I don't know enough about Tyranids to say for certain if your newest idea would hold water, but on the surface it looks alright to me.

EDIT:By the Throne, now I look back at that sentence I realise it's full of horrible puns. Rest assured I'll do suitable penance for them later!:pinch:

As far as creating a whole new alien race goes - I'd say it's absolutely a viable option.:biggrin.:

Tyranids, Necron and Orks are threats on a galaxy-wide scale, across innumerable battlefields on thousands of worlds and several bajillion miles of empty space.

Even making your prospective new aliens take a whole Chapter and a ton of Guard to beat back, by comparison, you'd be creating something that's barely a blip on the galactic radar.

It'd just be one more campaign amongst millions and could easily escape the notice of wider Imperial Documentation.:happy.:

Of course, if you'd prefer to stick with Tyranids then that's cool too, I'm just throwing another option out there.:thumbsup:

Edited by Ace Debonair

I think either a. the Nid ship falling into the sea and building up from there, or b. a small contingent of genestealers (which have been known to go dormant for a LONG time when 'food' runs scarce) are your best bets.

Also, your list of important people seems to overuse the "last surviving [____}" trope imho. Keep it if your intent is to show just how tiny the chapter is right now; it just sent up some flags for me.

I don't know enough about Tyranids to say for certain if your newest idea would hold water, but on the surface it looks alright to me.

EDIT:By the Throne, now I look back at that sentence I realise it's full of horrible puns. Rest assured I'll do suitable penance for them later!:pinch:

Even making your prospective new aliens take a whole Chapter and a ton of Guard to beat back, by comparison, you'd be creating something that's barely a blip on the galactic radar.

It'd just be one more campaign amongst millions and could easily escape the notice of wider Imperial Documentation.:happy.:

That sentence was glorious and you should be proud.

If it was just a fight, sure, but they very nearly destroyed the Imperial forces. Considering the standing of the Marines in the Imperium , I would have thought that such an event would at least garner some kind of note - for instance, the Siege of Goddeth Hive would be of little to no note if it wasn't for the fact that a Chapter was effectively destroyed there.

Of course, if you'd prefer to stick with Tyranids then that's cool too, I'm just throwing another option out there.:thumbsup:

Ideas are always good! I do appreciate them, even if I do not always decide to pursue them.

I think either a. the Nid ship falling into the sea and building up from there, or b. a small contingent of genestealers (which have been known to go dormant for a LONG time when 'food' runs scarce) are your best bets.

I lean more towards option a than option b, personally, as a allows for a slow recovery of numbers.

Also, your list of important people seems to overuse the "last surviving [____}" trope imho. Keep it if your intent is to show just how tiny the chapter is right now; it just sent up some flags for me.

The Chapter is indeed decimated, but it wasn't my intention to show it through that section. Good catch, thanks.

Edits, to save making another post:

- Have made changes in the notable figures section.

- I have made custom banners! I might go back and redo them silver, since silver is actually the predominant colour of the KV.

Edited by Harlan Skorus

Just a quick thought on the question of some new/hitherto unknown alien race causing great harm to Imperial forces. There is the president of the Pale Wasting. The history of the Imperium is littered with little known incidents that were either expunged from records, otherwise covered up, or forgotten owing to the slopping work of even a very small cog in this massive machine.

I am not, of course, critiquing the idea of sticking to Tyranids, or of maintaining option a) above, but as a general observation it seems quite feasible to me that some alien race could inflict severe damage and still remain relatively obscure, at least for a time.

Whilst I am still generally not in favour of the idea, I didn't know about the Pale Wasting. Very interesting. Thanks for that.

(Also, I discovered that the Lexicanum has a page called 'List of Lists', which is strange and hilarious.)

I may end up stealing thoughts from this and incorporating it into one of the other 3 (possibly soon 4) Chapters I have going.

At some point I am going to rewrite bits about the Chapter history to see how I can incorporate idea a.

As for the thought that, considering the standing of Marines in the Imperium, that such an event would at least garner some kind of note, well, for all we know it does. All we see are glimpses into the Imperium and the events that shape it. It has survived for ten thousand years on the galactic stage. There is an ocean of lore out there and all we see are the waves hitting the beach. An event such as an unknown, new xenos species doing as much as all that might be major deals to the Imperium at large, and might even occur with frightening regularity, and we, as readers, might not witness any hints of it. But it fits with the setting, and has plausibility on its side.

Sorry if this seems like us all ganging up on you for this one thing, but it brings up something interesting to discuss, that of DIY Xenos breeds in an IA. As everyone else has said though, if you'd like it to be the Tyranids, then so be it.

Haha, no worries. I'd actually at this point be more open to rewriting the events of the 7 years since Hive Fleet Vritra (as I do intend to keep it as the 'Nids because I have a fondness for them) but realistically I am going to break one of the tenants of the Liber Astartes and stand my ground on this one for now. I have started playing around with various events in backing files though, to try and make the events as I see them slightly more plausible to the wider community - it may take a while for me to get my head around.

While I'm, at it: Shameless plug, some of the fluff re Poriphon War has gone up on the Fan Fiction board. Warning: has flak armour, purplish prose.

Moving on from all of the above, regardless of the outcome, I do feel it's an interesting conversation to have. I have certainly had my view on the DIY Xenos issue changed, and I may well end up using some of these ideas in a 5th Chapter that is in a rough planning stage (lots of time, lots of ideas). At the very least, it has given me lots of interesting reading to be doing today, so that's cool. Hullghasts are pretty cool, and have given me a wave of nostalgia for Execution Hour. I sometimes think I was the only person in the world who ever read that book, and that it may not have existed at all.

I have edited bits of the original post in light of recent discussions. Whilst some of it seems heavy-handed to me, it is a start.

EDIT 22/06/14: Edited a few more words, fixed a couple formatting errors.

Edited by Harlan Skorus

• 5 years later...

Welllllllll then, better late than never...

Edited the history section to update it as of 112.M42 or whatever year we're in now.

To-do list:
- Go through updating/re-tensing the rest of the article Done 10/04
- Take a scythe to that list of notable characters, now mostly deceased Done 08/04 poor Harlan :sad.:
- Try and fix 6-year old BBCode artifacts and formatting. Be gentle with me, Omnissiah. Done 08/04 let us never touch that again

Edited by Harlan Skorus