+++E Tenebrae Lux III - Realm of Chaos Strategium+++

I second the hate for trim. Finally finished vow one. I don't know how you guys do the big ones.

I present The Changed, warriors of the Hands of Fate warband. Considered (primarily by themselves) the most devout worshippers of Tzeentch among the warband, aspiring champion Hamet only accepts into his squad those blessed by a mark of mutation.

Group shot:

gallery_62370_9693_210051.jpg

Hamet:

gallery_62370_9693_54898.jpg

Squad Plasma Gunners Dagyr and Gunnar. Dagyr was lucky enough to wake up one day with that fancy tentacle but Gunnar earned his place in a boarding action against the Sons of Guilliman back in M37. After frying his face off when his plasma gun overcharged he got right back up and continued to unload shots into the loyalists.

gallery_62370_9693_65054.jpg

Now for vow 2. I Akylas answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete before August 1st one Cypher, Lord of the First Legion Fallen from Dataslate: Cypher and a five man squad of Chosen with power sword on the champion and 4 plasma guns from Codex:Chaos Space Marines for a total of 355 points. Success will bring glory to the Great Architect (pledge for Tzeentch) and failure will cause me to bear the badge of shame and have my soul flayed by the denizens of the warp.

@Chaeron

They are coming along,  This board is a heck of a motivator.  I paint and then I come here and see squads, or in some cases, companies painted and I am back to the desk.  Ready to get the next vow put in.  I would like to see 5 vows completed by the end of this thing.

@Akylas

Those are looking great, like the conversions as well.

Gub

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, although I know I have a long way to go with my painting.

@Gubnutz Da Grim

I know the feeling. Seeing the progress people make here is really inspiring.

@ Chaeron: In the style of a true ETL veteran! :D Really like your style Chaeron - your fiend is fantastic but the Decimator is really somethign else! It's interesting that we do not see that many Decimators... Lovely model imo. And in this particular case very well executed too! :tu: I can see a daemon engine theme building up...

@ Dragonlover: Well those minis certainly look familiar enough and different enough at the same time - a very unique force there Dragonlover, and the AL colours seem to suit them! Hydra Dominatus! :lol:

@ Kol Saresk: Your painting is fine mate - your photo skills are the ones that need some work! :P The comment I would make is about the white area on the shoulder pad that seems to have too much texture given the thickness of the paint. Let's face it: white is not easy! The best way to deal with it is to start in many thin layers - thin being the operative word. Yes it takes longer and could be boring but the result will be materially better. If you want a shortcut, try a very light grey (Ulthual Grey does it for me) as a base. It can cover darker colours much more efficiently and then it can just be highlighted with white to give a much smoother end-result... Bottom line? Keep painting - there is no substitute for hands-on experience... :tu:

@ Gubnutz: Those look great - and the pics are not that bad really... Ahriman rocks! :yes:

@ Akylas: Very clean work mate! Congrats on your completion!

GOOD NEWS TIME: You are marginally ahead of the BTs right now and behind the AoDs. So keep going - this MUST be the year of Chaos!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Gubnutz and Akylas: congrats guys on the finishes! The pics are fine - for both of you. 

Gub: I love Ahriman - very unique paint scheme which suits him very nicely.

Akylas: Hamet is an awesome mini. Superb kitbash and great pose. 

And we're above the BTs!!!! W00t! Keep finishing those vows and continue to revow guys! 

Some awesome painting going on here. It's getting me motivated to finish my knight. Unfortunately exams and coursework has been keeping me busy these last couple of weeks, so I apologise for lack of updates.

On trim: once you've done two Heldrakes back to back, you kind of stop caring.

@Kol Saresk: See if you can get you're hands on some of the old Astronomican Grey Foundation paint. I use it as a basecoat for white and it works like a charm.

@everybody: It's all awesome.

Dragonlover

On trim: once you've done two Heldrakes back to back, you kind of stop caring.

See my Call to Chaos vow... ouch.

I have another two (should be three, but I think it's lost in the post) I could vow, but I think I'd lose the will.

Some awesome painting going on here. It's getting me motivated to finish my knight. Unfortunately exams and coursework has been keeping me busy these last couple of weeks, so I apologise for lack of updates.

ignore the coursework, with the way things are going after all this schooling your probably gonna end up in a job you hate anyway haha. 

ignore the coursework, with the way things are going after all this schooling your probably gonna end up in a job you hate anyway haha.
you say that but I'm actually a returning student trying to change my career because I ended up in a job I hated after school. I've got a place in uni now so I owe it to my family to get these grades. Plus, if I get into uni I'm going to treat myself to a Titan! Mwa ha ha ha haaaaa!

you say that but I'm actually a returning student trying to change my career because I ended up in a job I hated after school. I've got a place in uni now so I owe it to my family to get these grades. Plus, if I get into uni I'm going to treat myself to a Titan! Mwa ha ha ha haaaaa!

That's the best motivation!

That's the best motivation!

It certainly is! The only limit is whether my wallet will let me get a Reaver or Warhound.

p.s. by wallet I mean Wife ;)

So, based on my reading of various other Strategiums, as of Captain Semper's post we were 2nd (just), and about 8000 points behind the vanilla Loyalists. I'm really looking forward to this weeks update now.

Dragonlover

im getting trim burnout, i have now decided i dont want them to update the cms sprues to look like the DV chosen, im now officially sick of the sight of marines

and ive just got another box of raptors -.- now got 20 of the buggers to do for vow 3 if i ever get that far, and 40 plague bearers *cries* 

To answer some questions concerning tutorial video's, might I suggest the following YouTube channels.

GirlPainting (don't mind her smoke and whisky voice, Alexandra is a great tutorialist for beginning and intermediate painters.)

BuyPainted (Polish dude who'se video's have taught me everything I know about model preparation (important for beginners), the use of Vallejo Liquid Gold, and Airbrushing)

OrcPainterNerd (just great for beginners)

Those having trouble with doing Chaos trim, I would REALLY advice to start using Vallejo Liquid Gold. It's a difficult paint to master, and you need pure medical alcohol and synthetic brushes to use it. But when you start with it, you NEVER want to get back to acryllic paints for painting metal. Well used, they give a perfect (and I mean perfect) covering coating in one stroke. After that it's just one layer of a wash (GW devlan mud or agrax earthshade, or Army painter Strong Tone) and if you are really pushing it a light drybrush of metal, and you're done. DONE. I did the trims of my heldrakes - all trim - in half an hour with this method.

Anyway, SEMPER: It has just come to my attention that we're only allowed five vows. I was wondering if I can ADD (not substract) some units to my fourth vow, namely the extra dreadnought (with thunder hammer and plasma cannon - 120pts) and the two landspeeders (counts-as predators with combibolter 2x75=150pts). I'd like to safe my fifth and final vow for units and parts that have yet to arrive through the mail (mostly my Contemptor, my plans for the sold-out Ahriman, and the parts to build my planned Lord of SKulls on legs).

You don't have to paint every bit of trim you know msn-wink.gif

if i leave bits out and cut corners i may as well have pledged for the AoD team :D

them imperials have got it easy, their marines aint as detailed as ours

if i leave bits out and cut corners i may as well have pledged for the AoD team :D

Just get Army Painter spray and dip. Done.

if i leave bits out and cut corners i may as well have pledged for the AoD team biggrin.png

Just get Army Painter spray and dip. Done.

dip?? what is this madness??? lets not go crazy now lol

He's not even kidding... dipping is a technique. I'd never use it, but it IS a technique...

I just finished the DV Helbrute of my 4th vow. More pics in my showcase log. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20140618_002_zps41651ff7.jpg

Archived