=][= E Tenebrae Lux III =][=

@Polythemus. If you look at the majority of vows you will find the extremely high value ones to be rare. Also, some people have been stock piling since last year's ETL. Most people though used it as motivation to paint a couple of new bits for a current army or to start the core of a new one. From what I have gotten from Semper over the years, that is the core idea behind it all. Personally, mission succeeded.

The majority of vower's would be uneffected by a time limit on vows. A time limit mostly effects mega vows. I think we need to as a community consider how much we want to have money effect the outcome of this competition. I will go on record as never ever, willing to vow 10000+ points, because of how it would effect my financial situation, how it would affect my family, and how it would effect my enjoyment of something that I consider a very part time pursuit. As I said before though, its your time its your money, do as you please. 

My 5k vow this year was a culmination of two years of buying spread out, and not competing in last years ETL. I can't imagine the amount of money it takes to vow 27k worth. My largest army is BT and if I field everything and my titans I only have about 20k worth, which I have been collecting since they came out!!

My other armies are nowhere even close.

It is a major hats off to those guys. I though 5k was a big deal, but not anymore. I was going off the only ETL I was, which was the first. I think BT made a major show of it, but may have to be rolled into AoD to make it a competition. I mean just thinking about painting 27k worth is mind boggling over three months.

This was an amazing competition brothers. I am still in awe going through all the pictures. Beautiful.

I know a time limit could have seriously impacted me. It took me till the 23rd of june to finish my first vow, (just a heldrake) and that was without any real life issues getting in the way. I am just really slow at painting vehicles and that was my first time with hazard stripes. However, the fact that I had vowed it kept me going back at it almost every day for the short time I have to paint.

Thanks to Master Semper for organizing such event.

It's a huge work and I can't be less than admirative when seeing someone dealing so nice with a task of that size...

Thanks again.

After my 1200pts completion this year, I've managed to quasi double my participation this year.

Thanks to you and the guys of DA forums, I'm even closer of my complete company goal.

Congrats to everybody and particularly those mega oath makers. See you next year!

I'm with Teetengee on the time-limit-per-vow issue. Part of the fun of the ETL is the strategy of vowing something huge and then being able to secure it with consecutive vows in the later stages of the event. A time limit per vow would take away that part of the event. In the end, who cares about super mega vows anyway? It's their choice, plus it would be impossible to make the ETL completely 'fair' with SWs and BAs having their own forum. I believe the ETL is mostly about challenging yourself on your wn terms (and the ETL restrictions), about the community and about fun. :tu:

I like the group shot idea: here's my five vows together (already posted in the Chaos forum a couple of weeks ago)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/temporary_zps78e60aad.jpg

To start I will add to the chorus singing Semper's praises as this is really the crown jewel event of the forum.

That vow of mine was a challenge and I relished it; gathering, preparing, converting, and ordering those last few bits over the last year. If you look at the last event I ended up painting more points of stuff I did not vow than I did vowed Guard, so I did not really do that much more than before; it's just that almost all of it counted this time. I have loads of stuff to paint as I have been playing since '89 means the accumulation of loads of things that just never seem to ever see a paint brush, a situation only made worse by those tempting eBay deals. Because of this event, it is a great opportunity for me to push myself and actually paint them up so I am happy with them. Something about being under the gun and having to really strain yourself to achieve your goal really does help. Looking at my stuff I can tell you that without this huge vow to kick me in the pants I can honestly say that only eight of the Bloodthirsters would have gotten painted and maybe the Blood Angels Plague Marines this Summer. A few other Dornian models might have eventually seen paint, one day.

Besides, there were only three of us who actually were crazed enough to shoot so high in one vow and two others who eventually vowed enough to join the five digit club, so it was not so much a disruptive factor as a few lunatics with more models than sense. I also think that a handful of these vows might actually be a good thing for the event as it seems to energize the forum as others take heart from seeing the massive vow and might even vow a little more than they would have otherwise. Perhaps even rival forums hear of the large vows and redouble their efforts with extra ZEAL to combat these, not that there is a fanatical forum of black armored Marines around here or anything rolleyes.gif.

