Angels Encarmine 4th Company

I Brother Dallo answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete a "counts as" Mephiston from Codex Blood Angels of total value 250 points on or before August 1st. Success will bring eternal glory to the Angels Encarmine and the sons of Sanguinius and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame till the year-end.

I decided to take things slow and only vow one model to begin with. However I have a tactical squad in the works, complete with bio for each marine which hopefully will make an appearance in the next few weeks and months.

I bought a beaten up broken metal Mephiston off ebay for a few pounds so I decided to fix him up for ETL. This is roughly the state he turned up in. (Excuse the blu-tack, I forgot to take a before photo)

Meph  Pre Cutting 3

I took the arms off with a rusty, 50p hacksaw held together by a paperclip and happy thoughts. Pro tip: Don't. This took the guts of two hours. Then he got some new arms. Again excuse the blu-tack, I'm undecided on the pose. 

Counts As Meph  Pledge shot 3

Originally I went through the swords in my bits box trying to find one that worked, then I thought "This guy ripped a Carnifex to itty-bitty pieces with his bare hands. Forget the sword." I hope that comes across in the photos. His pose isn't finalized. The plasma pistol is from the plastic Commander box set, the arm is the plasma pistol from the old tactical squad box, the open hand is from the Sanguinary Guard, and the other arm is from by bits box, possibly a bolt pistol arm from the assault squad.

I'm undecided on the shoulder pads. Current thinking is the Sevrin Loth librarian pad and a mostly blank pad to freehand the Angels Encarmine symbol onto. Feel free to make suggestions about posing etc.

I'm planning on naming him and giving him a brief background. Any help would be great, as I'm not sure how to justify his Mephiston like stats. A friends suggested just letting him be Meph, but I want a unique Angels Encarmine character.

Thanks for stopping by. Any C&C is greatly appreciated.

I think it's pretty nice tbh. Of course being Meph doesn't he need a sword? Perhaps you could either strap one across his back, or put in the lowered hand as if it's just being carried.

If you don't put a sword in the hand, maybe turn the hand so the palm is facing upwards and do some cool OSL as if he's brewing some nasty powers?

Just suggestions, mind. It's looks great as it is now msn-wink.gif

Thanks for the comment Blissful Brushes. As I said above, I tried all of the sword arms in my bits box, but couldn't get one to work. I do have the sheathed sword from the scouts box, which could go on his back, or maybe give him a knife hilt protruding from his belt.

Hmmmm decisions...

Some OSL on the hand would be pretty awesome, but it may be beyond my abilities atm. I might give it a go, certainly on the plasma pistol coils. I thought about using the open hand for psychic powers, but to make it work, I think the head needs to be facing the same way as the hand. Hacking his shoulder pads off was one thing, turning his head and keeping it intact is quite another.

Since he's pretty statically posed, I wanted a "Come at me, bro!" type pose, rather than an action pose.

Thanks again for the comments guys. It's always encouraging when people comment on your work.

BTW, Brushes, I totally agree with your sig.

Hey guys. Just posting a few WIP pictures of my still unnamed Librarian. Any naming ideas would be appreciated.

So far I've just applied the base coat for most colours, the base is pretty much done,except for neatening up the rim. Please excuse the blu-tack holding the arms on. I like to paint them separately. 

Counts As Meph WIP 12

Counts As Meph WIP 10

Counts As Meph WIP 9

Counts As Meph WIP 8

This is my first time taking pictures, so any advice would be awesome. How can I make my pictures bigger? I've heard it suggested that if you host your pictures outside the BnC you can get better sizes.

Thanks for looking

Dallo

Thanks for the comment man. I'll look into photobucket. Like I said, the colours you see are only the base coat, so all of the red was done using the Mephiston Red spray. I was slightly overzealous with it on his shoulder pads, which is why he doesn't have the forgeworld pad. That will be stripped and used somewhere else.

The tabard and the cloak are going to end up different shades of red. I considered doing it the traditional yellow, but wanted to avoid having three large blocks of colour on the model. each of which was a different primary colour. Colour theory said no. That said, I'm open to suggestions of new colours for the tabard.

Thanks again for your post

Dallo 

So that's two votes for photo bucket. Thanks for the compliment on the pose. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. The open hand has quite a few uses. One of my tactical marines uses it to rest his open hand on the pommel of his combat blade. Thanks for the interest brother. My last exam is on Monday, so hopefully updates should be quicker, and possibly you'll see some additional vows.

Thanks for the comment CatSmasher. I'm pretty happy with the posing. Not sure if it shows but I have my desk lamp shining on the model. I'll try using a second lamp to see if it helps. Thanks again man.

Looks like a good start to me, a smooth conversion with a nice pose. He looks like he's just about to decide if the enemy in front of him will taste some plasma or get a first hand experience of some nasty psychic powers

• 1 month later...

Well, it's taken longer than I was planning, but I've finally finished my (still unnamed) Angels Encarmine Chief Librarian. 

http://i.imgur.com/CtBbfqF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IngDHQP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E7QC8IT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1eC8Nst.jpg

Hopefully the images are better, I've been playing around with various image hosting sites for an hour or two now.

I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. It was my first time doing highlights on power armour, and my first time painting black. Unfortunately, the camera didn't really pick the highlights up too well.

I want to really thank everyone who viewed my log, and a special thanks to everyone who commented with encouragement and suggestions.

I have a few ideas about what to include in my next vow, so watch this space.

Edit: For my second vow, I'm significantly increasing the number of models, if not the points value. 

I Brother Dallo answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete a 5 man scout squad, with meltabombs and powersword, and a Reclusiarch with powerfist and jump pack from Codex Blood Angels of total value 265 points on or before August 1st. Success will bring eternal glory to the Angels Encarmine and the sons of Sanguinius and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame till the year-end.

http://i.imgur.com/JJ2q0lQ.jpg

First power armour highlights you say? Looking quite fine to me. Sure, some washes could give a bit more definition and so but cameras can be troublesome when it comes to showing everything done to a model. I would say the end result is pretty good 

Thanks MrBear. Parts of the model are washed, but I'm using my ipad since it's the best camera I have available. Yeah, I've done highlights on a single Dark Eldar model, but they're still quite new to me. I should get good practise with them on my Reclusiarch. Your nightlords look well. Any photography tips?

Thanks mandaloriano, I will, though I think they look better in person than on camera. Thanks again for all the encouragement to get him finished. Now I just need to avoid failing my next vow and losing all his points.

Thanks MrBear. Parts of the model are washed, but I'm using my ipad since it's the best camera I have available. Yeah, I've done highlights on a single Dark Eldar model, but they're still quite new to me. I should get good practise with them on my Reclusiarch. Your nightlords look well. Any photography tips?

Pretty much a novice when it comes to photography I'm afraid. I just put my models on my kitchen table with all the lamps there turned on and then I rely on the camera, 14.2  Mega Pixels are quite nice to have in that regard.

I found a big green envelope that works pretty good as a background though, I've noticed that my pictures have been better with that than when I used a white background so that could be something for you to try. 

Thanks. I shall be on the look out for a brightly coloured envelope. msn-wink.gif I may have to think about investing in a decent camera, but we'll see. I normally have a few lamps shining on the models from different angles, but I'm at home for the summer, so don't have any of the stuff from my flat.

Thanks deathspectersgt. There are a few things I might touch up later, but for now, I'm happy enough with him.

I have managed a little work in my vow. Today I magnetised my Reclusiarch, and everyone has sand on their bases now, so I'm ready to start painting properly.

Dallo

Archived