Deathwatch & Inquisition - Dread & Apothecary Finished Pg 3

Rob451

My local GW is running a battleforce challenge that ends on May 24th (complete coincidence that date). The idea is to paint 750 points of stuff in a month, play some games and then there is a public vote on both painting and converting. Winner gets their force in the display case in the store.

Well originally it started out as a 750 point Army. However so many people wanted to do weird things that it changed to include Apocalypse Formations. I chose to paint up a Deathwatch Strike Force with a small Inquisition detachment.

So armed with a Tactical, Sternguard and Grey Knights box plus some Servitors and my bits box I set about the task.

2014-04-27%2011.53.56.jpg

This is my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. I wanted to have a female Inquisitor largely because I wanted to challenge the stereotype that all females in wargames have massive boobs and lots of bare flesh. Power Armour is Power Armour. There is absolutely no need for breast shapes on the outside so long as the occupant fits inside.

I decided to keep her quite Spartan and stern looking using a Wood Elf Glade Guard head and leaving her largely unadorned. I'll be fielding her as a Psyker with some servo skulls but not much more.

2014-04-27%2011.53.36.jpg

My Watch Captain is kitted out so he can Count As Pedro Kantor in larger games. Power fist and Storm Bolter a-go-go. This is also because he doesn't get Sternguard special ammo so giving him a Storm Bolter isn't as much of a waste as it would be on a Sternguard member.

2014-04-27%2011.54.48.jpg

My Watch Librarian (OK counts as Ordo Xenos Inquisitor for this). I should probably explain that nobody has their head glued in at this point. They are all pinned so they can be painted separately and so I can decide who gets which head later on when I've finished painting them all.

For this guy I'm planning some OSL effects in his psychic hood which will backlight his head. That's in addition to the glow from the Force Sword and whatever psychic power he's casting in this pose.

Sadly I didn't take any pics of the rest of the marines before I started painting them so the next update will see the entire force primed and with their Chapter colours on their shoulder pads.

I wanted to have a female Inquisitor largely because I wanted to challenge the stereotype that all females in wargames have massive boobs and lots of bare flesh. Power Armour is Power Armour. There is absolutely no need for breast shapes on the outside so long as the occupant fits inside.

I know, right? I see those models and I just go "ergh." Apparently entrance to the Space Marines is determined by having a back-braking set of breasts. 

Anyway, love your conversions. Now let's see some paint! 

Thanks for the comments guys it means a lot to get feedback smile.png

I managed to take some pics after I'd painted all the shoulder pads and the left arms. I also painted up the Librarian as a test figure just to make sure everything was going to come out how I expected it to (it did). He's only base coated and washed so far.

I also painted the heads for the Inquisitor, Librarian and Watch Captain. I'm trying out a completely new (for me) way of painting heads which so far seems to be getting some really nice results using just an airbrush and washes.

Some of these squads aren't optimal for Sternguard. The reason for this is that I want to be able to take this as an army outside of this event so at least two of them will need to do double duty as Tactical Squads for FOC. That puts a limit on the number of combi-weapons I can take as I need at least 7 marines with just Bolters (Since Tacticals can't take Heavy Flamers that has to go in a Sternguard squad). The Space Wolf will be used as a vet Sergeant in one of my Tactical squads which is why he swapped his Bolter for a Chainsword. In total I can only have 5 Combi-Weapons in the models below (4 Sternguard, 1 Tactical Sergeant). I still haven't decided on what load out to use but I know the Dark Angel is getting a Combi-Plasma so I was thinking 2 Combi-Melta and 2 Combi-grav. What do you guys think? There is still plenty of time to make changes.

Also as the heads are just pinned not glued if you think a specific head would suit a different chapter better than how I've dished them out then let me know. I'm not completely familiar with the background and gene-seed of all of the Chapters I've chosen.

Inquisitor plus Servitor Retinue

photo%20%288%29.JPG

Watch Captain and Librarian

photo%20%2810%29.JPG

Chapters (Left to Right): Ultramarines, Crimson Fists.

Kill Team Alpha

photo%20%289%29.JPG

Chapters (Left to Right): Ultramarines, Black Templars, Space Wolves, Raptors, White Scars

Kill Team Bravo

photo%20%2811%29.JPG

Chapters (Left to Right): Black Shield, Ravenguard, Dark Angels, Salamanders, Angels of Redemption

Kill Team Charlie

photo%20%2812%29.JPG

Chapters (Left to Right): Black Shield, Blood Angels, Iron Hands, Imperial Fists, Hawk Lords

Off the top of my head, Scar needs a hair extension, Raven Guard should be much paler with a black eye. Everyone else looks super.

As for the heavy flamer limitation, couldn't you justify them as standard flamers when required ? 

Dig it!

I am also working on a Deathwatch Kill-team (although for purely modeling reasons), so I like to see what others are doing.

My only critique would be on the female Inquisitor. To me, so far she looks like a skinny Space Wolf.

But I am looking forward to watching your progress, and consider your post followed.

Based on some criticism I got in my Raptors thread that the eyes on my helmets didn't live up to the rest of the paintjob (which is fair I always hate doing eye lenses) I thought I'd have a go at some OSL effects on eye lenses today just as a practice to see if I can pull it off quickly using an airbrush.

heads.JPG

These are the various experiments I did from left to right...

