Darth Mustard's Chaos WIP : update (page 16)

@ Dorns : Thanks I wanted them to look ... disturbing :)

@ Forte : actually I was inspired by Hell Boy II´s royal guard character and when I decided to use the sutured head he turned up more Hellraiser like. I know it is one of your soft spots. :) The dilemma is : should I build more like him since I have more heads and bodies or should I do something different. He is like a transitional model between the runners with two blades the more static models. 

Yeah I guess I´ll to start painting again after a 10 years break. Building is rather quick and rewarding compared to painting.

I think I´m delaying the painting process because I´m afraid to ruin them since I don´t know the new GW paint (these are the only one that I can find here in China) but I have to start since minis are now pilling up on my desk.

I think my painting will be kind of commercial since all the models will be for sale. So purple claws for the ladies I guess. I want to work with a limited palet for the cultists (black, grey skin, silver)  but they have to receive their tanks and GS tubes before. 

MUST NOT START TO BUILD EMPEROR´s CHILDREN :D

Your colour choice sounds good. What you can do though is use other colours mixed with the black when you highlight. Blues, purples, greens, all work well.

Those Cultists look ace DM, lots of great 'bashes. You really should sneak a banner in there for the cool factor though as Slaanesh demands it. :wink:

Thanks DM ;)

Good idea for a banner. It would give me the option of adding a more static member. I'm debating between  a female leader with whips to support their moral or a more surgeon like leader rewarding them with blades extensions. I have something Japanese like in mind for the banner. Maybe a bigger, more muscular, cultist or on the opposite a deadly female. After all only the strong can receive such an honor no?

Your colour choice sounds good. What you can do though is use other colours mixed with the black when you highlight. Blues, purples, greens, all work well.

yup I think I´ll tone my black with blue and brown for the cultists to give them a geiger aspect palet

Very twisted cultists, very cool. Definitely not a bunch of people you would like to meet in a dark alley (or out in the sunshine either)

Hej Mr Bear,

Indeed I wanted to make them as scary or disturbing as possible. I have even more disturbing ideas to come :)

Hej Mr Bear,

Indeed I wanted to make them as scary or disturbing as possible. I have even more disturbing ideas to come :)

So ... quick update.

I played with green stuff today. 

I cannot thank enough Brother Chaplain Kage for suggesting to us kitchen oil for sculpting

While the girls were drying I played with my idea for cultists and here is a early stage WIP

I don´t know which direction I´m going with the head so all suggestions are welcome. 

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy82/DarthMustard/Slaneesh_cultist2e_zps29d7f06a.jpg

I'm glad the oil worked out for you, and hopefully it will propel your confidence with the GS to new heights! :D

As for your cultist, it immediately reminded me of the demons that populated Hell in the Constantine movie:

http://i.imgur.com/RpyzX8f.jpg?1

I don't know if you wanted to go that far with the head modifications, but it might look cool if you could pull off something similar in 40k fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

So China's internet sucks again. Nothing technical, just the control of information by the governement blocking access to foreign websites and even the B&C  or providers :cussing us up.

I kind of lost my motivation. I went all "Dave Taylor" style and realized that I had already purchased over 200 minis. Maybe assembled 40 max.

Finished painted none. So it is freaking out time.

Not finishing a model is depressing and starting to paint again is danting.

I purchased a GW airbrush (don't know where to buy one in China) and was pleasantly suprised. Of course finding the right fluidity of paint is always an art but you can actually spray with some sort of precision. For me an airbrush is only about basecoating and maybe a general zhenital highlight that should gain me time. If only it came with an autowash mode.

I started to paint a test model with the Demonettes. Maybe not my brightest idea since they are so thin. I have to take a few shots

I'm realizing that I can't work on large series. Modelling or kitbashing is ok but painting I have to find a way to approach it differently.

My ADD mind is all around the place and only with chaos I have 4 tentations. Not being able to buy bits here I could buy a box. and add 10 models because I just wanted a specific head.