I will admit that I am not happy with a few of the models; five actually - I'm looking at you Bloodcrushers, but that had more to do with the model than the effort. I got so frustrated with those five metal Juggernauts that I nearly took the black spray paint to them and called them Black Templars, I hated painting them so much (Templar water slide transfers would have followed). This would not have changed had they been the only models I vowed. Still they are done forever and no further work will go into them unless someone says I need to base them for an event or something (really the only time I ever base anything, so perhaps we need a basing challenge). Even then I probably would still not field them out of spite so they remain unbased tongue.png. Or perhaps if some professional painter wishes to practice their Golden Daemon level painting standard out on them for free (yeah right) I might let them get repainted (again more spite, and yes I play Iron Warriors).

On the positive side I ended up painting a unit I did not vow because I was worried it would have been too hard for me. Instead those six Flamers are one of my favorite paint jobs. Combined with the fact that there are loads of minis that will never need to see a paint brush again and I think this was a great challenge that ended with me asking only one question:

"What do I paint next year?"

Now I need to go make fun of the templars, and pray to the 6th god of chaos: steve.  

What for?  We came just shy of beating the rest of our Codex all put together!  If anything, you should be thanking your false gods that we didn't want to work with them. ;)

Angels of Death and Black Templars should be merged for the next ETL as they are a single Codex now, basically? Or Chaos divided amongst daemons, cultist and actual chaos SMs! :P That's tooootally unbiased, of course...

Angels of Death and Black Templars should be merged for the next ETL as they are a single Codex now, basically? Or Chaos divided amongst daemons, cultist and actual chaos SMs! tongue.png That's tooootally unbiased, of course...

Burn the heretic!

Now I need to go make fun of the templars, and pray to the 6th god of chaos: steve.

What for? We came just shy of beating the rest of our Codex all put together! If anything, you should be thanking your false gods that we didn't want to work with them. msn-wink.gif

Just having a little fun, beside I plan on doing a tribute to the templar for there zeal and banter.

Angels of Death and Black Templars should be merged for the next ETL as they are a single Codex now, basically? Or Chaos divided amongst daemons, cultist and actual chaos SMs! tongue.png That's tooootally unbiased, of course...

If it makes you feel better, I may be looking at another forum as while I have yet more Chaos to point, there is plenty of other stuff for me to paint. I mean I have the contents of Stormclaw only just now coming off the sprue and have some 3,500 points of Space Wolves, plus Leman Russ, in dire need of a repaint. There is also a company worth of a DIY chapter left to be repainted as Red Scorpions, more Guard (because there is always more), some Mechanicus, about 1,200 points of Grey Knights, another 1,000 points of Sisters, and a small handful of Blood Angels.

As for modifying the forums, I think the Guard, Sisters, Grey Knights, and general Mechanicum should not only be counted together as one, but also allow participants in any one of those to vow any of them, much like the Heresy forum get Mechanicus plus the Legions, Codex Marines gets all other Chapters except Black Templars and those with their own codex, and Chaos gets their chaotic grab bag. Also there should be an Angry Marine ETL thread, but is not allow to vow points that count, just to make them angry about it laugh.png.

I also noticed that of the combined 306 pages of the ETL individual forum threads, 101 pages of them came from the Chaos one alone. It seemed that the more talkative forums were also the most productive.

Why don't we put all the heretics on one side (which includes the gues'va) and all the loyalists on the other. Then when the Imperium falls, there will be no petty excuses to hear your cries. ;)

Although I only measure true victory if the chaos painted numbers outpoints the imperial ones. (alternatively, as in my second penance vow, the guard have sufficient infiltrators (darkapostle) that they don't count against us.)

To start I will add to the chorus singing Semper's praises as this is really the crown jewel event of the forum.

That vow of mine was a challenge and I relished it; gathering, preparing, converting, and ordering those last few bits over the last year. If you look at the last event I ended up painting more points of stuff I did not vow than I did vowed Guard, so I did not really do that much more than before; it's just that almost all of it counted this time. I have loads of stuff to paint as I have been playing since '89 means the accumulation of loads of things that just never seem to ever see a paint brush, a situation only made worse by those tempting eBay deals. Because of this event, it is a great opportunity for me to push myself and actually paint them up so I am happy with them. Something about being under the gun and having to really strain yourself to achieve your goal really does help. Looking at my stuff I can tell you that without this huge vow to kick me in the pants I can honestly say that only eight of the Bloodthirsters would have gotten painted and maybe the Blood Angels Plague Marines this Summer. A few other Dornian models might have eventually seen paint, one day.