30 PSI, white paint thinned 1:1 with Windowlene about 2 inches away from the helmet. Gave it a quick coat of bloodletter for fun.

20 PSI, white paint thinned 1:1 with Windowlene about 1 inch away from the helmet. Oversprayed with Orange paint and given a coat of Bloodletter.

15 PSI, white paint thinned 1:1 with Windowlene about 1 inch away from the helmet. Oversprayed with Orange paint and given a coat of Bloodletter.

10 PSI white paint thinned 1:2 with Windowlene about 0.5 inches from the helmet. Oversprayed with Orange paint, coat of blood letter then I painted the lenses white, washed them with very thin orange paint and used a dry detail brush to soak up the paint in the middle of each lens. Touched up the helmet with black paint where the light wouldn't reach.

Same as above but I was spraying from an inch away and painted the lens light orange instead of white.

I think the gradient on the beaky is best while the lenses on the last helmet are best. If I can combine the two reliably and quickly I may have a way to do helmet lenses quickly.

Holly smokes !!!

The airbrushed skin looks delicious !!!

You have to post a tutorial !!!

and me I should get an airbrush if only I knew how to say that in Chinese :D

I'm sure my neighbours would appreciate the melody of the compressor.

While it looks cool I thought they were lenses to see through rather than lights. If the inside of the helmet is that bright that you get that much glow from them. Even super human sight would struggle to see out of them.

That sort of glow say from a librarian casting a power or a force/power weapon or light source rocks!

While it looks cool I thought they were lenses to see through rather than lights. If the inside of the helmet is that bright that you get that much glow from them. Even super human sight would struggle to see out of them.

That sort of glow say from a librarian casting a power or a force/power weapon or light source rocks!

A degree of artistic license is allowed I'm sure. Remember the rule of cool :P

I also only have about 3-4 helmets in the entire strike force so making them stand out as much as the marines without helmets is kinda important. Every marine is a hero in the Deathwatch even the Black Shields (albeit sometimes disgraced and repentant  heroes).

What I'll do is give the helmets that are being worn a more subtle glow effect and the ones that are stowed will just get some dark red lenses as if they light up when being worn.

I resprayed 3 of the helmets and had another go trying for a more subtle glow effect.

heads_2.JPG

The first two are the "best" two from the previous batch for comparison. The next three I used 15 PSI about a half inch away with white thinned 1:2 with thinner. I then went back with some thinned black and sprayed the top of the helmet to cover the over spray but still leave a slight tint and did the same on the muzzle to reduce the size of the glow.

The rest of the process was very similar to the beaky helmet. The third helmet I decided to take all the way to finished to see how it would look.

Here is that third helmet on one of the Black Shields.

blackshield_helmet.JPG

I'm quite happy with that result and I'm going to do the other helmets the same way. It may involve painting multiple though so I can pick and choose the best ones. This is the great advantage of painting heads separately!

Lol ... How it's done and looks is very cool. smile.png

Just giving my thoughts on lenses.

Yeah I get what you mean, and normally if I was doing my Raptors I'd go with the realistic interpretation of lenses but I kinda wanted to do these guys differently.

I have now finished the helmets for the behelmeted marines, 4 helmets in total all different designs which was interesting.

helmets.JPG

I kinda winged it on the targetter and it turned out great. Same process as the lenses just using red instead of orange for the overspray and pure blood letter over the white dot on the lens.

I managed to grab some spare moments to paint up some Servitors. I did one test model to completion (base is still drying in the pic) and then set about production lining the others.

What you see here is a progression of Servitors.

servitorswip.jpg

Quite a difference a wash makes between the middle two. Sadly I had to stop here as the washing up needed doing :P Might get more done later.

Those eye lenses are stellar mate. Very good. 

I like the repping of the female power armoured inquisitor, mine is exactly the same for my Malevolents, even down to the red hair! So, a question about the Inquisitor and the Librarian, are they just those roles in name and reversed rules wise or? 

I took a couple of days off from painting but am now back!

Today I finished up the Servitors and the Inquisitor. I'll be doing the bases at the end together as well as any weathering.

inquisition.jpg

Today I painted up the marines with robes.

robed.jpg

Chapters (Left to Right): Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Crimson Fists, Black Templars

I'm not very happy with how the reds on the weapons turned out or the robes themselves (I repainted them 3 times to get to here).

The Dark Angel is firing a combi-plasma which is why there is some blue glow on his torso. I'm still yet to paint his weapon.

THey look fantastic! How are you planning on basing them?

I've got some of these bases coming from eBay...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/The-Hive-scenic-resin-bases-great-for-WH40K-tyranid-carnifex-tervigon-and-gaunt-/00/s/MTE5OFgxNjAw/z/wz8AAOxy63FS4~G1/$_12.JPG

I'm going to be painting the rocks up as sandstone and the spooge in a pastel purplish tone. I'll then be covering the areas in between with Agrellan earth for a cracked desert look. I may apply some rust weathering powders at the end to make it look more Martian and to tie the marines into their bases by getting them covered in the fine alien dust.

Archived