greg0985's ETL III: Failure and Pennance update

I, greg0985, answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete from Codex: Chaos Space Marines and Codex: Chaos Daemons:

Be'Lakor

21 Plague Marines

-----3 champion Powerfists, 2 Champion Plasma pistols, 3 Plasma guns, 3 Meltaguns, & 1 Plague Rhino

8 Khorne Berzerkers

-----Champion Powerfist/Lightning claw, Icon of Wrath, & Rhino w/ Destroyer Blades, Dirge Caster, & Combi-flamer

3 Nurgle Obliterators

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

-----Lesser Reward Staff (actually modeled on too), Flight, & Armour

2 Heralds of Tzeentch on Discs

2 Heralds of Khorne on Juggernauts (modeled with Beasts of Chaos Minotaurs)

Karanak

&

Herald of Slaanesh

of total value 2324 points on or before August 1st.

Success will bring eternal glory to the Legions of Chaos while failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end.

Well, here goes...

First time with ETL, and i thought i'd create a new thread for my pics and vows, so as not to clutter the main ETL III thread.

Here's my before pics for my first vow:

gallery_79488_9550_21619.jpg

gallery_79488_9550_163663.jpg

You may notice that Be'lakor is a generic DP model. That's because i ordered the official Finecast model in mid December, and i'm still waiting for him now... So, I've been using that plastic mock-up. May even cancel my GW order, since that counts-as has been working well.

Ok, so now to the basement to start priming!

Be worth chasing them for that order. No reason for it to take longer than a week unless it's a Kick Starter campaign.

That's a pretty hefty vow too. Looks good ;)

Began first coats on Death Guard and Nurgle Oblits.

On top of Black undercoat, i painted on Gretchin Green foundation color (you could also use Deathworld Forrest), followed by a heavy drybrush of Rotting Flesh (i think that correlates to Nurgling Green?)

Next step is to repeat the above steps on 21 more marines. Ug...

gallery_79488_9550_87090.jpg

So, i have a small confession: I got distracted from painting Death Guard marines, and kit-bashed together a new Soul Grinder (my 5th!).

Here he is:
gallery_79488_9550_93733.jpg

gallery_79488_9550_114725.jpg

...and before you ask; Yes he was inspired by Goatboy's phenomenal conversions.

Altighty, so now that that's out of my system, its back to painting my Vows. Don't worry though, we'll be seeing Him again in Vow 2 wink.png

Ok, so, had a few Guiness's, and got some painting done.

Picking up where i left off with the Nurgle Marines:

I painted all the metals with Leadbelcher, the shoulderpad rims with Waaagh Flesh, fleshy-bits with my old pot of Dwarf Flesh, bone areas with Dheneb Stone, and random organic bits in Blood Red.

gallery_79488_9550_3891.jpg

Next up, washed the entire model with Devlan Mud (Army Painter Dark Tone wash is THE SAME THING!)

gallery_79488_9550_37323.jpg

And here's a shot of the back of one of the Plague Champions (while still wet), just to show some of the details i choose to pick out.

gallery_79488_9550_60402.jpg

After the Devlan Mud dries, there's only one more step to finish the models; a wash with Gryphonne Sepia (or Army Painter Soft Tone wash).

See ya guys when that's done sweat.gif

Ok, so, had a few Guiness's, and got some painting done.

Picking up where i left off with the Nurgle Marines:

I painted all the metals with Leadbelcher, the shoulderpad rims with Waaagh Flesh, fleshy-bits with my old pot of Dwarf Flesh, bone areas with Dheneb Stone, and random organic bits in Blood Red.

gallery_79488_9550_3891.jpg

Next up, washed the entire model with Devlan Mud (Army Painter Dark Tone wash is THE SAME THING!)

gallery_79488_9550_37323.jpg

And here's a shot of the back of one of the Plague Champions (while still wet), just to show some of the details i choose to pick out.

gallery_79488_9550_60402.jpg

After the Devlan Mud dries, there's only one more step to finish the models; a wash with Gryphonne Sepia (or Army Painter Soft Tone wash).

See ya guys when that's done sweat.gif

Very impressive!

• 1 month later...

Alright. So updates. And another confession...

First things first, I've made some more progress on painting those Death Guard, and now that I've taken my spring semester finals, I'll have more time to work on my vow. Pics soon of the nearly-finished DG.

Now onto the bad news...I have less self-control then an Emperor's Child at a rave. I caved in and splurged on a Greater Brass Scorpion of Khorne. I'll have to finish this damned vow ASAP, because I NEED to paint that awesome model as soon as it arrives, and I'd like its points to go towards helping the cause.

Signing off again for now,

greg0985

Hide the Brass Scorpion till this vow is done. Count is as your treat.

And what was that comment about raving?

Once my vow IS done, I can totally vow the brass scorpion, right? I know its Escalation-legal, so it counts, right?

You sure can. Just be sure you can complete it by August 1st or any vows you complete won't count at all ;)

• 1 month later...

So, do to a combination of my new job, summer semester at the university, and family obligations, i was not able to finish my ETL vows.  

I will strive to make penance with the Dark Gods, and hereafter i will maintain this thread as a log of my conversion and paint work.  

For now though, I need to add the Badge of the Oathbreaker to my sig, and was wondering if anyone had made up a nice looking Chaos one i could use, as my poorly-cobbled together one looks pretty...bad.  

Archived