Besides, there were only three of us who actually were crazed enough to shoot so high in one vow and two others who eventually vowed enough to join the five digit club, so it was not so much a disruptive factor as a few lunatics with more models than sense. I also think that a handful of these vows might actually be a good thing for the event as it seems to energize the forum as others take heart from seeing the massive vow and might even vow a little more than they would have otherwise. Perhaps even rival forums hear of the large vows and redouble their efforts with extra ZEAL to combat these, not that there is a fanatical forum of black armored Marines around here or anything rolleyes.gif.

I will admit that I am not happy with a few of the models; five actually - I'm looking at you Bloodcrushers, but that had more to do with the model than the effort. I got so frustrated with those five metal Juggernauts that I nearly took the black spray paint to them and called them Black Templars, I hated painting them so much (Templar water slide transfers would have followed). This would not have changed had they been the only models I vowed. Still they are done forever and no further work will go into them unless someone says I need to base them for an event or something (really the only time I ever base anything, so perhaps we need a basing challenge). Even then I probably would still not field them out of spite so they remain unbased tongue.png. Or perhaps if some professional painter wishes to practice their Golden Daemon level painting standard out on them for free (yeah right) I might let them get repainted (again more spite, and yes I play Iron Warriors).

On the positive side I ended up painting a unit I did not vow because I was worried it would have been too hard for me. Instead those six Flamers are one of my favorite paint jobs. Combined with the fact that there are loads of minis that will never need to see a paint brush again and I think this was a great challenge that ended with me asking only one question:

"What do I paint next year?"

[...]

If it makes you feel better, I may be looking at another forum as while I have yet more Chaos to point, there is plenty of other stuff for me to paint. I mean I have the contents of Stormclaw only just now coming off the sprue and have some 3,500 points of Space Wolves, plus Leman Russ, in dire need of a repaint. There is also a company worth of a DIY chapter left to be repainted as Red Scorpions, more Guard (because there is always more), some Mechanicus, about 1,200 points of Grey Knights, another 1,000 points of Sisters, and a small handful of Blood Angels.

As for modifying the forums, I think the Guard, Sisters, Grey Knights, and general Mechanicum should not only be counted together as one, but also allow participants in any one of those to vow any of them, much like the Heresy forum get Mechanicus plus the Legions, Codex Marines gets all other Chapters except Black Templars and those with their own codex, and Chaos gets their chaotic grab bag. Also there should be an Angry Marine ETL thread, but is not allow to vow points that count, just to make them angry about it laugh.png.

I also noticed that of the combined 306 pages of the ETL individual forum threads, 101 pages of them came from the Chaos one alone. It seemed that the more talkative forums were also the most productive.

AMEN to that!

I'm with Teetengee on the time-limit-per-vow issue. Part of the fun of the ETL is the strategy of vowing something huge and then being able to secure it with consecutive vows in the later stages of the event. A time limit per vow would take away that part of the event. In the end, who cares about super mega vows anyway? It's their choice, plus it would be impossible to make the ETL completely 'fair' with SWs and BAs having their own forum. I believe the ETL is mostly about challenging yourself on your wn terms (and the ETL restrictions), about the community and about fun. :tu:

I like the group shot idea: here's my five vows together (already posted in the Chaos forum a couple of weeks ago)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/temporary_zps78e60aad.jpg

I have to say Augustus, that is one slick looking titan, definitely one to be proud of. If I may ask did you air brush the glow for the plasma gun or use a different method?

For those unaware. Here are the usual banner sizes you can use writhin your 800 pixel limit:

Rectangle banner = 300 pixels wide

Square banner = 100 pixels wide

Small tag banner = 33 pixels wide

Cheers, all updated! I was about 65 pixels over...

Well done to everyone with your participation! Was great to be involved again and was proud of how the heresy forum grew this year..

Thanks again Capt Semper for all your work and as someone else has already mentioned, thank you for taking the time to respond so kindly to everyones completions!

Till the next time

My opinion on this is kinda laissez faire. If you wanna blow 10,000+ points worth of Dollars on models to paint hey its your money. It also means that you really have no other free time during the event (unless your also bankrolling a painting company to paint your minis.) Again its your money and your time. 

