL at 593pts means that first vow completions (here at the mid-point of the event) should be forthcoming and in large quantities. So get those first vows done and you’ll see your ranking sky rocketing in the coming weeks. All you need to do is repeat this week’s performance!

HORUS HERESY [Participants: 60 / Vows: 74]
Good performance here as well, but…the completion rate is lower than the ETL average and with an average vow at par with the ETL average it creates a sense of fatigue…Still completions increased by 27% on a weekly basis and the overall morale runs high! I think that a breakthrough is required this coming week in order to send the completion rate closer to 30% - this would lead the HH forum to a position to threaten the top! Just keep the pace guys!

So until next week, keep your completions coming!!! biggrin.png

The zero-completions for the ultramarines is because for them, completing anything is Theoretical. msn-wink.gif

BTW Semper - the ETL is limited to five vows this year (something I didn't read and discovered just in time). The rules are the rules, and you are a strict but fair master .thumbsup.gif But, as a totally open question and to satisfy my endless curiosity: is this rule implemented to make things even more tense - restricting people from making endless small vows, thereby reducing the risk of them not completing their last vows while still being able to vow en enormous amount of points? Or is there another - more sinister drool.gif reason?

Edit: added the question.

I fear all of the rage the templar will be amassing after they discover chaos took 2nd place from them.  

they can rage as much as they want, nothn scary about a dude in an apron

The zero-completions for the ultramarines is because for them, completing anything is Theoretical. msn-wink.gif

BTW Semper - the ETL is limited to five vows this year (something I didn't read and discovered just in time). The rules are the rules, and you are a strict but fair master .thumbsup.gif But, as a totally open question and to satisfy my endless curiosity: is this rule implemented to make things even more tense - restricting people from making endless small vows, thereby reducing the risk of them not completing their last vows while still being able to vow en enormous amount of points? Or is there another - more sinister drool.gif reason?

Edit: added the question.

Well the 5 vow limit was there last year too... The only ETL that had no vow restriction was the first one. The experience was exactly the one you describe: in the closing moments of the ETL (I'm talking literally minutes before the deadline) some people were vowing and completing tons of single mini vows. This was perfectly witinin the rules and the spirit of the ETL at the time so I'm not being judgemental at all. It was what it was. But I thought we could improve on that...

By limiting the amount of vows to five in ETL II I achieved two targets: firstly it reduced the last minute anarchy and made my life considerably easier - especially as the amount of participants sky-rocketed. An uncontrolled amount of last minute vows would have delayed the final report for a couple of days more (to say the least). As it were the results came out at day after the end of the event... Secondly, it added another layer of "tactical" thinking, so people organised their stash beforehand, decided what they wanted to paint (or indeed buy) and when they'd do so etc. The game is more tense and the vows take a much more serious dimension. It was a succesful change and was carried over in ETL III.

I think the 5 vow limit is fine as on average the ETL participants vow less than two times (I think it's 1.7x). Also by keeping the amount of points per vow open (for now msn-wink.gif) it is no real constraint to those who want to make super-huge-mega-vows. As a point of reference, the term "mega-vow" has evolved from meaning a vow of 1k pts or more in ETL I to Emperor-knows-how-much in ETL III laugh.png

Cheers Semper for the elaborate answer. To clarify: I actually like the 5 vow limit - even though (or especially because of) I only have one left. It is as you say and adds another layer of tactical thinking for me: I now postponed finishing my 4th to make more time to build the models I want to vow in my 5th and last vow! 

Uprising, on 19 Jun 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:snapback.png

I fear all of the rage the templar will be amassing after they discover chaos took 2nd place from them.

they can rage as much as they want, nothn scary about a dude in an apron

Right, because guys in pink/don't shower are the first thing that comes to mind when people are thinking "Impress me!".

Pink is so last season

Ok, you owe me for another keyboard. I think you're up to three now.

Just keep a tally. I'm sure they'll be more to come ;)

Pink is so last season

Ok, you owe me for another keyboard. I think you're up to three now.

Just keep a tally. I'm sure they'll be more to come msn-wink.gif

Yeah, that way he can buy in bulk to get a discount. Oh, and since pink is "so last season", they'll likely be pink as the price will be further reduced.

*mental image of Black Templar using a tiny little pink dataslate*

blink.png

Semper! I finally read EVERYTHING in the original post and I have two new questions:

1. Concerning the 5 vow limit imposed this year. Do all participants who do five vows get the Badge of [Faction] Champion when they finish them all?

2. You did say this was an example, but do I detect an actual penance vow from the pen of the ETL Emperor himself?

I Captain Semper vow that if the Dark Angels forum scores less than the Chaos forum I’ll paint Cypher!

The Badge of the Champion is reserved for the participant who delivers the most points of each faction. It has nothing to do with the number of vows but with the number of points... Also the 5 vow limit was also there last year. ;)

As for the latter, it's an example AND an actual penance vow... You'll see it in the DA Strategium too. :)

Archived