Maybe if I manage to get finish these 200 models I'll specialize in smaller units in the Inq28 style. I think that Nurgle can be the quickest god to massively transform and paint all these models.

I have a few CSM left and I think I'll approach them as characters more than troops.

It works better for my motivation, I like the idea of a champion for the 4 gods to start. Keeping them on a playable base. In a kind of Golden Demon spirit. That way my clients can purchased whatever faction interest them and I can enjoy variety.

I have to start approaching this as either a production line or the production of one unique piece.

I have to build up my painting skills again. I can only paint with the new GW paints which I'm not familiar with at all.

So I'll start with two units of demons Horrors and Plague bearers that I bought only for that purpose ( + 20 minis)... silly me. They are practise for shading.

It's hard because I really want to convert 4 csm champion for each god.

Maybe I should write a list of things to do and achievement.

Anyone has tips on productivity or self motivation? organization?

I'm also interested in ideas for basing the models. What do people like better or use more often?

To do list is good. I usually do that when I'm part way through so I can see stuff is still getting done. Posting progress here too helps as others want to see things finished.

With the new GW paints, don't get confused with all the different types.

Base paints are basically high pigmentation colours which give good opacity and coverage.

Layers and your standard paints just with new names.

Dry are basically that. I've not used them so can't comment.

Imperial Primer isn't a primer and neither is Ceramite White. They are both just high pigmentation colours.

Washes are washes.

Glazes are thinned washes.

Treat the new paints the same as any acrylic paints. Shake well before use, thin with water or try Lamian Medium (GWs attempt at a glaze/drying retarder. It's useful but not as good as dedicated mediums from other companies). Mix colours where you need to. Paint in thin layers. But most of all I find you need to make sure the lids are properly closed. The pots can dry up quickly.

So small list

20 daemonettes

• assembled
  • need to be painted

11 cultists

• need +1 model to respect a 2x6 Slaneesh number
  • first phase of assembling
  • Need patching need tubes in GS
  • need paint need bases

Should I get rid of the bones/hair in the back of the cultists to give them a more human vibe?

Edited by Darth Mustard

silly me 

I forgot to post the photo

just 2 colors on a test model to show that I´m not dead

the final skin will be grayish sort of very pale 

please note the mould line on the right (left claws of the mini) and in the hair

I´m really proud on how good it can be distinguished on the photo

:censored: :censored: :censored:  :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy82/DarthMustard/Daemoettepaint_zps9c555c7d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I’ve been drifting out of the hobby these last weeks. The character of Frank in House of Cards dragged me back to Cod and I had my butt kicked by Japanese ninja far too often. The lag from China is just terrible. Internet on foreign websites? Don't even mention it

Anyway, recently realized that I have over 200 minis that are currently not even assembled. Maybe 40 assembled, painted? none

I don’t know about you but for me wandering in the B&C gives me lot of ideas. It seems that I can’t just try to do one model I have to think about one unit. So I buy several boxes because of course I can’t do the exact unit that is in the box I have to do something original and kitbash or convert. And then comes another post, another idea, another acquisition… and so on.

Chaos seems my drug of choice. Way more possible conversions but the 200 minis are just … overwhelming.

I need to come with a plan, a production planning, a schedule, a discipline to get rid of them or … torch them.

Hide some. Keep the ones you want to paint first somewhere you can see them. Everything else put out of sight so they are not a distraction. That's the only way I can manage to finish things.

I know I know

I am my worst enemy

This morning I was looking at CSM undercoated in black and I thought "black legion easy fast paint job" and then I found that

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2705_resize.jpg

From Hydra on Warseer in ...2009 http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?167723-Mantis-Warriors-or-the-long-way-into-darkness/page2

And now I'm thinking black and pink ... but nobody does Tzeentch tooo

argghhhh My brain hurts

http://www.memoryedge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/my-brain-hurts.jpg