10k points of models whats the actual $ equivalent, lets say that you've got mostly vehicles. 

Without picking out anyone's paint list in particular lets say you paint all landraiders. the pricing on this is about $75.00  which is on the expensive side but is worth alot of points 250. meaning your painting 40 Land raiders. This comes to $3000. That is alot. Most people cannot afford cannot afford to blow that much cash on this hobby all at one time.

Should this comp be all about money though? Thats the question. Sure you need to buy models to paint, but I think that we can all agree that perhaps there could be a way to limit the influence of money on this event.

Just as a point, I fundamentally disagree. I don't believe it's about money at all. You can be savvy with what you paint, buy or build - as things cost remarkably different prices in different places too. The absolute bulk of stuff that I have painted has been second-hand buys that I have loving stripped and reappropriated. Your example would be fine, but take off at least 20% per Raider, and that's assuming that they're brand new. The ETL has never been about money, nor do I see it as a place to flaunt at all. So yes, I painted twenty Cataphractii - but I paid nowhere near what they would've cost. Can you tell? Arguably not. I digress, and would be mortified if someone felt that they were pushed out by financial constraints - but having seen more than one offer within our faction alone to active contribute minis to someone who didn't have any at that time due to a house move, shows the generosity of many competitors too.

Tribute rewards for one - something entirely unexpected and a truly thoughtful gesture. 

Captain, once more thank you for the enjoyable event. Let's all do our best again next year and break this years record. I'm still annoyed I never got around to finish the remaining vehicles I had ready, but alas circumstances etc. will often simply come without warning.

As for the filthy Heretics, good fight, same time, same gauntlets next year, keep painting pretty colors and we'll keep making black look good.

For paint and plastic crack!

For the Zeal that never surrenders!!

For whomever you align yourself with, build, paint, play!!!

Congrates to the Forces of Chaos, grumble, it is hard for a Grey Knight to say those words so take it.

As always it was fun and I thank Cap for putting up with all the great work he does on it!

A hearty congratulations to the Chaos faction - truly your dedication must fill your twisted Gods with pride!

I mean, this might be your only notable victory in the last ten thousand years, but that's a topic for another time. tongue.png

And I suppose I'd best congratulate the DA for sneaking past us at the last minute, too. tongue.png

It's been an honour to participate in the ETL alongside the Angels of Death forum, even if we Liberites were basically mercenaries for everyone else this year.laugh.png

I'll wear my participation badge with pride just as soon as I remember how to add it to my signature! (curse my sleep-deprived brain and it's lousy memory!sweat.gif)

There was nothing left...

The mighty Armies of Humanity had fought each other utilizing every resource in their disposal. The end result was nothing short of total devastation.

Brother Neria, the Consecrators’ Veteran sergeant of the 6th Company was looking at the carnage in disgust… The bodies of the Emperor’s finest, tanks’ and flyers’ wrecks were littering the battlefield. In the distance the foul banner of obscene Deities was flying in the high ground. He turned to the wing-helmeted figure next to him.

- This cannot be allowed Master. We must launch the final assault and erase this blasphemy once and for all!

The Master of Recruits was silent. He knew that the Emperor’s forces were spent. Any further attack will only serve in expending resources with no material result. Was this the will of the Inner Circle? He smiled to himself… Then he turned to his Veteran Sergeant.

- We will Neria, we will… next year!

Oh for crying out loud, you put men in skirts responsible for reporting the news and they go all hysterical or something.

Helbrecht: So, I see that the Unholy hordes have claimed victory yet again.

Grimaldus: But they are still in the Eye of Terror, my lord.

Helbrecht: So...status quo?

Grimaldus: Totally.

So now  that's out of the way...Bravo to everyone who participated. I tip my hat to the Chaos forum for ascending to heights undreamed of and cracking me up on a regular basis.

Captain Semper, I stand up and salute you for making this happen. Such a tremendous amount of sacrifice on your part for the benefit of so many. Thank you for giving.

Cheers,

Oh and Semper: thank you very much for the Badge of the Artisan mate! I'm incredibly honoured! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Hey Augustus, just wondering if it's ok for me to use that lovely Custos Fidei banner you're sporting?

P.S.......I obviously haven't already added it to my sig, so lets talk about little tiny lightning bolts and how cool they are ph34r.png :devil: tongue.png

Archived